Modded SD-1 or Stock OD-3?

89strat

• Members

I just got a boss od-3. It's pretty cool, and so far I'm really digging it. But now I have this older sd-1 lying around not getting used, so I was thinking of sending it off to Analogman for his sd1/808 Boss Asymetrical clipping mod. I already have tube screamers, so I figure I'd keep the boss clipping in there.

Has anybody had experience with these? Are they similar?

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by 89strat

I plan on using it to boost a peavey classic 50, which is already a midrangy kind of amp. I use tube screamers, but sometimes it adds to much mids and muddy's up the tone when used with the lead channel.

I have a Classic 50 and have been experimenting with pedals. The OD-3 is at the top of the list as far as playing nice with this amp. The classic series are finicky about pedals. Another one that sounds incredible--the Monte Allums modded Boss BD-2. I picked mine up off ebay. No mid-range hump, which makes it pair nicely with the Classic series. OD-3 does have some midrange, but nothing like a tubescreamer. You can't go wrong with either of these pedals in my opinion.

• Members

Originally posted by GreatestGains

I have a Classic 50 and have been experimenting with pedals. The OD-3 is at the top of the list as far as playing nice with this amp. The classic series are finicky about pedals. Another one that sounds incredible--the Monte Allums modded Boss BD-2. I picked mine up off ebay. No mid-range hump, which makes it pair nicely with the Classic series. OD-3 does have some midrange, but nothing like a tubescreamer. You can't go wrong with either of these pedals in my opinion.

I just got my hands a stock BD-2, and I kind of like it better than the OD-3 with this amp. It just interacts better, possibly because it's less bassy than the OD-3 and is more natural sounding. I was considering a mod to it though. With my strat, the BD-2 is a bit spikey trebly. The OD-3 does have some nice sustain to it though. Can you comment on the difference between the stock BD-2 and modded?

• Members

I just got my hands a stock BD-2, and I kind of like it better than the OD-3 with this amp. It just interacts better, possibly because it's less bassy than the OD-3 and is more natural sounding. I was considering a mod to it though. With my strat, the BD-2 is a bit spikey trebly. The OD-3 does have some nice sustain to it though. Can you comment on the difference between the stock BD-2 and modded?

Removes the splatty decay at higher gain settings and makes it thicker. Not a subtle mod at all. I highly recommend it. You can get the Monte Allum kits on ebay for 20 bucks.

• Members

Originally posted by inuitdream

Modded OD-3!.. jst did the keeley-prescribed d6, d7 desolder and its much smoother now!

I just did it a few hours ago. MY GOD!!! This really made a bigger difference than I thought. It was a pretty good sounding pedal, but still had the Boss crap on top of the of the sound like their other pedals that made it a bit harsh sounding. Removing those two things made this thing sound so nice and more amp like. I got the gain up around 10:00 with the tone and level at noon. Man, what a geat tone with my les paul and strat. I can't even begin to list the over twenty overdrives I've had gone through to get to this. Could my search be over? :(

Nah! Who'm I kiddin'. I got a monte allums BD-2 H20 kit on the way. But seriousely, I can't imagine it being better than this enormous tone I'm getting from this OD-3.

• Members

I just did it a few hours ago. MY GOD!!! This really made a bigger difference than I thought. It was a pretty good sounding pedal, but still had the Boss crap on top of the of the sound like their other pedals that made it a bit harsh sounding. Removing those two things made this thing sound so nice and more amp like. I got the gain up around 10:00 with the tone and level at noon. Man, what a geat tone with my les paul and strat. I can't even begin to list the over twenty overdrives I've had gone through to get to this. Could my search be over?
:(

Nah! Who'm I kiddin'. I got a monte allums BD-2 H20 kit on the way. But seriousely, I can't imagine it being better than this enormous tone I'm getting from this OD-3.

I find Monte's BD-2 great for getting heavily overdriven tones from the Classic, and adding lots of bass. The key about these pedals sounding good with the classic series is their flat frequency response. Pedals with pronounced mid-hump sound less than stellar with the classic series.

• Members

Originally posted by inuitdream

yeah cool ain't it??.. almost sold mine cause of "boss" sound thing. bt was told by a frend to do the mod. and all i can say is i am a happy camper now. Nice boost for my vintage rat.

wooohoo..

:thu:

The d6, d7 mod. Should I replace these components with a jumper? Does it make a difference?

Archived