phaser/vibe pre-dirt?

• Members

i keep seen a lot of you guys putting phasers /vibes before od, dist, and fuzz , how come?

im in the market for a phaser/ or vibe. dont know witch one yet. but was intrigued by this. i always thoug it was common to use modulation/ shifters after dirt?

• Members

Originally posted by usa83strat

but i like my wah better after dirt! i do use it pre-dirt. but thats because i dont use it dirty ofeten mostly clean.

whats the diference between vibe and phaser?

Well do what you like - if you prefer your wah after leave it that way - a Vibe is an amplitude effect more than modulation but it goes after dirt because it is not a filter ... filters BEFORE dirt always - unless for some reason you like it otherwise. Most if not all the guys here follow that rule, not because they are following rules but because it actually does sound better; me included.

Read the Effects pages for more info on the HC main page.

• Members

TIKI

A lot of folks here run their vibes (specifically, not phaser et al) before dirt, which I thought was crazy until I tried it... Now I'm sold on that configuration, but keep phasers/other modulation at the end of the chain.

So, I'd say try the vibe in both places and see what you like... but wah after dirt just sounds like ASS.

(See J Mascis' butchering of "Maggot Brain" for a prime example.)

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

TIKI

A lot of folks here run their vibes (specifically, not phaser et al) before dirt, which I thought was crazy until I tried it... Now I'm sold on that configuration, but keep phasers/other modulation at the end of the chain.

So, I'd say try the vibe in both places and see what you like... but wah after dirt just sounds like ASS.

(See J Mascis' butchering of "Maggot Brain" for a prime example.)

Yeah, wah after dirt is {censored}ed to my ears and I just would never do it ... same with phaser but I have tried my vibe before my dirt but I didn't like it and I prefer my dirt going into the vibe blender rather my vibe pushing everything after it as it sounds more natural and part of everything rather than it kicking everything elses arse and sitting on it like a fat chick on a beanbag.

• Members

i dont have a vibe or phaser yet, i want one witch is the reason of my inquiry.

i've been listening to clip of phasr and vibes, some vibes sound liek vibratos, some like chorus and phaser in one other more phasie.

vibe sorta remind my of hendrix and trower. plus i read a lot references of them when pitching the pedal.

phaser whell sound like a phaser, i've hada them before. traded some , blew on up. sold the last one i had. and the vibes seem to sound really cool.

so what would be a good vibe. that can do a phase sound at slow speed, and a more warble t higher speed? got about $125

• Members

A phaser or vibe (which is just a type of phaser) is typically used before distortion. Most radical filtering effects sound better before distortion since the distortion evens out the filtering due to its compressive nature.

However, a phaser can sound pretty cool after distortion especially if you have one with a mix control which allows you to adjust the depth of the notches.

As always, there are no "rules". Experiment.

CC

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

So that means phasers and wah's ... vibes after dirt.
;)

Vibe (as long as you mean Uni-Vibe) IS a phaser.

Except for fuzz, obviously, I get all my gain from the amp. I put all my modulation in front of the amp, I just like the more subtle colors you get by doing that rather than in the loop. They are all stomp boxes, though... so they probably respond better to the lower voltage in front of the amp.

• Members

yeah i guess i got confussed to , when i see "vibe" i think uni-vibe, when i see vibrato well that vibrato.

i meant vibe as in uni-vibe kinda deal. so hwat the difference between an univibe and a phaser? less notches/stages.

• Members

Uni-Vibe was the first phaser, but it's technically a small niche of phasing. It uses a bulb in an opto-isolator circuit... There's more but I forgot the details.

EDIT - Of course it uses a bulb in the opto-isolator circuit. lol It's either a bulb or an LED... lol Time for bed.

• Members

Keep in mind that many Uni-vibe clones have a switch that toggles b/w "Chorus" (phasey, classic Hendrix/Trower sound) and "Vibe" (vibrato)... and are thus "Univibes" AND "Vibratos" in one. So the distinction made above is often pointless...

ANYWAY, if I was on your budget, I'd save another $25 and spring for the Lovepedal Magic Boy vibe. It's simple to use, sounds killer, it's compact, you can't go wrong. They even pop up on eBay from time to time for cheap. Saw one this morning for $110 BIN and it's gone gone gone...

• Members

+100 on everything Endo said. Uni-Vibe before all dirt. And get a Lovepedal Vibe. Check eBay and TGP Emporium. They pop up now and then. I have a Mojo Vibe that I love but I A/B'd it with a Lovepedal Vibe (my cousin has one) and if I were starting over, I'd just get the Lovepedal Vibe and be done with it. It is killer and sounds every bit as good as the Mojo and actually does some things better.

• Members

I put both my phase (Ibanez PT909) and my Univibe (PE VibeUnit) after my dirt pedals (Zvex FuzzProbe, Keeley TS9, Fulltone DP1, and MJM Foxey Fuzz). I tried them both before and in between a few of the dirt pedals, and they sounded too subtle to my ear. I moved them after and they both stood out better. Even with the fuzzes, neither the phase or univibe was over bearing. But what do I know, I have a Fulltone DP1 on my board and everyone hates those. :p

• Members

Interesting ... my chain goes thus -

Whammy 4 ( Filters/pitch )

Ph-1r ( Filter )

Marshall Guv MK-1

AMZ Cheese Tone

MXR Blue Box + Fish n Chips

Barber Tone Press ( Boost/Comp )

VB-2 ( Vibrato )

A/DA Flanger ( Modulation )

Rocktron tremolo ( Amplitude )

DD20 + DE7

I find the placement of these effects is prime for my rig but again it always varies for different people.

Archived