Hmm...Islam.

• Members
Originally posted by sonaboy

"blah blah blah i think Virginia is dumb ain't they all got axes and live in the woods blah blah"

:mad: :mad: :mad:
that sort of generalization is right up there with stating that all christians = Pat Robertson or all muslims = Osama B.L.

that being said, i LIVE in a city in Virginia and i DO carry an axe. at all times.
here's my father at a woodcutting contest in Britain many moons ago:

91150e0s.jpg

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by preservation

:mad:
that sort of generalization is right up there with stating that all christians = Pat Robertson or all muslims = Osama B.L.

that being said, i LIVE in a city in Virginia and i DO carry an axe. at all times.

here's my father at a woodcutting contest in Britain many moons ago:

91150e0s.jpg

i SAID it was a sarcastic statement, you dumb {censored}ing hick.

do they have pants that fit in Britain?

• Members

Its a sad world, and acts like this do nothing to help the growing fear of islam as a religion and the resulting segregations and dislike of the other 99% of muslims who are no different from any of us (christians, jews, rock stars), just they do to a different church, sadly the few who do decide to be extremist and plan things like this tar everyone

They want muslim prisoners in Canada and Afganistan released? like {censored} that will happen, if a muslim is in jail, its likely for breaking a law that would have the same consequence for everyone else, not just for religion (though at the moment I can see a few more muslims ending up in jail from things like the riots about the cartoon strip a while back and things like the plan here)

99% of muslims are normal people, only the few extreme ones causing trouble, and the same goes for any other religion or social group, just sadly muslims seem to be in the news more recently after things like the cartoon strip

David

• Members

I am against Muslims.

Well, in fact, I am against all sorts who are willing to believe that a book written 1000+ years ago is the final and ultimate arbitor of truth. This, of course, includes Christians and Jews.

However, the PC myth of "peaceful Islam" is becoming quite tiresome. Islam is, in fact, a dangerous religion that will continue to threaten everyone around it as it has done for 1000 years. The Koran is unequivocal in its injunctions to kill non-believers. It says so in various ways throughout the text.

Some of the greatest hits:
"Slay them wherever you find them. Drive them out of the places from which they drove you. Idolatry is worse than carnage. If they attack you put them to the sword. Fight against them until idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme." (2:190-93)

"Fighting is obligatory for you, as much as you dislike it. But you may hate a thing although it is good for you and love a thing although it is bad for you. God knows but you know not." (2:216)

"Let the believers not make friends with the infidels in preference to the faithful - he that does this has nothing to hope for from God - except in self-defense." (3:28)

"We will put terror into the hearts of the unbelievers. The Fire shall be their home." (3:149-151)

"If you should die or be slain in the cause of God, God's forgiveness and his mercy will surely be better than all the riches [the unbelievers] will amass." (3:156)

Blah blah blah.

It goes on and on and on. The only consistent Islam is fundamentalist Islam. The rest of it is a bunch of half-assers who aren't willing to be consistent in their convictions. (Likewise for Christianity).

However, make no mistake about it. Islam is a religion of war.

By the way, before anyone says it, this is not racism. I am against their ideas, not their skin color. Any one who holds those ideas (i.e. Cat Stevens) I am against.

It is time to stop pussyfooting around matters of religious faith - be it Christians, Muslims or Jews etc. Having unjustified belief in unprovable claims while demanding others believe in said claims is an attack upon the core values of rationality and decency. But, the majority of us have adopted the multi-cultural position that Faith is beyond reproach and unattackable. However, when George W. Bush stops stem-cell research because he believes a guy rose from the dead 2000 years ago we cannot sit by and let such absurdities go unattacked.

It is time for rationalists, atheists and humanists to go on the offensive.

• Members

Originally posted by scotron

I had a whole big {censored}ing rant planned out here.. but let me simply say that you are clearly not "a pretty peaceful open-minded dude" by your comments made in white ink (how hilariously apt... whitewashed).

terrorism is bad. so is racist jingoism. {censored} you.

I don't know what you're talking about. Anyway Toronto is a {censored}hole and it's a damn shame the terrorists didn't blow it to hell.

Ruh roh. White Text Society has been discovered. Bail out, dudes. BAIL OUT!

• Members

To me religion is a crutch man used to first explain the mysterious bumps in the night and the stars in the sky. Then that crutch became a crook to herd his fellow man along, and then a bat to beat them down with. Religion embraces ignorance - Faith - and a zombie mentality. Never look behind the curtain. Who are you to question gods will? Do as your told. Kill the heretic.

At the heart of Islam is the same set of principles : Do this or else, this is the only way, all the others are wrong, spread our way by book or by sword.

Just as the spanish inquisition or crusades, or countless forgotten village, towns, communes that were 'enlightened/saved' by 'missionaries' spreading their own brand of foul ignorance.

Religion is one the greatest threats to the progression of mankind. It stands in the way of scientific investigation, and spreads fear, hate, and intolerance. It exists only to control and propagate itself.

Throw away the crutches. Look behind the curtain. Hold accountable those who shun it and hide behind their Invisible Sky Bullies.

• Members

theres a big difference b/w religion and faith.

No, they are not the same thing. But they are inexorably intertwined. Practically, there seems to be no religion without faith - although I am not sure they are necessarily, a priori, connected.

However, make no mistake. I am attacking both religion and faith - individually and as a package deal.

Faith is the only thing that drives humans to fly planes into buildings and burn witches at the stake. The worst atrocities of humanity lie exclusively in the purview of unquestioned, unjustified belief. Ironically, we humans seem to be construed to have conviction be inversely proportional to evidence. In other words, the less evidence we have of something the more sure we are of its truth and the more we are willing to perform ridiculous actions in the name of it.

Opponents may cite examples of the benefits of faith; charity, love, self-confidence, beneficence, beautiful artwork, transcendent feelings of oneness blah blah blah. I do not deny that these things exist. However, they do not occur only with faith. Humans all over the world can have these feelings and perform these actions without being backed by unprovable convictions. But the atrocities of faith - which this entire community could list in chorus for centuries and still not give an adequate accounting or lamenting - are solely in faith's jurisdiction.

• Members

Religions have used "faith" as the ultimate sleight of hand trick in human history. They have taken the greatest flaw in their product, and managed to twist it around in such a manner as to make it the cornerstone of self assessment. Its the ultimate spin.
You are only truely religious if you believe in spite of the overwhelming lack of evidence, consistency, and reproducibility.

Faith, our blind sworn allegiance to the mindless principles of lemmings following one another off of a cliff.

I have no Faith of this sort, and I hope I never do. To have such would mean a weakness of intellect and standards which I have no interest in acquiring.

• Members

in the past few months i've realized there really is no point in arguing these types of things on internet messageboards.
i hope you can stay so certain of the platform you're standing on in the future, it really does seem like you've got it all figured out.

• Members

i hope you can stay so certain of the platform you're standing on in the future, it really does seem like you've got it all figured out.

Actually, this is an injunction that should be said of faith. Faith is non-evolutionary. Revealed truth is unchangeable and non-negotiable. If anyone needs to hope that they have it right it is the person of faith.

My beliefs evolve and change constantly. I am not claiming I am sure that the propositions of, say, Christianity are not true, only that such claims are highly improbable. With regards to meaningful, non-tautological knowledge this is the best we can hope for.

It is the person who is postive that they are right and I am wrong who better hope they've got it all figured out.

As for arguing this stuff on internet boards: well, in many ways prefer it to arguments in person. Anger can be abated, statements can be carefully measured and placed, no one can claim they didn't state something, evidence can be cited. All good stuff.

• Members

I dont claim to have all the answers, nor does science. My mind is open to evidence in support of the claims purported by the religious. That which has been presented doesnt measure up.

I do know that if the god of the judeo-christian mythologies does exist as described, it is not an entity I care to hold in high regard, least of all worship. It is a fickle, shallow, dictator that is either insane, or blatantly malicious and hypocritical.

Archived