which effects are bad for your ears?

Vatican

• Members

I would guess any effects boosting or emphasising the high end of the signal, as thats the bit of the spectrum that takes its toll quickest

no effect will be bad for you without volume though, so while ring mods may put out horrible sounds and screetches, at an acceptable volume you should be fine, only when you are cranking up does it really become an issue

David

• Members
Originally posted by Uma Floresta

Any effect with headphones for any extended period of time!
:mad:

But yes, octave up exacerbates it.

I don't see why headphones are necessarily worse. It's one thing if you're trying to hear headphones in a subway, but if you're at home, what's the difference between an amp and a set of headphones, assuming it is not loud?

• Members

Originally posted by Vatican

I don't see why headphones are necessarily worse. It's one thing if you're trying to hear headphones in a subway, but if you're at home, what's the difference between an amp and a set of headphones, assuming it is not loud?

I think headphones are worse because the sound goes straight to your ears, instead of being "treated" by the room and then "received" by the ears.

• Members
Originally posted by onbongos

it's like a open vs. closed back cab

Only that's attached to the sides of the head. :D

Anyway, I guess any effect would make me go :mad: after an extended period of time.

Octave up, flanger, ring modulator and (a lot of) reverb being first in the list followed by everything else (including distortion).

• Members
Originally posted by Vatican

I don't know, I just know that my ears are ringing again and I'm going to have to force myself not to play guitar (or to at least just do acoustic) and not listen to music for a while. :mad::cry:

• Members

The last couple of times I plugged in my old russian big muff I have gotten sharp pain in my ears.wHENE i BEND DOWN TO FIDDLE W/THE KNOBS the angle just finds my ear drum and rapes it.I fn hate big muffs now.Anyone want mine?Its such a stale cold harsh piece of elephant dung.That what they should have called it,the russian s.c.h.p.o.e.d.

• Members

Originally posted by outstanding

The last couple of times I plugged in my old russian big muff I have gotten sharp pain in my ears.wHENE i BEND DOWN TO FIDDLE W/THE KNOBS the angle just finds my ear drum and rapes it.I fn hate big muffs now.Anyone want mine?Its such a stale cold harsh piece of elephant dung.That what they should have called it,the russian s.c.h.p.o.e.d.

Yeah, I'll take it. I won't even charge you for it, because I care about your ears.

Ain't I sweet?

Archived