Switch Help Needed!

• Members

I need some help identifying which switches i need and i thought you guys in the effects forum might be able to help me out since there's so many DIYers here.

I currently have a Laney VC50 amp that uses a 4 button footswitch with a 5 pin DIN connector. Recently i picked up a Fender cybertwin footswitch off ebay which also is a 4 button footswitch that uses a 5 pin DIN connector.

The problem is that although change the correct channels, they only do so while the buttons are held down. As soon as i take my foot off the switch the channel switches back to the original channel.

I have been told that i need to change the switches out for different ones but i'm not sure which ones! I know there are DPDT, SPST and many other types around but i don't know which ones i should be using.

Also, is the fact that the switches are mounted to a circuit board going to make this more difficult?

• Members

Originally posted by funkywrench

I have been told that i need to change the switches out for different ones but i'm not sure which ones! I know there are DPDT, SPST and many other types around but i don't know which ones i should be using.

It seems like a lucky strike that the pins in the DIN connector matches for both amps - did someone tell you it'd work, or was it just a lucky guess?

Anyway, the switches seem to be momentary (non-latching). For the Laney, you need latching switches instead. The difference is exactly what you describe - momentary switches close the circuit until you let go of them, while latching switches keeps the circuit closed until you step on them again.

Also, is the fact that the switches are mounted to a circuit board going to make this more difficult?

Yes and no. It will make the selection of switches you can use a lot smaller - if you want to use the circuit board you need to find out the make and model of switch that's already in there, and find the latching version of the same switch. You can probably get away with a different brand of switch too, as long as the pins match the holes in the pcb.

/Andreas

• Members

One more stupid question if i could...

Does SPST or DPDT or whatever combinations of those are available have anything to do with whether the switches are latching or momentary? Or can you get latching or momentary versions of either?

I've been scoping some out on ebay but i dont want to buy the wrong switches!

• Members

SPDT, DPDT etc refers to the number of poles and throws the switch has - for instance, an SPDT has a single pole that connects to one of two throws, A DPDT is essentially two separate SPDT switches operating from the same stomp actuator.

Latching vs unlatching (momentary) refers to wether the switch stays "switched over" as you let go of the switch, or if it only switches to the other throw as long as you keep your foot down. Most switches are available in both latching and unlatching versions.

Regular stompswitches sold on ebay etc will usually be latching unless otherwise noted. But you should always check the model number at the manufacturer's website or mouser.com to verify what type it is.

/Andreas

Archived