Why is it so important that you like builders as a person?

• Members

I've read heaps of times where folks here have said "[iNSERT NAME HERE] is a great guy! I wouldn't hesitate buying pedals of him!" But why is it so important to you all that the builder's a "great guy"? After all, you're not trying to date him -you're buying a pedal.

I personally couldn't care less what the builders are like as a person. You exchange money for goods and you're on your merry way.

Anyway, if I was a builder who actually cared about my "internet reputation"...I'd just have an official username to pour on the syrup with and an alias to troll with. :D

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

if you ever have a problem with a pedal it is nice to know that the guy is a standup guy and will treat you right instead of telling you to {censored} yourself

*raises glass*

• Members

it basically ties into the "service" aspect of the transaction.

when a vendor is personable, it makes the purchase more enjoyable.

i thought this was common sense.

i wouldn't buy a pedal from an asshole.

• Members

It's not as if pedal problems are so complex that you'll be stranded for life without the original builder's help. Most pedal failures are caused by mechanical things like detatched wires or a bad switch...and these can be fixed by anyone with a soldering iron.

• Members

Originally posted by State 6000

It's not as if pedal problems are so complex that you'll be stranded for life without the original builder's help. Most pedal failures are caused by mechanical things like detatched wires or a bad switch...and these can be fixed by anyone with a soldering iron.

what about the 90% of guitarist that don't own one?

• Members

Take it to a music store's repair guy?

Will a music store guy fix the pedal, mod another pedal for free for the inconveniance, and enclose crisp $ bills to cover the cost of the freight to return it. That is customer service.:wave:

• Members

Will a music store guy fix the pedal, mod another pedal for free for the inconveniance, and enclose crisp $ bills to cover the cost of the freight to return it. That is customer service.
:wave:

What's next? Dinner and a movie? I mean, there's being professional, and there's bending over and dropping your pants.

• Members

What's next? Dinner and a movie? I mean, there's being professional, and there's bending over and dropping your pants.

Are you a {censored}ty-personality builder?

If so, don't look for much business here.

• Members

being professional is knowing how to make the customer happy, and fixing your mistakes to keep your business healthy.

sometimes you have to go that extra mile to keep the reputation of your company intact, especially at the early stages.

• Members

It's not important to me, outside of I'm more likely to want to support someone that I don't think is a dick. I'm less likely to buy Fulltone stuff because he has a rep for being a jerk. It doesn't mean I absolutely wouldn't buy it, but I'm less likely to. A restaurant with bad service but good food is less likely to have repeat customers that one with good service as well as good food.

• Members

Originally posted by mumford

It's not important to me, outside of I'm more likely to want to support someone that I don't think is a dick. I'm less likely to buy Fulltone stuff because he has a rep for being a jerk. It doesn't mean I absolutely wouldn't buy it, but I'm less likely to. A restaurant with bad service but good food is less likely to have repeat customers that one with good service as well as good food.

Yeah but you know who Mike Fuller is. I'm considering whether to embark on a "total asshole" marketing campaign for my pedals. It worked for the Beastie Boys. I mean, think about all the chicks that total jerks can pull.

• Members

This must be a troll thread because State 6000 is just refutting all of the informed responses with crap. Waste of time really so I will move along and let him get it out his system.

I'm a powder keg of rage!

Perhaps my customer service should be a toll-free number that just has a recorded message of me yelling at you.

• Members

First off...you may be suprised at the amount of people that have no clue about fixing guitar equipment. Second, If the pedal breaks and is still under the builders warranty then the builder should be responsible and honor it.

• Members

It's pretty much been said before, but to cite another example-- I had a pedal go fritzy on me once, and the builder not only paid shipping both ways to fix it for me (for free), they overnighted me another brand new pedal to use in the interim...

The same builder responded to all my stupid questions before and after taking my $ very quickly, and with good humor. Why WOULDN'T you prefer buying pedals from someone like that?

Especially if you buy second hand and trade here on the forums, it's good to know a builder will still help you out if something goes wrong, even though you weren't the original buyer and didn't mail in a warranty card... try that with Fulltone, Boss, et al.

• Members

who?

Originally posted by endo23

It's pretty much been said before, but to cite another example-- I had a pedal go fritzy on me once, and the builder not only paid shipping both ways to fix it for me (for free), they overnighted me another brand new pedal to use in the interim...

The same builder responded to all my stupid questions before and after taking my $ very quickly, and with good humor. Why WOULDN'T you prefer buying pedals from someone like that?

Especially if you buy second hand and trade here on the forums, it's good to know a builder will still help you out if something goes wrong, even though you weren't the original buyer and didn't mail in a warranty card... try that with Fulltone, Boss, et al.

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

It's pretty much been said before.....it's good to know a builder will still help you out if something goes wrong, even though you weren't the original buyer and didn't mail in a warranty card... try that with Fulltone, Boss, et al.

danelectro (evets corp.) will take care of you :thu:

Archived