• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

First Album (on cassette tape): Greatest Hits by Air Supply

B000002VC1.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

edit:
:cry:

I think that record even made Guinness.;)

Look on the bright side...one day, when both of those bastards are dead, they'll come back into favour and your signed Air Supply lunch box will be worth a mint...

...a wafer thin mint.

• Members

I had a lot of 45s as a kid-- Convoy (I still have a soft spot for CW McCall, he was one of those people my dad and I shared), Dukes of Hazzard theme, Greatest American Hero theme, sensing a "theme?"

My mom got me Billy Joel's 52 Street and my sister Olivia Newton John's Physical at some point. Those were our first records that were "ours" and not our parents.

But the first ones I bought for myself were the Police's Synchronicity and Men Without Hats (the one with Safety Dance) I got on tape the same day.

I still have all that vinyl, but not the tapes. I still love Synchronicity (well, pretty much everything the Police did, really.)

But the big album of my childhood was the only rock album my parents owned (they were Folk music people): The Beatles Hey Jude EP. I listened to it so much my mom told me I could go deaf from hearing the same sounds over and over. A lot of those songs remain probably my biggest influence and my favorite of the Beatles material-- Ballad of John and Yoko, Rain, Old Brown Shoe, Lady Madonna, etc.

• Members
Originally posted by 4Kenoath

I think that record even made Guinness.
;)

Look on the bright side...one day, when both of those bastards are dead, they'll come back into favour and your signed Air Supply lunch box will be worth a mint...

...a
wafer thin
mint.

The guy on the right of the Air Supply album cover? I grew with his kids in the 70's- we all lived together touring on the road ... Graham Russell - he's like 6'7! Both he and the singer Russel Hitchcock were both in Jesus Christ Superstar with my old man so we were all thick as thieves - Stevie Wright included. :)

{censored}ing awful music though.

• Members

First recorded music purchases:

45's
-"Shadow Dancing" - Andy Gibb
-"I Love a Rainy Night" - Eddie Rabbit
-"The Logical Song" - Supertramp
-"Start Me Up" - The Rolling Stones

LP's
-"Saturday Night Fever" - Bee Gees
-"Eagles Live"

Cassette
-"Yellow Submarine" - The Beatles

CD
-"Cloud Nine" - George Harrison
-"Van Halen I" - Van Halen

• Members

My first record was Grand Funk Railroad - E Pluribus Funk
Never really got into cassettes.
I cannot remember which cd I first bought. There are too many in my collection. (Hell I have a rough time remembering which was the last one):confused::thu:

• Members

First 45's were Bad Bad Leroy Brown and Sunshine on my Shoulder in '76 :D

First Lp's were Kiss Alive II and Hotel California in '77 - I like the album covers but had never heard the music:thu:

Cd- Robert Johnson Collection - never heard him only all the covers of his stuff.

• Members

First music I bought...I was like 8...KISS Alive on 8-track!!!!!!
First record player I got for x-mas a few years later in 1978~79 and it came with LPs: Van Halen 1, Jefferson Starship's freedom from point Zero, Greatful Dead's Go to Heaven, Zep II, Jethro Tull's Aqualung, and Yes (w/roundabout). Never purchased a 45 (single). I was always into albums. Product of the 70s/80s.
Still have those origionals today on LP. I'm feeling like dusting off the old record player and spinning a few. I went to CDs pretty quickly but still collected records (when they were cheap).

• Members

I still buy records on vinyl. I go to used record stores- Wax & Facts in Atlanta is a favorite. And I go to flea markets. Mostly I look for jazz and old school country. Got alot of Webb Pierce last time I went record shopping. I have around 5000 records in all.

• Members
Originally posted by adolf

YUP!

Reason I play bass.....AMAZING!

:thu:

Great bass player too ... I play bass myself but was always influenced by ...

David J - Bauhaus
Jah Wobble - PIL
Barry Adamson - Magazine
Steve Severin - Siouxsie

If you ever get a chance also check out Glen Matlocks lines on No Lip from Swindle - that's tasty!

Archived