Univibe question

jb1911

• Members

I have been looking at Fulltone's Mini Deja Vibe lately with lust in my eyes. The sound samples have me thinking that I could be Jimi Hendrix. What exactly is a Univibe? Is it like a Leslie or a flanger?

• Members

The Univibe is a 'Rotating Speaker Simulator', it was designed to sound like a Leslie. It sounds nothing like a Leslie, however... but it does sound very good as a new effect at the time. Basically, it was the first Phaser Shifter and it used an incadecent bulb with photo resistors as opposed to most of the modern transistor or fet based phasers.

I love my Dunlop Uni-Vibe, and I'd really like to try out the Mayer and some other clones... but yeah it does sound like Hendrix. :)

• Members

I had a mini deja vibe for a while and I was less than impressed. I have a Foxrox Provibe (in my CC2) as well as a Voodoo Labs MicroVibe. Either I would take over the Deja Vibe. Maybe it was just the unit that I got but it was brighter than other vibes (which is not a bad thing) but it clipped when it was pushed. I always have a boost and a compressor before my vibes so that didn't work for me.

In all seriousness, the Voodoo Labs Microvibe is a hell of a pedal for the money. I can nail the Trower stuff with it no problem.

That said, I think Trower used a Deja Vibe. :D

• Members

Originally posted by pellek

Try the mOJO_VIBE just got one in the mail, and it is awesome. And cheaper than the Fulltone!

just got my mojo yesterday...can't wait to get it on my board. i had one years ago and i don't think any other vibes beat it sonically.

• Members
Originally posted by PFDarkside

I love my Dunlop Uni-Vibe, and I'd really like to try out the Mayer and some other clones... but yeah it does sound like Hendrix.
:)

+1

I was really, really suprised with the Dunlop. I think I'd even take it over the Deja Vibe. Check out the Danelectro Chicken Salad, too.

• Members

Originally posted by jimihalen

+1

I was really, really suprised with the Dunlop. I think I'd even take it over the Deja Vibe. Check out the Danelectro Chicken Salad, too.

I played a used Deja Vibe (the big tan one) at GC and I was not impressed... Maybe it was a bad one and that's why it was traded in. But yeah, I preferred the Dunlop to it.

I'll check out the Chicken Salad. I mean for that cheap...

• Members
Originally posted by PFDarkside

The Univibe is a 'Rotating Speaker Simulator', it was designed to sound like a Leslie. It sounds nothing like a Leslie, however... but it does sound very good as a new effect at the time. Basically, it was the first Phaser Shifter and it used an incadecent bulb with photo resistors as opposed to most of the modern transistor or fet based phasers.

I love my Dunlop Uni-Vibe, and I'd really like to try out the Mayer and some other clones... but yeah it does sound like Hendrix.
:)

Well summed up.
I tried the Deja vibe a couple of weeks ago, but decided on the Roger Mayer Voodoo vibe instead. Sounds as good if not better, is

• Members

Originally posted by costanza

Got 5 Vibes. One doesn't blow away another. All are great....adjust to taste, IMO.

Got the limited edition Trower/Fulltone signed ann Mini-Deja, Mojo, Tubevibe, RM Voodoovibe and the Dunlop Univibe

A Trower signed one-too cool. Since you have 5, how do you think the Dunlop sounds in comparison to the others? I have the Dunlop and am curious as to how it compares since I haven't tried any others.

Good to see the Dunlop getting some love around here.

• Members

The MojoVibe is a definite winner. I like it better than the others I've tried, but obviously, YMMV.

(The FoxRox ProVibe was also beautiful, but had too many adjustments. Sometimes simpler is better.)

If you're on a budget, why not check out the Lovepedal Magicboy?

• Members

I know a lot of people seem to prefer the mojo, but the fact that Trower uses the Fulltone sorta seals the deal for me.

To me, Bridge of Sighs is THE vibe sound.

Originally posted by costanza

Got 5 Vibes. One doesn't blow away another. All are great....adjust to taste, IMO.

Got the limited edition Trower/Fulltone signed ann Mini-Deja, Mojo, Tubevibe, RM Voodoovibe and the Dunlop Univibe

• Members

Originally posted by surfcat

A Trower signed one-too cool. Since you have 5, how do you think the Dunlop sounds in comparison to the others? I have the Dunlop and am curious as to how it compares since I haven't tried any others.

Good to see the Dunlop getting some love around here.

The Fulltone Trower Mini Deja is 1 of 100 that came with the Fender Trower Strat that they only made 100 of.

The Dunlop sounds good. I know nothing of the build quality, but it is not true bypass, at least not when using the foot controller, and it's kinda noisy before a gain amp or before od/distortion pedals.

Archived