how many of you sing and play guitar live?

• Members

I am the lead singer and guitar player in my band. I find the whole stompbox thing a nightmare and at the moment only use 2 along with a midi controller for a PODxt.

I'm interested to see how complicated some of your setups are even when you have to sing, play and stomp all at the same time.

• Members

I'm not the lead singer but will lead certain songs. I have a good selection of pedals on the board but only use a couple at a time.

If I'm not singing lead I can experiment with effects during the middle of a song.

However, when I'm singing I won't be screwing around much during the song. I kinda have things set up before the song starts. If there is an effect to be switched on in the middle of the song, I will make sure that I only have to step on one switch with the looper to turn it on and take it out. The looper helps to simplify things.

• Members

I attempt to be a lead singer, while playing lead / rhythm guitar, and have about a dozen or more pedals on my board and a wah on the side... I am just this year learning to switch effects while playing and singing, in the past usually used one sound pretty much the whole song. It's finally getting easier. Also helps if you remember the words (I usually have music on a mic stand but that makes it tougher).

I ache after playing songs like Electric Funeral where I have to play the wah the whole song with weight on one leg while reaching over... good thing we have a lot of pain killers around when we play ;)

• Members

I (try to) sing, stomp box dance, play guitar (badly) and occassionally play synths all at the same time. Singing and stomp box dancing is mega fun, you really should try it. Especially with an expression pedal or a ZVex probe....

• Members

I have sung and played in every band I've ever been in, with the exception of theatrical productions and jazz groups. I definitely prefer singing and playing to just playing. I suppose it ups the "dig me" factor.

I generally have a huge pedal board, I guess I'm just used to it, I just don't use the way pedal while I sing. ;)

One thing that helps is that my amp has two inputs instead of a channel switcher, so I have two independant effects lines (after the first couple, at least.) When I first got it, I thought that was a dumb way to design an amp, now I wish I'd always had it. Simplifies things significantly.

I also tend not to use tons of effects while I'm singing, unless they're the "leave it on" type. I don't want anything to step on the vocals.

• Members

Originally posted by Gorgon90

Stompbox tap dancing while singing was the reason I got a Midi Controlled switching/looping system.

Now, one tap and it's all done.

But it's FUN! It is the reason why I got a custom routing box done, if I'm compeltely honest.

• Members

My effects are pre-set so I don't need to bend over and adjust. I tend to not do alot of switching mid song. Boost a solo, add gain to a chorus, many times I just get my color changes mid-song via guitar knob adjustments.
I also sing lead and harmony vocals. I guess over the years I have learned to make the "on the fly" adjustments and really don't think about it. I also always idolized guys like Freddie King who could deliver both vocal and solo lines, with equal authority, at will, together, back to back, etc...not that I am nearly as capable its just something I've always practiced.

• Members

i sing lead and do guitar, the key i've found is that its best to have another guitarist, that way if something were to happen its not as noticable. but as far as switching pedals, thats not really a problem if you practice at which precise place you will hit them in a song. my biggest problem i find is swelling with the vol pedal, it can be a nightmare if your mic is in the wrong place.

• Members

I have (though I have not played live in that role and my last band is now deceased) and it is definately an underappreciated skill to manage primary guitar chores, vocals, and a large pedalboard. Here is my board:

PedalboardSKBopen.jpg

The songs I wrote were fairly effects-laden and I used the DD-20 to loop, too.

• Members

I sing sometimes and will when I absolutely have to. But overall I'd rather not sing and concentrate on guitar and/or steel depending on what I am playing at the time.
I rarely have more than one or two effects on a gig, usually just a DD20. I rarely mess with it while I am singing.

• Members

This is interesting. Most people it seems like have just one or 2 fx changes in a song if they are singing. I'd love to be more experimental but i just can't 'jam' on my pedals whilst singing the song in rehearsal, so i tend to never even come up with fx ideas.

Maybe i need to join a 2nd band where i can just play guitar nad mess with pedals.

• Members

I do, I am the singer/guitarist in a blues/jazz/rock power trio, and I also play a lot of solo acoustic shows.

My rig is pretty simple (I planned it that way), and lets me concentrate on playing & singing without tapdancing all over the place. My rig is......

Fender USA Ash Telecaster (Main guitar)
Fender MIM Stratocaster (Backup guitar)
Lovepedal MagicVibe > Boss DD-20
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 45 1x12 combo
w/ five button footswitch(Channel 1, Channel 2, Channel 3, Boost, Reverb).

all wired with Gold Monster Rock Cable, and a Korg tuner on top of the amp (out of the signal chain).

The only thing I may add is a good envelope filter, but that is still up in the air, and maybe a smaller amp for small bars or sit in's with other bands.

My acoustic rig is a Alvarez Artist 5212 > DD-20 > Crate Taos acoustic amp.

Archived