Holiday with girlfriend OR two gigs?

Lanefair

• Members

The inevitable has happened. I thought I'd covered all bases and got the time off to go away with my lady (i kind of promised), but it turns out the band booked a well paying cover gig AND put us in a fairly high profile battle of the bands. This last one is a pain because it's quite important and I kind of agreed to do the date ages ago and forgot about it and no one confirmed we were actually doing it.

Anyway the band's pissed, my lady is pissed. Whatever I decide to do someones going to be pissed (all the dates are non negotiable)

Shall I just stay home and play the blues?

• Members

if you're at all serious about her...i mean if you think she's keeper material you might want to let her know how important these gigs are to you- hopefully she'll understand and you can make it up to her.

hopefully your band will understand that your lady friend is important to you, but i believe they'll be a bit less forgiving...

• Members

It's kind of my fault for saying I had the time free, and not entirely booking the time off with the band.

BUT - We hadn't actually got round to booking the holiday, so nothing's lost in that sense.

ALSO - I've never had to cancel a gig with the band in over 2 years, I kinda feel like I'm entitled to make an exception.

The jury's out on which one I'm more devoted to at the moment.

• Members

if you haven't booked the holiday, why can't you reschedule it?

all in all its a tough question, with my girlfriend it would be clear to do the gigs and doing the holidays afterwards, but thats mine, and i'm an organisational genie so i almost can schedule everything at least two months ahead and/or can reschedule most things at the last minute *grin*

on the other hand, a girl friend has a place in your life, and also a band has a place in your life, if they both fight for the same, i think the girlfriend will always lose, cause if she can't live with the band i can't live with her.
on the other hand i would not do everything for the band, but if those are really important gigs for the band and for yourself, i think your gf should it understand

• Members

Originally posted by DICKTRON

If'n you decide on missing the two gigs, you girlfriend owes you a threesome.

Two gigs, or two girls??????

LMAO

Great idea but I doubt you'd get it.

Grovel and promise her you'll make it up to her and do the gigs.

After all, your take from the cover gig could help fund a better holiday, while if the battle of the bands gets you more work then that's more money coming in to treat her right with.

• Members

I'd say do the gigs...re-schedule the holiday for the day after the second gig and extend the said holiday by 7 days....also, do not have any alcohol at the gigs, to show to her that it's something important to you, and that you have to be focused.

women LOVE pampering....she'll be totaly up for waiting in order to get more time chilling out.

:cool:

• Members

give her all the money you make on the gig. every new year's eve I have to gig and I can't be with wife so I give her the money and she's happy. It's worth it to keep the peace with everyone, she would have gotten the money anyway.

• Members

Piss off one person, or piss off a bunch of people? Do the gigs and then take dancing lessons or something with the lady. Its a lot easier to kiss one person's ass than to kiss a collective ass.

• Members

If someone in my band was in that sort of situation I'd tell them to either do the gigs or get replaced. It just depends on the type of band you are. If it's a hobby thing then maybe the gigs aren't that important anyway. If you're a serious band trying to be successful then sacrifices are going to have to be made for the benefit of the group.

• Members

Ive been in this situation once before as well. In the end, although it cost a fortune I had to fly back from my holiday (an hours flight) to do the gig, then fly back the next morning. Sure it cost me a small fortune, but it kept everybody happy and the flights were tax deductable anyway, so in the end I got my money back, and the taxman got screwed. It all worked out good...

I got a holiday with my wife
I got to gig with the band
The Taxman got screwed for the airfare

so we all did ok:D

Archived