does anyone NOT have an mp3 player?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They're $170 for the old 20gb on Amazon, I want one desperatley. I'd love to have all of my albums in my pocket. It'd be great to take on the ride to work, at work, school, hiking, hell, everywhere. That, and I wouldn't jack up my CDs anymore from being kicked around in my car, they'd all rest conveintly in their cases in my bedroom.

• Members

I have a 40 gig Creative that I got about 2-3 years ago. I think they are the best thing around. I have mp3'd my most of my collection and love being able to travel (I travel a lot for work)with 1000's of songs.:thu:

• Members

I picked up an 8gb zen micro so I can load the songs I record on it and carry them around with me when I want to go to a coffee shop or if I want to go to the park for the day and work on lyrics, vocal melodies, etc. its very useful...I can hear a difference in quality, but it doesn't really bother me...I still have my vinyl collection to listen to if I want quality :thu:

plus having another 1500 songs at my fingers is always nice

• Members

I don't but I would like to get one for the gym, work, riding bike, etc. but as many others, I think of all the pedals I could buy with that intead.

I also have an issue with the sound quality as well. I just ot a $1200 system put in my truck and I would rather not put compressed digital files through it. Plus CD's sound somewhat sterile enough so its just adding to the coldness of it.

With that i want a 40 Gb player:thu: :D

• Members
Originally posted by aeroslepperin

i have a poor-man's ipod - read: discman. yeah, it's a pain in the ass to carry cd's everywhere, but...i still like my cd's....and well, records for that matter.

haha that's what I have. I still get funny looks at the gym when everyone has their little mp3 players stapped to their arm and I have my huge $20 discman hanging off my waistband. :o

• Members

Don't have one. I am a geek and really into gadgets, but they have never appealed to me. Yeah MP3s usually sound like crap, but on the other hand the high capacity of most players is very convenient. The problem I have is, I have absolutely no reason to haul 100s of albums around with me for any reason. Now, I can see it if you do a lot of bus or train riding, there is a lot of downtime there - my last job I used to have a hefty commute and I could see myself having used one then. But for general use, its kind of pointless to have all that with you in my opinion. Its probably more convenient that I realize, but the old crappy non-MP3 6-disc changer in my daily driver holds plenty of music for the commute or general driving around. I am never in a situation where I could use the headphones so the small size/carry convenience is not a selling factor for me. All that being said, I'll probably convert my Game Boy Advance SP into an MP3 player just because doing stupid crap like that is fun. I like trailing edge stuff, vintage electronics/old iron. Maybe instead I can turn an Atari 2600 into an MP3 jukebox with high capacity cartridges holding entire catalogues or genres

• Members

i bought a 60 gig ipod a few weeks ago. I think its amazing.. I love the idea of having music with me wherever i go. And i have half my music collection on there. Walking my dog now is like living in a move. The songs will dictate what will be going on around me, and the feelings i have inside. soundtrack to life!

I didnt think i would use it that much.. but i pretty much use it all day.. at work, in the car, and at home.. so its like this continuous music that never stops.. great {censored}!

• Members

I don't. If I'm at home, I have my vinyl or one of my computers to listen to music. If I'm in my car, I have my CD player, which also plays mp3 cd's if I want.

Granted, I have no use for having music in my ears when I'm walking around, because most of the time I'm either thinking about something, or have something stuck in my head, and that forces me to listen to good music and not have crappy songs running around in there all day.

• Members

256K eh? Holds about 15 seconds... good choice!

Hahaha, jp

I have a Ipod 30g, heck even have some Shure E3's (got em for 20$ :D) to listen to it with, but I still rarely use it. The only time I ever bother to really listen to music is in my car, and If I'm at the computer and not watching TV at the same time I'll just use winamp through my monitors. I think once I hit the road for a while I'll use it a bit more.

• Members

No, I don't have one, and probably never will. I asked my friend, a long time DJ, what he thought about the quality of the audio, and how it compared to CD; and sure enough he said, "They're all the same, poor quality sound, just the convenience of having lots of music". So there you have it, I am happy with my home 5.1 system, and car system, and computer sound. Until they improve the technology to bring superior audio with mini devices into our hands, I'm out of the loop. I feel that the younger generation has been duped by this devolution of audio for the sake of volumes of content:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by boogiesurfer

No, I don't have one, and probably never will. I asked my friend, a long time DJ, what he thought about the quality of the audio, and how it compared to CD; and sure enough he said, "They're all the same, poor quality sound, just the convenience of having lots of music". So there you have it, I am happy with my home 5.1 system, and car system, and computer sound. Until they improve the technology to bring superior audio with mini devices into our hands, I'm out of the loop. I feel that the younger generation has been duped by this devolution of audio for the sake of volumes of content:rolleyes:

For you though you have no real need for a portable player when you have access to those systems when you are wanting to listen to music.

The real value is for people away fro other systems who want a decent selection of music to listen to - out walking or travelling on busses and trains, where moer often than not the loss of quality is unnoticable in amongst all the other distractions and noise.

It might be worth getting somethign like a 30gig player and loading it with .wav's you would be able to get on 40+ albums there in a decent quality...

David

• Members

Originally posted by boogiesurfer

They should start making analog true-bypass ipods!

Archived