does anyone NOT have an mp3 player?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am usually late to the tech scene, but even I bought one a couple years back. I got the Creative Zen 30 gig player. It's great, but the only drawback is that the source tags don't always take. I have albums all loaded in, but they don't always play in the order they are supposed to. For a freak like me who really loves the lost art of the "album" it's a bit bothersome. Otherwise, they're quite awesome.

• Members

I'm another one of those people who come late to all the technology parties :D

My lady bought me a 20gb Creative Zen player a few months ago- it does kinda make you listen to music differently, but it's cool to have two hundred and some albums with you in such a small space :thu:

I have a brother who doesn't have an mp3 player, but just about everyone else I know has one.

• Members

I didn't have one until about three months ago, I was against them. They are such a step backward in sound quality, I can hear the compression.

But my wife got an iPod Nano for free at work (they give fancy little bonuses out at her company), and now I can't live with the damn thing. I plug it in to my car stereo and also at the stereo at work (I'm a hairstylist). I still think I'm giving up quality for quantity, but it's sure convenient to have 800 songs in your pocket.

One drawback about iPods I see is this; did you ever see the movie or read the book "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby? It's about this guy who owns an indie record store and can't stand to hangout with anyone how has a lame record collection. He looses a great girlfriend over the issue. He'll go over to someone house and see that there record collection consists of Bat Out of Hell by Meatloaf, Billy Joel and Tiny Turner and he's just disgusted.

Well now with the advent of MP3 players, everyone can carry their lame record collection around with them. And in my case plug them in at work so I can listen to six hours of Hughie {censored}in' Lewis, Journey and Duran Duran. Doh.:mad:

• Members
Originally posted by orourke

Well now with the advent of MP3 players, everyone can carry their lame record collection around with them. And in my case plug them in at work so I can listen to six hours of Hughie {censored}in' Lewis, Journey and Duran Duran. Doh.
:mad:

I like Duran Duran and Huey Lewis :(

I don't dig Journey though, so you're partly right :D

• Members

I do.

I spend a fair bit of time on the bus to and from uni or walking places, and my walkman gives me the oppertunity to listen to virtually my whole cd collection (the bits I have bothered recording) on the move from one tiny package, if my travelling was sitting in my car every morning with access to the radio or a cd player there it wouldn't be as much use for me, but on public transport its fantastic and keeps me entertained

The quality issue - yeah, its not as perfect as from cd, but most of the places I am listening to are fairly noisey anyway - busses, walking through town - so that little bit of quality loss isn't really noticable when I am using it, only if I am sitting at home in a nice listening envorinment, and yes, I would trade a little quality for the chance to carry 100+ cds with me in one tiny box, at home I still have a nice hifi and shelves of cds though.

One upgrade everyone should do would be to ditch the headphones you get with the players, I use a set of

Archived