OT: Anyone have a Siberian Husky

• Members

Smartest, kindest, healthiest dog I've had has been a Heinz 57. Looked a lot like a beagle but had some lab and shepherd in him too. And who knows what else?

I've had 3 pure breads (Newf, Lab and Border Collie). All 3, god bless them, were very cute but ABSOLUTELY {censored}ING NUTS.

When my lab gets old and dies, I'm going to strongly insist with my wife that our next dog is a Heinz 57 from the pound.

taco

• Members

The only reason you should be breeding is that you honestly feel that you are improving your breed by doing so. There are far too many dogs in the country to breed without good reason. A dog in a breeding program must be one whose genetic history you or its breeder is intimately familiar with. Such a dog must represent the best efforts of its breeder at that point. Such a dog must have good points to contribute, whether that is in good conformation, good performance or whatever. Such a dog must have some evidence of external evaluation. That is, others besides the breeder or the owner must also think that the dog is a good representive of its breed. That usually translates into titles, whether for conformation, obedience, field, herding, or whatever is appropriate for that breed. Such a dog must be tested as it matures for any problems that tend to appear in its breed, whether that is hip dysplasia, patellar luxation, von Willebrand's, cataracts, PRA, fanconi syndrome, subaortic stenosis, etc.
http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeding.html

• Members

I got a pure bred for my wife when we got married. It was my first dog; she had several before. He was beautiful; black and white with blue eyes. Everyone always noticed his beauty.
He was great with our son. Gentle and very protective of him. A good watch dog in that he barked at anyone and most people would not want to mess with him. He never made an attempt to bite anybody.
IMO, think alot about a huskie and compare to other breeds to ensure this breed will give you what you are looking for in a relationship with your pet. For both of us, he was a great companion. Understand that this breed should not be left off of a leash at any time outdoors. Ours reached a point where he climbed over the fence to get out and would go for a run and not stop for 5 miles, obviously lost. Daily walks keep them happy.
Good luck with your decision,

• Members

Do not get a Husky, they are very tempermental. VERY.

My family has owned Malamutes for 30 years, both male and female. The are bigger, so they can handle the physical stress and clumsiness of a child. Get one as a puppy and spend a lot of time with it, also along with the child, as a family. It won't take long before the doggie will adapt.

NOTE: You wouldn't be asking us about safety issues if you were getting a cat. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by decode6

NOTE: You wouldn't be asking us about safety issues if you were getting a cat.
:thu:

Don't get me started.

My cat sometimes sleeps on the ground next to my bed and in my jeans. It's better not to pet the cat when he is sleepy because he's a little grumpy. He attacked by feet a few times when I got out of bed :D

Archived