opinions on Hagstrom guitars - did they just re-enter the US market?

sonaboy

• Members

is this like a large corporation buying an old name, and just releasing cheaply made products based on older designs, or what?

anyone play one of the new guitars?

they look interesting, but the prices are pretty low, so i'm wondering about level of quality..

410618.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by amanonfire

i love my '74 viking. i havent heard anything on the new ones, but i am curious.

isnt supro supposed to be starting up again also?

i'm pretty sure supro is just the name... i forget who, but i think they're gonna be a store brand now.

hagstroms are made in germany now afaik

• Members

Bruce Zinky (Zinky Amps) managed to acquire rights to the Supro name, the new amps and guitars I believe trace back to the original designs and are US made. The guitars are masterbuilt by US luthiers...

Hagstrom is still Hagstrom...at Winter NAMM they showed their two lines, import and US made. They are bringing back updates of their models with improved construction and materials. The US made units are very nice and priced well...the resonator fretboard is an interesting concept...looks like ebony but is actually birch that is treated under pressure for better resonance...

:cool:

• Members

I would venture that the US made versions are Mexican and there must be some Korean or Chinese manufacture in there somewhere if they are selling them cheap - The Dano line of guitars a few years ago were Korean made and selling for around $600 AUD ish ...

The Hags look nice though - I like a pretty, cheap guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

I would venture that the US made versions are Mexican and there must be some Korean or Chinese manufacture in there somewhere if they are selling them cheap - The Dano line of guitars a few years ago were Korean made and selling for around $600 AUD ish ...

The Hags look nice though - I like a pretty, cheap guitar.

agreed.

i was just wondering if the "finishes" were fake finishes over cheaper grain wood, like Agile does sometimes.

sneaky {censored} like that to keep the price down.

• Members

I played a D2H at a local store and was fairly impressed by it. The neck felt very . . . different . . . than what I've ever been used with a Tele or LP-style axe. The pickups should probably be upgraded to something better as the sound was a bit muddy to me. None of the three pickup switch settings sounded especially great to me, although they didn't sound terrible either. I compared it to an Epi LP that was in this store with some aftermarket pickups in it and the Epi blew it away. Compared against a stock Epi though, it was really kind of a wash in my opinion. The Hagstrom still sounded muddier, but again, upgrade the pickups and it'd probably be spectacular. The neck would take a little while to get used to for me, also. I'm sure some people probably dig it though. They do tout it as being a "super fast" neck to play.

• Members

The new stuff are just cheap Asian guitars. The name won't be the same, basically.

I will say my cheapo Hofner Colorama isn't bad, though. It's a bit better than your average $200 dollar guitar, but it's certainly not as good as say an original Hagstrom.

• Members

Originally posted by Upgrade

I played the American RI and Korean? RI at Namm and the American one was awesome- the import was mid line Agile quality.

How did you like the feel of the neck? What was the profile like? I wasn't able to try one(found their booth by accident at the end of the day)...did they have amps setup? The US RIs did seem to be made well...

• 2 months later...
  • Members

StratAtak83 and i stopped by a shop on our way to the Sonic Youth show. we both tried out an F-20.

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/f200.html

good build quality, nice finish. felt like one of the better Epis.

the pickups are indeed muddy--even for HBs. uninspiring but i don't expect much different from a guitar in that price range.

we both had the same take on it--didn't blow our socks off but would definitely be worth having around.

apparently it was Pat Smear (Nirvans/Germs) who resurrected the Hagstrom line; he has a huge collection of originals.

• Members

I have an early-70's HIIN, which is something like an SG with humbuckers, and it's a very nifty-looking, lo-fi sounding guitar. It's relatively versitile, and seemingly very durable, but I suspect that the new ones aren't the same. I saw a couple around and they looked kind of chintzy.

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

.....just wondering if the "finishes" were fake finishes over cheaper grain wood, like Agile does sometimes.

sneaky {censored} like that.....

you mean like putting a flamed-maple veneer atop maple :confused:

Archived