Sigh...I think I need a new amp

• Members

If you can wait...

www.valvetechamps.com

"The ValveTech is a class A/B amp has about 22 watts that sounds like 50 with a tone that's just plain SWEET.

The heart of the amp are its 3-12AX7s, 2-6V6 power tubes and a 5U4 rectifier tube. Enough glowing glass to make any tube nut grin. This thing oozes old style vintage tone. Rockabilly, blues,country and jazz tones are all possible with this amplifier. Hey, this thing ain't no '59 Bassman wanna be. Switch into high gain mode and this amp delivers VICIOUS overdrive/distortion. It also has an excellent master volume so you can rock out at low volumes.

The amp comes with a boost footswitch. The back panel is an ohms switch 4/8/16 ohms, Presence control, Reverb Level, 2 Speaker Outs, Send/Return with Level Adjust. "

799$ for a head, handwired, handmade... most wonderful thing ever, be one of less than 300 on earth with a VAC!

The ONLY, and I mean ONLY drawback is the 4 month wait... but it is well worth it, and the downpayment is only 150$.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That VAC looks killer, but $799 is too much for me right now. In fact, playing more with the Traynor last night makes me wanna keep it forever. :D

All of the Mini Mass attenuators I've seen have been for 50w amps or below. Does Weber make one for 90w or above?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by jimihalen

Hey freqdaddy, wanna trade Traynors? Maybe 50w will suit me a little better!
:idea::wave:

A bump for freqdaddy...:thu:

As soon as I get paid for my Echo Park, I'm either going to

a) get the Weber, or
b) Get Pwn3d's DRRI

Decisions...

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Originally posted by loofery

I just got a MusicMan 65 head, and it's paired with my Avatar.

They were made by Leo Fender (!!) in the 1970s, and they have 2 El34s, and some models have a tube for a phase inverter.

They have a Lo - Hi power switch AND a master volume, so it won't be too loud. And the headroom is there when you can crank the amp, unlike with my epi.

Basically, they have incredible cleans with lots of headroom.

Then you can crank the volume and use the master volume pot to control it, and you get great crunch. Stick some dirt pedals to mold it.

It takes pedals quite well.

Basically one week ago, I like you, was looking for an amp to get me Fender and Gibson tones, without paying too much, and to compliment my cabinet.

I looked through various options (not many), the Bassman seemed cool.

But I got this for $360 shipped.

Just what you're looking for.

rig2.jpg

rig1.jpg

Nice rig:thu: MM amps are pretty cool sounding.

• Members

Have you looked into Bumbox amps ? I have a FuzWuz, which is a 1/15 watt tube head. The 15 watt switch is a custom option he adds for $100, and I am sure he can accomodate you if you want 30 watts instead. The FUzWuz is long gone, but he still makes the Lead 1, and you can ask about the 15 (or 30) -watt option.

c

• Members
Originally posted by M900

Have you looked into
Bumbox amps
? I have a FuzWuz, which is a 1/15 watt tube head. The 15 watt switch is a custom option he adds for $100, and I am sure he can accomodate you if you want 30 watts instead. The FUzWuz is long gone, but he still makes the Lead 1, and you can ask about the 15 (or 30) -watt option.

c

So he could make the Lead 1 into a 15 watter? He says he's behind on emails, messages and orders, so I'm afraid to contact him. Looks like a sweet head, though. I'm still diggin' the November on ax84 - bridging inputs is always nice. :D

Seriously, I'll pay someone to build me a November...Dano, where are you??

• Members

So he could make the Lead 1 into a 15 watter?

He turned a Bumbox Fuz Wuz that is normally 1 watt with a 12ax7 and (I believe) the Russian 6NP power amp into a 15 watter by adding an EL34, with a separate output for the 15 watts and a switch to fire up the EL34. The smallest tube amp I've ever owned is a Marshall JPM 212 which is 50 watts, and I've never had any problems adjusting to the 15 watts when playing out.

When I emailed him, I wanted the 1 watt head, but I was concerned about dropping that much $$ on a practice rig, so he sugested the EL34 -- I then inquired about switching outputs, he made it happen, and I had my amp in a month.

I have a friend's Hot Rod deluxe for the next 2 years or so, and I plan on buying a similarly set-up Fender-voiced Lead 1 (they're typically Marshall-sounding) when the Hot Rod goes home.

The customer service from Bumbox is awesome. The humidity in NC made the tolex bubble, and he offered to pay for the shipping both ways so he can fix the problem. The weather changed and the bubbles went away, but given the lifetime warranty, I am not worried. Nate will suport his products 100%.

• Members

He turned a Bumbox Fuz Wuz that is normally 1 watt with a 12ax7 and (I believe) the Russian 6NP power amp into a 15 watter by adding an EL34, with a separate output for the 15 watts and a switch to fire up the EL34. The smallest tube amp I've ever owned is a Marshall JPM 212 which is 50 watts, and I've never had any problems adjusting to the 15 watts when playing out.

When I emailed him, I wanted the 1 watt head, but I was concerned about dropping that much $$ on a practice rig, so he sugested the EL34 -- I then inquired about switching outputs, he made it happen, and I had my amp in a month.

I have a friend's Hot Rod deluxe for the next 2 years or so, and I plan on buying a similarly set-up Fender-voiced Lead 1 (they're typically Marshall-sounding) when the Hot Rod goes home.

The customer service from Bumbox is awesome. The humidity in NC made the tolex bubble, and he offered to pay for the shipping both ways so he can fix the problem. The weather changed and the bubbles went away, but given the lifetime warranty, I am not worried. Nate will suport his products 100%.

Wow - that is some sweet service. I wonder if he'd be able to convert his Lead 1 into a 15-20 watter. However, I can say I wasn't too impressed with a few of the Lead 1 clips on the Bumbox site....and the November clips make me hard. :o:love:

Maybe I'll shoot him an email.

• Members

Wow - that is some sweet service. I wonder if he'd be able to convert his Lead 1 into a 15-20 watter. However, I can say I wasn't too impressed with a few of the Lead 1 clips on the Bumbox site....and the November clips make me hard.
:o:love:

Maybe I'll shoot him an email.

Given my experience with working with Nate, I don't think converting the Lead 1 to a switchable beast is a problem.

As for the tone, he will voice his amps to your spec's. But if you already like the November...

What do you think of the Epi Valve jr.'s? I have one and it's OK -- with pedals in front of it. For a practice rig, it may not be a bad idea, if you're into the whole heavily-effected tone...

c

• Members

Given my experience with working with Nate, I don't think converting the Lead 1 to a switchable beast is a problem.

As for the tone, he will voice his amps to your spec's. But if you already like the November...

What do you think of the Epi Valve jr.'s? I have one and it's OK -- with pedals in front of it. For a practice rig, it may not be a bad idea, if you're into the whole heavily-effected tone...

c

I like the Jr. for a practice rig - my gf has one and it's great - but the November/Lead 1 would be my main amp. That's basically why I'm shooting for around 20 watts - for a little clean headroom.

Yeah, I think I'll flood Nate with emails until I get a response and go from there. Thanks for your 2 cents man. :wave:

• Members

I like the Jr. for a practice rig - my gf has one and it's great - but the November/Lead 1 would be my main amp. That's basically why I'm shooting for around 20 watts - for a little clean headroom.

Yeah, I think I'll flood Nate with emails until I get a response and go from there. Thanks for your 2 cents man.
:wave:

At 15 watts, the Fuz Wuz worke as a main amp, and I do aree that the headroom at least for the ER,...

I hope it works out and he communicates with you soon

c

• Members

Originally posted by SE1081

sounds like you need a solid state amp. Tube amps usually require a good bit of volume to keep a decent tone...almost too much volume to use for regular practice.

There's been quite a few low-watt tube amps on the market now. I think the "at least 50 but I'd prefer 100 watts" mentality has waned, mostly because the availability of great recording gear that's affordable -- which means more people recording at home, thus the need for low volumes.

c

Archived