Sigh...I think I need a new amp

• Members

Ok.

The Traynor YBA-1A is an awesome Bassman/Plexi amp. I really, really love it. Now, time for the truth - it's too damn loud. I remember reading that over and over while I researched it, but I didn't care - I just wanted it soo badly. Now that I have it, it's too much. :( Damn rockstar dreams. Anyway, what lower-wattage head (like 30 watts) would you recommend? In the Plexiesque vein, please. :D And no combos please, since this Avatar 2x12 is rockin.

Fire away!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think that 30 watts will make that dramatic of a difference. Either you get a ridiculously low wattage amp (like 5 or something) or you go for a combo with either less speakers, small speakers or some kind of combination. Good luck with your search.

• Members
Originally posted by loofery

I just got a 65w amp

and it's not too loud for me, because it has a master volume. crunchy at low levels too.

shall i make a thread about it for you to check it out, jimihalen?

Sure. Or just talk about it here!

On the Weber...cheaper than a new amp, yes. But, a new amp means I'd sell the Traynor, which means I'd have money. Right now, I's po. Do they make a Weber for 90w + amps?

If only someone could lend me an attenuator... ;)

• Members

I just got a MusicMan 65 head, and it's paired with my Avatar.
They were made by Leo Fender (!!) in the 1970s, and they have 2 El34s, and some models have a tube for a phase inverter.

They have a Lo - Hi power switch AND a master volume, so it won't be too loud. And the headroom is there when you can crank the amp, unlike with my epi.

Basically, they have incredible cleans with lots of headroom.
Then you can crank the volume and use the master volume pot to control it, and you get great crunch. Stick some dirt pedals to mold it.
It takes pedals quite well.

Basically one week ago, I like you, was looking for an amp to get me Fender and Gibson tones, without paying too much, and to compliment my cabinet.

I looked through various options (not many), the Bassman seemed cool.

But I got this for $360 shipped.
Just what you're looking for.

rig2.jpg

rig1.jpg

• Members

I have several amps including a YBA-1. For medium sized club gigs and bigger the YBA-1 is my choice rig. Amazing headroom and it projects everywhere in the club. I use it with a 1x12 open back cab. Pretty much run it at 3 on the volume dial with a few choice boosters & OD's set for low gain and a bit of boost. I love this setup.

For smaller gigs a 18 watt Fender Princeton II delivers the goods for me.

I guess I am suggesting hanging on the to the YBA and getting a smaller amp for the litttle rooms. Having used the 18-20 watt rigs (miced) in medium and larger rooms, I can say that a YBA-1 can be far superior. It's not really a volume thing but a headroom thing IMHO. It's a huge sound.

I payed peanuts for the Traynor YBA-1 and I doubt that there are many or any amps that compare for the price. Perhaps you might want to add a bit of 'verb to sweeten it up at lower volumes .
Anyway, I hate to see anyone pass this amp by without exploring the options. Good luck!

• Members
Originally posted by freqdaddy

I have several amps including a YBA-1. For medium sized club gigs and bigger the YBA-1 is my choice rig. Amazing headroom and it projects everywhere in the club. I use it with a 1x12 open back cab. Pretty much run it at 3 on the volume dial with a few choice boosters & OD's set for low gain and a bit of boost. I love this setup.

For smaller gigs a 18 watt Fender Princeton II delivers the goods for me.

I guess I am suggesting hanging on the to the YBA and getting a smaller amp for the litttle rooms. Having used the 18-20 watt rigs (miced) in medium and larger rooms, I can say that a YBA-1 can be far superior. It's not really a volume thing but a headroom thing IMHO. It's a huge sound.

I payed peanuts for the Traynor YBA-1 and I doubt that there are many or any amps that compare for the price. Perhaps you might want to add a bit of 'verb to sweeten it up at lower volumes .

Anyway, I hate to see anyone pass this amp by without exploring the options. Good luck!

Yeah, I'm not just gonna pass it off. Not just yet. I still need to retube and take it outside to crank it up completely.

usa83strat said:

how much you want for it?

$1500 :D :D :wave:

• Members

Yeah, I'm not just gonna pass it off. Not just yet. I still need to retube and take it outside to crank it up completely.

Glad to hear it. The YBA-1 is a fantastic gigging amp. It really reminds me of a Hiwatt, huge clean power. When I gig with mine it it really is idling, turn it up and it just gets better but ears will die! Not my idea of a good time but on a big stage or studio it doesn't get much better. Still at 3 on the volume dial it is beautiful.

Additionally, these amps are very dependable. Tubes last forever, minimal maintanance. Techs love em'!

• Members
Originally posted by freqdaddy

Glad to hear it. The YBA-1 is a fantastic gigging amp. It really reminds me of a Hiwatt, huge clean power. When I gig with mine it it really is idling, turn it up and it just gets better but ears will die! Not my idea of a good time but on a big stage or studio it doesn't get much better. Still at 3 on the volume dial it is beautiful.

Additionally, these amps are very dependable. Tubes last forever, minimal maintanance. Techs love em'!

Yeah, the tech that tore it apart thought it had the best design in the world.

I put it on 10 last night in my bedroom (closed the door, out in the hall :D ) and the breakup was fantastic with my Paul...pure Marshally rhythm madness. Speakers are a little too stiff at the moment, so I'm not quite getting those smooth, neck pickup Allman Bros. tones I want just yet, but very soon...

Hey freqdaddy, wanna trade Traynors? Maybe 50w will suit me a little better! :idea::wave:

Archived