OT: Whoever Wins The World Cup

• Members

In my mind, any sport that specifically forbids the use of evolution's greatest tool (opposable thumb) is just ridiculous. That being said, I am watching some of the World Cup. I just prefer a good game of American Football or Basketball to it.

• Members

I never played soccer as a kid. All the kids who couldn't throw played soccer around here. Moms in mom jeans would run around handing their kids orange slices and Capri Suns. I played baseball.

But when you talk about soccer among talented people, it's pretty entertaining to watch. I think there is a difference between soccer at a youth level here in the states and soccer elsewhere. That's why a lot of people here dislike soccer, because the stereotypical 10 year old soccer player was a momma's boy. Kind of gives real football a bad name.

But I like watching Premiership games and what not on the FSC channel. :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by danut

Nothing beats the european football...Nothing. And the best proof is it's popularity worldwide. Period.

Whaddya expect from Yanks though ... they got a world series that nobody in the world plays but them! :D Little do they know that their national pass time of Baseball comes directly from the English game of Rounders that was being played as far back as the 1600's in written historical terms - Cricket which also derives from Rounders is a true world game played by Australia and England and many other nations - The World Cup is the World Game - that's all she wrote. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Whaddya expect from Yanks though ... they got a world series that nobody in the world plays but them!
:D
Little do they know that their national pass time of Baseball comes directly from the English game of Rounders that was being played as far back as the 1600's in written historical terms - Cricket which also derives from Rounders is a true world game played by Australia and England and many other nations - The World Cup is the World Game - that's all she wrote.
:thu:

We caught so much flak about that World Series not including, well, the world that we had a "World Baseball Classic" and we got out asses stomped. BUT, I think it's okay to call it a World Series, because there is a hefty number of people in the MLB that don't even speak any English, because they came from foreign countries to play.

• Members
Originally posted by beezdeez

We caught so much flak about that World Series not including, well, the world that we had a "World Baseball Classic" and we got out asses stomped. BUT, I think it's okay to call it a World Series, because there is a hefty number of people in the MLB that don't even speak any English, because they came from foreign countries to play.

Come on though man ... it's classic American isolationism and me,me,me-ism having a WOLRD Series that's just the US!!!! It would be like Australia having the Aussie Rules Football WORLD SERIES! ... We'd be a frickin laughing stock internationally. :D

• Members

Come on though man ... it's classic American isolationism and me,me,me-ism having a WOLRD Series that's just the US!!!! It would be like Australia having the Aussie Rules Football WORLD SERIES! ... We'd be a frickin laughing stock internationally.

+1 for Tiki.

Jeez, for every sport "we" have "they" have their own bastarised version. I'd love to see the Pitsburgh stealers take on the All Blacks at either "version" of their sports.

Looking forward to rooting for the Aussies tommorrow beating Japan.

• Members

Originally posted by danut

Nothing beats the european football...Nothing. And the best proof is it's popularity worldwide. Period.

Why would that be proof?

"Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half the time."

-E.B. White

• Members

Come on though man ... it's classic American isolationism and me,me,me-ism having a WOLRD Series that's just the US!!!! It would be like Australia having the Aussie Rules Football WORLD SERIES! ... We'd be a frickin laughing stock internationally.

Isolationism is better than a war on terrorism.

• Members

Originally posted by dangerous dan

+1 for Tiki.

Jeez, for every sport "we" have "they" have their own bastarised version. I'd love to see the Pitsburgh stealers take on the All Blacks at either "version" of their sports.

Looking forward to rooting for the Aussies tommorrow beating Japan.

It is Steelers. They are named after the steel workers that made this town what it was. Not a bunch of thiefs. The Pittsburgh Pirates are!

As far as baseball being a bastardized version of cricket--I prefer to watch games that don't take days to complete.

Sorry for the 3 posts in a row. I'm too lazy to manual copy/paste to do quotes.

• Members

Even if the whole world likes it... it doesn't change the fact that it's boring does it? Hockey is dying in North America for the same reason. Say what you will but a game that ends up 1-0 is not as exciting. Now get some people crushing each other into the ground and scoring more than once a half and that's good entertainment! (Now why isn't Rugby popular in America?)

Archived