Roland JD-990/JD-800 competition

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey guys, I listened to all of the contributions!

You guys have me hooked. :eek:

Then I started exploring Sealed synthesis pages... man, that is one of the best synth sites on the web.

Lots of talent on this forum.

DonSolaris, Sealed, et all love your JD tracks... great stuff guys.

'beautiful' is just so...

But can someone explain to me... these aren't analog filters? what makes the JD990 sound so much better than the JV series, and even XV?

actually does anyone own a Fantom here and can compare it to the JD-990. 15 years later, you'd think Roland would have the best filters in the world on their romplers... but that isn't the case.

• Members

But can someone explain to me... these aren't analog filters? what makes the JD990 sound so much better than the JV series, and even XV?

The high end of the filter, when resonance applied - sounds almost analog. No other digital synth has that color. The rest of frequencies are the same, with XV series have more power in the resonance to the point it almost begins to resemble the 18dB filter (so it cuts/removes the original sound), though both are 12dB. Unfortunately the JD has no oscillator gain, so in some cases, the filter will clip / distort. :( In contrast XV's filter will never clip when the oscillator is set to 0dB. After doing some research, it looks like JD's oscillator is permanently set to +6dB - no wonder it overloads the filter if a lot of resonance is applied. I wish they placed the gain. :cry:

Soundwise: JD series uses non-compressed 44.1k waveforms. Super JV, and XV (up to 5080) use 32k waveforms with compression (similar to mp3). Difference on high pitched notes is pretty obvious. The JD comes as crystal clear, the JV and XV not so.

• Members

:thu:
I could listen to this all day!!! {censored}in great! What are you using for the drum tracking. I like this better than the previous one.

What do you mean by "drum tracking"? Sounds are all JD (including drums), and for sequencing I used Cubase...

I didn't put any effort into the previous one, and also screwed up on mixing (mixed on small computer speakers and got drums way too loud, and then deleted drum tracks after mixdown, too lazy to rerecord).

• Members

I'm not sure about "drum tracking" either. Perhaps he meant the drum patterns? Are those your own, or are they canned patterns from somewhere?

That's what I meant:freak: I was in a rush when I wrote that response. The drum sound on the JD sound great!

Damn... I need this module! :mad:

• Members

You offended me. Amethystium makes so much more inferior music on all levels... But I forgive you... most people rarely can tell a difference between finger and ass when it comes to enigmatic music.
:)

Amethystium is pretty forumlaic (I have Emblem... by track#7 you're like hmmmm this reminds me of track #2, 3,4,5....). But it's still good ear candy. Nice driving music.

Any other artist to recommend in that vein

• Members

Amethystium is pretty forumlaic (I have Emblem... by track#7 you're like hmmmm this reminds me of track #2, 3,4,5....). But it's still good ear candy. Nice driving music.

Any other artist to recommend in that vein

Amethystium is just a typical cheap new-age crap production with bland boring melodies, primitive tasteless flutey arrangements and overall feel of amateur-ship.

Unfortunately except Enigma I find nothing else to listen to in that genre. Enigma inspired lots of clones, but none of them rose anywhere close to the standard of creativity and originality set by Enigma.

• Members

Amethystium is just a typical cheap new-age crap production with bland boring melodies, primitive tasteless flutey arrangements and overall feel of amateur-ship.

Unfortunately except Enigma I find nothing else to listen to in that genre. Enigma inspired lots of clones, but none of them rose anywhere close to the standard of creativity and originality set by Enigma.

Some of the work by Bliss is pretty good on 'Afterlife' and 'Quiet Letters'.

Goo, 'Etheria-2' that was great... I sunk into it.

Listening to this again, inspiring track on a number of levels, certainly makes me want to investigate the JD-990.

I had a JV-1080 w/ Vintage Synth about 6 years back... this synth just sounds so much more capable.

Archived