Roland JD-990/JD-800 competition

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Thanks, Awake77, for your comments and also setting up the stage for contestants. I enjoyed the experimental world view in your demo, and also songs from other contestants, very very much.

Thanks Sealed. I agree all the tracks are great - nice to hear what people are doing with their JD's! You mentioning the Ring Mod you used for your patches makes me want to pick up a 990!:)

I should have another demo up pretty soon here..studio is right about back in order...

Hey Awake, nice pic!

Indeed it is!:love:

• Members

originally posted by Goo

I put the vintage board in, and it recognized it, however I don't see any new sound banks. Where are they?

You have to load the patches, individually, into temporary memory. From there, you can save them into permanent memory. Here's how:

1. Press the Utility button.

2. Press F4 ("Card")

3. Press F5 ("Load PRM")

4. Turn the Value dial until the highlighted text says Exp/ JD

5. Press the Down arrow to highlight the patch name, and then use the Value dial to find the desired patch.

6. Press F6 ("Execute") to load the patch into temporary memory.

7. Press Exit and then press F1 ("Write") to save the patch into permanent memory.

• Members

Oh, thanks...

At first I thought you were joking... maaaan, this is beyond retarded... :cry:

When I read that for a moment I was contemplating just packing this thing for sale, but after listening to the exp patches I'm kinda like... "ok, let's give it another chance". :idea:

• Members

Just upload a sys-ex bank that is made of Patches stored on Vintage Card, and thats it.

http://www.awakeaudio.com/Synths/Roland/JD-990/Gwydi/sr-jv80-04.zip

Extract only vs-jd-0*.syx files (4 x 64 patch banks for 256 total)

In case you decide to go the other way (via the import function) you need to skip first 256 patches. They are for JV series. Super JD patches are 256-512. However, my advice is the one above.

• Members
Originally posted by Don Solaris

Just upload a sys-ex bank that is made of Patches stored on Vintage Card, and thats it.

http://www.awakeaudio.com/Synths/Roland/JD-990/Gwydi/sr-jv80-04.zip

Extract only vs-jd-0*.syx files (4 x 64 patch banks for 256 total)

In case you decide to go the other way (via the import function) you need to skip first 256 patches. They are for JV series. Super JD patches are 256-512. However, my advice is the one above.

Yeah, I did. That's what made me change my mind. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Goo

Ok, it took a bit longer than I thought to make it, it's not perfect, but I don't want to fix it, I want to go sleep now.

Excellent demo!

Look, since you got a JD recently, i will give you (for free) those two sounds you asked about. You can use them privately ie. non-commercial way. I hope they will inspire you to dig into JD. I have sent you the URL via PM. Enjoy!

• Members
Originally posted by Mook

Nice one Goo. Sounds good on the lappy - I'll take a listen on some better monitors later.
:)

Merry Christmas Mr Goo!
:thu:

Thanks, you too! :)

Originally posted by Don Solaris

Excellent demo!

Look, since you got a JD recently, i will give you (for free) those two sounds you asked about. You can use them privately ie. non-commercial way. I hope they will inspire you to dig into JD. I have sent you the URL via PM. Enjoy

Thanks again! At first I was going to demand them in return for my JD demo, but later thought I better deliver the goods before I do it. ;) Now thanks to you I didn't even have to do it! :D

Awesome two sounds, especially 61st means so much to me, and you probably know why. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Awake77

Very nice work Goo!

Thanks.... :)

Btw, I remixed it slightly to remove a couple of minor annoyances (too loud drums, hi-freq holes, overly loud lead etc) to make it sound more balanced, so if anyone cares... you can re-download it using the same link above.

• Members
Originally posted by Goo

Enigma 2 (my all-time fav CD) is full of JD sounds. That was the reason I bought the JD.
:thu:

aaaah... I see. I only have their first record (the one with the Gregorian chant song, Sadeness...) I bought it when it came out (boy, I'm old!) At the time, it was such a different sound... and then of course, many other bands copied that style, including the Soul 2 Sould style drum beat.

• Members
Originally posted by Paolo Di Nicolantonio

aaaah... I see. I only have their first record (the one with the Gregorian chant song, Sadeness...) I bought it when it came out (boy, I'm old!) At the time, it was such a different sound... and then of course, many other bands copied that style, including the Soul 2 Sould style drum beat.

Yeah, many copies... and not a single really good one. :(

• Members
Originally posted by Awake77

Ah...those 1st two Enigma albums were legendary. The 2nd one had the Native American samples on it, that was a great song...I think the video had everything going backwards:)

2nd one has by far the best pad and atmosphere layering job I ever heard anywhere... It's one hell of a pad masterpiece. :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

everyone...

sorry but I just started to get going on my track.

I will have something for you in the next week. Honestly I was overwhelmed by the quality of some of the other entry's and just sorta gave up. But I started messing around with her today again and think I have a somehting that I am working on that I would be wiling to share once it's done.

KaZ

:)

Archived