Roland JD-990/JD-800 competition

• Members

Good news - I was able to contact Gwydi via email and I've uploaded all his JD-800 and JD-990 relevant files to:

http://www.awakeaudio.com/Synths/Roland/JD-800/Gwydi/

and

http://www.awakeaudio.com/Synths/Roland/JD-990/Gwydi/

There's some good stuff there!!

Gilbratropb, Paolo - please feel free to grab all you'd like for your pages too!! Probably a good idea to keep as many copies out on the web as we can, for posterity:)

A big thanks go Gwydi for sharing all that info!!

Awake77

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Mook

Might be worth adding Lil'chips' Roland info to a current site too.

Originally posted by Awake77

Mook where can I grab that? [...]

Ah, Lilchips... What a great resource it was for JV owners.

I must have most of the Roland related content somewhere, but I think there would be copyright issues.

Best would be to ask David R. Green himself.

http://www.lilchips.com/contact.asp

• Members

Originally posted by poumtschak

Ah, Lilchips... What a great resource it was for JV owners.

I must have most of the Roland related content somewhere, but I think there would be copyright issues.

Best would be to ask David R. Green himself.

Yes he be okay with it if he's asked first. He used to post on here.

He was in the throws of producing a JD to XP patch converter which I downloaded back in the day but unfortunately can no longer find a copy of here.

• Members

Mook where can I grab that? The main site for all my music stuff should be online within the next few months, ideally Id like to have as many synth resources as I can freely available. As these machines get older, it can only help.

It's still kept on the wayback machine...

http://web.archive.org/web/20040401155202/www.lilchips.com/roland/

• Members

Originally posted by poumtschak

Sounds like snippets from Chicane tunes to me, right? If so, I don't think he has a JD, but
a few Roland S-760 samplers
instead. So the waveforms are most likely from the L-CD sample library, the core of all Roland Romplers ROM from that era.

Well, it's from Don Solaris' JD demos. :) But since it's not included in any of the free patch banks from the jd990.zip collection, I assumed these were his own patches, and I just don't feel right asking him to give them to me... Maybe there are a similar free patches out there in any other patch banks that sound similar to these, so I could program them to sound more like the ones in mp3?

• Members

Originally posted by Don Solaris

JD-competition.jpg

137 replies, yet 6 demos only.
:(

Submitted demos:

Clusterchord
Blade of Glass

Awake77
Teleoceras

Burster
Right

Don Solaris
990 Dreams

Gilbertopb
The Inner Side Of Mirror

Mook
Mook JD990

Still waiting demos from:

Paolo Di Nicolantonio
:cool:
EJ2
kazper
packrat
Sealed
idiotboy
ChipCurtis

@ Clusterchord: Beautiful ambient sounds!!! Definitely what the JD does best. Also loved the analog-sounding bubbly synth. Too short ! :D

@ Awake77: I like the bouncing feeling this piece gives me. Interesting choice of sounds!

@ Burster: very cool and cinematic - this could be perfect for a movie scene!

@ Don Solaris: Excellent choice of sounds, very enjoyable melody and arrangement... and I love the ambient+electronica crossover - superb!

@Gilbertopb: very psychedelic '70s! Great organ sound

@ Mook: another cinematic piece - this would be perfect for a terror under-the-ocean movie!

• Members

And finally I found the time to contribute to this thread!

Just as an experiment, since we all know that the JDs are good as "ambient" synths, I wanted to do something different than the typical washes of sounds, ambient synth pads etc.

I was listening to Prodigy's old Experience cd today, and I thought it would be fun to create a drum 'n' bass song with the JD-990.

Turns out, this is really not your typical d 'n' b tune, but hey - it's all in good fun. I used a mix of custom and preset sounds - 100% my JD-990 only - multi tracked in Sonar 5 PE. There are some pads at the beginning, but then - a nylon guitar and a trombone solo :D . The rest is pretty electronic.

Check : the song is called "JD 'n' B" (ha ha)

http://jdcontest.awakeaudio.com/upload/Paolo_Di_Nicolantonio/

• Members

Originally posted by Paolo Di Nicolantonio

I was listening to Prodigy's old Experience cd today, and I thought it would be fun to create a drum 'n' bass song with the JD-990.

What a nice tune and a great show of JD resources!

It appears a tune for a movie.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Paolo Di Nicolantonio

Turns out, this is really
not
your typical d 'n' b tune, but hey - it's all in good fun. I used a mix of custom and preset sounds - 100% my JD-990 only - multi tracked in Sonar 5 PE. There are some pads at the beginning, but then - a nylon guitar and a trombone solo
:D
. The rest is pretty electronic.

That certainly is a fun track. Typically of JD it sounds excellent. Those trombone solos certainly made me smile! :)

• Members

Sealed, that's incredible programming. You made it sound like FM based synth! I can literally hear FM pad(!) right at the start of recording, then plenty of FM like drones later. Well done.

I hope we will get few more submissions. There was lot of interest in beginning, but as time goes by we get less and less demos. :(

• Members

Awesome sealed!! That really sounds great - very dream-like.

I hope we will get few more submissions. There was lot of interest in beginning, but as time goes by we get less and less demos.

ugh - Ive been meaning to get another demo up, Ive just been so busy and I *still* need to bring my 800 in for that grounding problem.

I'm sure we'll get a few more submissions at least...just keep bumpin' every now and then:)

• Members

Originally posted by Don Solaris

Sealed, that's incredible programming. You made it sound like FM based synth! I can literally hear FM pad(!) right at the start of recording, then plenty of FM like drones later. Well done.

Thank you, Don Solaris!!

I used ring modulation and FXM in all sounds, and it might have made my JD sounds like FM.

Awesome sealed!! That really sounds great - very dream-like.

Thanks, Awake77, for your comments and also setting up the stage for contestants. I enjoyed the experimental world view in your demo, and also songs from other contestants, very very much.

Originally posted by ElectricPuppy

Oooh, that's purdy, Sealed. Must... sleep... now..........zzzzzzZZZ

Have a good night, snoopy... ;)

Archived