Roland JD-990/JD-800 competition

• Members

Originally posted by Don Solaris

However, i noticed something and i hope it is just a coincidence due to mp3 compression or different soundcard A/D's. I noticed JD-800 demos to sound more "wide" in stereo spread and more Hi-Fi. In fact, this got me so interested that i will ask Awake or Gilberto to do a small test with the same patch played on JD-800 and then on JD-990.

May be the effects, EQ, etc are diferent? I use the factory defaults on this.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Awake, i hope you have 5 minutes for a small job. I just need someone to test this difference i noticed - i hope it was just my imagination. Yet, here is the sequence:

http://www.rolandsynthesis.com/tmp/jd.mid

Play it in a sequencer and record the output into wav file. Normalize it. Save it with the same mp3 software & settings that you used in your demo. You can put files into your JD contest directory. I would like you to do recording with following patches:

I12-Massive_Pad

I-21-Swimotion (note: you will need to increase volume a bit, this is a very silent patch)

I81-Aurora_Borealis

Damnit.... if there is really a difference in hi-fi quality, i think that will be a good excuse i get a JD-800. :o;)

EDIT:

Issue solved. No "Hi-Fi difference" between 800 and 990. My soundcard is a {censored}. That was the problem.

• Members

Thanks gilberto!

EDIT:

Ok i just checked the background noise. It appears the reason for "hi-fi effect" is because my card cuts high frequencies. As a result, on your recording there is high freq noise, while on my recording no such noise. Check it out:

http://www.rolandsynthesis.com/tmp/JD_test_noise.mp3

JD-800 same part repeated three times (to hear it better because it is short) followed by JD-990. All volumes same gain, and a same part of recording (JD-800 longer for a fraction).

However, there is one obvious difference that doesnt matter with compression. Check out I-21 Swimotion. The JD-990 appears to have a better & deeper phaser. Hehe.... :-)

JD-800: http://jdcontest.awakeaudio.com/upload/Gilbertopb/Gilberto_JD_Test_Swimotion.mp3

JD-990: http://www.rolandsynthesis.com/tmp/JD990%20I-21-Swimotion.mp3

• Members

Awake, i hope you have 5 minutes for a small job. I just need someone to test this difference i noticed - i hope it was just my imagination. Yet, here is the sequence:

http://www.rolandsynthesis.com/tmp/jd.mid

Play it in a sequencer and record the output into wav file. Normalize it. Save it with the same mp3 software & settings that you used in your demo. You can put files into your JD contest directory. I would like you to do recording with following patches:

I12-Massive_Pad

I-21-Swimotion (note: you will need to increase volume a bit, this is a very silent patch)

I81-Aurora_Borealis

Damnit.... if there is really a difference in hi-fi quality, i think that will be a good excuse i get a JD-800.

You should get one anyway - once you touch those sliders you'll never go back! :idea:

I'd be happy to run this test for you DonSolaris, but my studio is in a shambles at the moment while I build my new DAW and the JD-800 is going in for repair this weekend. As soon as it gets back Ill give a go though if you still need it.

BTW, that MP3 in my folder was the JD-800 into an Echo Layla 24 soundcard, which is known for very high quality A/D conversion - that could explain the difference.

That track is actually invalid for use in the contest too - as I believe I used a stereo panning plug in for the background melody, not to mention its too long. I just threw it up there so we'd have some initial content, I'm still working on the 'real' entry.

BTW, DonSolaris your track is most impressive - you definitely have programming your 990 down to a science! Not to mention the superb composition - well done!

Isnt it hard to believe these machines are basically 15 year old 'romplers' ? Seriously have to be some of the best digitals ever made, even taking modern VA's into account...

Awake77

• Members

Awake your track inspired me to get a JD-800, because of those evolving and ever changing textures. It was clear there is no way i could do that on JD-990, even if i record the demo within patch edit level.

Heh, i was imagining you chillin' out in front of JD-800, moving sliders here and there while track was being recorded. Most important, there is no repeating in melody or timbre, and this is exactly the stuff i am after. You can listen the same song 20 times, and it won't become annoying. Please don't remove the track. If you build another one, just add it to the list.

BTW thanks for you comments. Unfortunately i recorded the demo with my crappy 20$ Creative card. I am really not happy with its audio quality. I also didn't had proper multi track recording software, so i had to do it manually (align tracks, etc). I did the demo using: Cool Edit and MIDI sequencing software (prehistoric non-audio Cubase from '95). :(

• Members

Awake your track inspired me to get a JD-800, because of those evolving and ever changing textures. It was clear there is no way i could do that on JD-990, even if i record the demo within patch edit level.

Nice! Thank you! You know - that whole track is only two separate tracks. The ghost-pad melody, and the evolving textures over the top...that's one patch! I just held some keys down for 10 minutes while going to town with the sliders and knobs. Yes, you need a JD-800! :D I think Ill be picking up a JD-990 soon myself:cool:

BTW thanks for you comments. Unfortunately i recorded the demo with my crappy 20$ Creative card. I am really not happy with its audio quality. I also didn't had proper multi track recording software, so i had to do it manually (align tracks, etc). I did the demo using: Cool Edit and MIDI sequencing software (prehistoric non-audio Cubase from '95

Ah, you should definitely invest in a good soundcard asap! Do you have any in mind? Very impressive that you are able to get that level of quality with a soundblaster and old tracking software...imagine what you'll be able to do with more modern stuff. (and imagine the GAS just thinking about it lol)

• Members

Man, you guys have me gassing for a JD. From the descriptions here, it seems like a cross between a rompler and a ... something else. Soundwise, these demos remind me of the timbres I hear in many mid-to-late-90s ambient works.

And the price is not bad at all...

• Members

Originally posted by XorAxAx

Man, you guys have me gassing for a JD. From the descriptions here, it seems like a cross between a rompler and a ... something else. Soundwise, these demos remind me of the timbres I hear in many mid-to-late-90s ambient works.

And the price is not bad at all...

The thing with it is that because there are so few waveforms, it cannot compete in Fantom / Triton territory, so it lends itself to being programmed to get the most out of it. That, and an easy to use interface and sound quality!

• Members

Heh, i was imagining you chillin' out in front of JD-800, moving sliders here and there while track was being recorded. Most important, there is no repeating in melody or timbre, and this is exactly the stuff i am after. You can listen the same song 20 times, and it won't become annoying. Please don't remove the track. If you build another one, just add it to the list.

BTW thanks for you comments. Unfortunately i recorded the demo with my crappy 20$ Creative card. I am really not happy with its audio quality. I also didn't had proper multi track recording software, so i had to do it manually (align tracks, etc). I did the demo using: Cool Edit and MIDI sequencing software (prehistoric non-audio Cubase from '95).
:(

Don: I'll have a go at recording those three sounds in the *.mid file into my Motu 828. I've been suspecting for a while that it's not too good in the HF department so I'll do a comparison with recording at 44.1khz and at 96khz (perhaps Motu's AD filters are sloping too much and cutting off some audible HF). I also ought to make a move to using balanced cables too.

Try getting hold of a cheap Echo or M-Audio Audiophile card for your PC or even an Emu 0404 (and something with Cubase LE or similar so you can audio record in the same host)

• Members

Originally posted by Awake77

Mook that huge 'breathing' pad you have going on there is killer...the track sounds alive!!!
:thu:

Thanks! That sound is basically one of the many grabbed from the old Gwydi site, then layered with another one. I do a bit of that - take a sound then tweak it and layer it. I will get round to finishing the 'proper' version of that track one day.

• Members

Nice! Thank you! You know - that whole track is only two separate tracks. The ghost-pad melody, and the evolving textures over the top...that's one patch! I just held some keys down for 10 minutes while going to town with the sliders and knobs. Yes, you need a JD-800!
:D
I think Ill be picking up a JD-990 soon myself:cool:

Cool stuff. I can't play well enough to do anything live without it sounding crap so I sequence everything. I did enjoy playing around with the JD800 when I had one - will pick up another when the right one comes along...

I'm gonna put these demos onto a CD and take a listen in the car too.

• Members

Thanks gilberto!

EDIT:

Ok i just checked the background noise. It appears the reason for "hi-fi effect" is because my card cuts high frequencies. As a result, on your recording there is high freq noise, while on my recording no such noise. Check it out:

JD-800 same part repeated three times (to hear it better because it is short) followed by JD-990. All volumes same gain, and a same part of recording (JD-800 longer for a fraction).

However, there is one obvious difference that doesnt matter with compression. Check out I-21 Swimotion.
The JD-990 appears to have a better & deeper phaser.
Hehe.... :-)

JD-800:

JD-990:

Yeah the Swimotion track was one the one with biggest difference in stereo width (ignoring the high end) most noticably when the lower bass not comes in, it opens up on Gilb's demo.

As I posted above, I'll give them a go so there's a couple more comparisons too (I want to check the performance of my Motu so it will be interesting for me anyway)

• Members

Thanks gilberto!

EDIT:

http://www.rolandsynthesis.com/tmp/JD_test_noise.mp3

However, there is one obvious difference that doesnt matter with compression. Check out I-21 Swimotion.
The JD-990 appears to have a better & deeper phaser.
Hehe.... :-)

JD-800:
http://jdcontest.awakeaudio.com/upload/Gilbertopb/Gilberto_JD_Test_Swimotion.mp3

JD-990:
http://www.rolandsynthesis.com/tmp/JD990%20I-21-Swimotion.mp3

Noise? You asked for a 5 minute test! LOL :thu:

I reI haven

• Members

You should get one anyway - once you touch those sliders you'll never go back!
:idea:

You can record the sliders changes as sysex. In the Midi section just turn on the "Transmit Edit Data".

By other side, to live performances, the better is you take notes on all you are doing.

In my demo, there

• Members

Originally posted by XorAxAx

Man, you guys have me gassing for a JD. From the descriptions here, it seems like a cross between a rompler and a ... something else.

The synthesis engine. 13 years later, and such features still not found on most modern digital synths (!!). Plus the "JD filter", most warm digital filter ever built on a rompler.

@mook: i didn't took that photo ;-)

• Members

The synthesis engine. 13 years later, and such features still not found on most modern digital synths (!!). Plus the "JD filter", most warm digital filter ever built on a rompler.

Indeed. That filter is one of a kind - it can actually self-oscillate under the right conditions. I love it because it doesnt even attempt to sound analog - it is what it is.

Archived