Sign in to follow this  
Paolo Di Nicolantonio

Roland JD-990/JD-800 competition

Originally posted by Mook

Email some of your patches and I will do your demo for you!

:D

Already finished. :cool:

I just don't want to upload it yet. Don't want to rush others. ;)

BTW how did you managed to reply to a message from the future? :D :D

Originally posted by Don Solaris

BTW how did you managed to reply to a message from the future?

Goddy? :D

Well, I finally got mine yesterday and managed to carve out an uninterrupted hour with it today.

:love: This is easily the nicest sounding ROMpler I've ever heard. Thanks to you folks for turning me on to it.

It didn't come with the obligatory VS board, but it did come with "Brass Section" data and waveform cards, in their respective slots. This wasn't mentioned in the auction text, so maybe the guy forgot, or possibly didn't know, they were there.

Also not mentioned in the auction text: the expansion board access-cover is missing and the power cable looks like it might have been spliced together. I guess I'll call us even.

I'll peruse the 288-page manual tonight for some light bedtime reading, but in the meantime:

1. Structures: anything to watch out for? Any of them you particularly like?

2. "Analog Feel" parameter: is this just an overall LFO? How are they doing this? Ever use it to good effect?

3. I like the waveform delay and the control over LFO's; guessing this will make some serious pads, yes?

4. What else?

This is easily the nicest sounding ROMpler I've ever heard.

I know!! After spending some time with the JD-800, it is seriously hard to think of this synth as a ROMpler. The 800/990 are serioussynthesizers that just happen to use samples waveforms. :)

2. "Analog Feel" parameter: is this just an overall LFO? How are they doing this? Ever use it to good effect?

I dont have a 990 (yet!), but I assume this is the same as the 'Pitch Randomness' slider on the 800. It does seem to be some sort of random LFO subtly modulating pitch, but it works very well.

3. I like the waveform delay and the control over LFO's; guessing this will make some serious pads, yes?

Indeed!

4. What else?

Now you need a JD-800 to use as a controller for the 990!! :D

Ive been considering slimming down my synth setup for a while now, and for the longest time was considering moving out the JD-800. Ive been spendng a lot more time with it because of this contest, and its definitely NOT going anywhere. The sounds it excells at (PADS, deep but clear sounding basses, wierd organic sounds, etc) are truly timeless. And the interface is just out of this world...SLIDE-O-RAMA!! :D

Originally posted by idiotboy

Thanks to you folks for turning me on to it.

Welcome to Club990 !! --> a club for people with delicate liking

The analog feel feature you asked about will apply pitch drift based on random waveform (almost identical to LFO's waveform number 7 called RND). It is important to note this will happen per each tone, not global per patch(!) which makes a big difference (although you do set it in patch menu). If patch consists of 4 tones, each tone will have its own analog drift! This lets you create real analog sounding detune because with each key press two tones will always be out of tune, even if they have coarse and finetune set to 0. Analog feel is my favorite function, i use it for most of patches.

Offtopic: After a long time i just touched JD-990's manual (to tell you RND waveform position number) and while browsing through it, and seeing all those features, i just became stunned for a moment ... how much ahead of it's time this synthesizer was.

Well, I finally got mine yesterday and managed to carve out an uninterrupted hour with it today.

:love:
This is easily the nicest sounding ROMpler I've ever heard. Thanks to you folks for turning me on to it.

4. What else?

Congrats!

Serious pads? Visit Gwydion site and download all patch banks he collected.

Then play with some of then and tell us after if that is a serious pad. :thu:

Originally posted by ElectricPuppy

Stop it. Stop it right now.

Stop making the JD sound so damned appealing. GAS... rising...
:mad:

In the JD800-JD990 foruns at Yahoo, a guy had FIVE JD-990 and one JD-800 :D

I will be happy with four :D

Guest Anonymous

Bump

I have a JD-800 and JD-990 and won't part with either.

My main wish is to have a expansion slot for the Vintage Synth card in the JD-800. All those sliders are crying out for more synth samples. I have some PCM cards from a company called SynthLegends that are made for the Wavestation. I wish they would have made some for the JD series. Does anybody know if there are extra PCM cards available besides the ones Roland made? I searched and never found any.

:cry:

Guest Anonymous

The VoiceCrystal cards are data cards or basically sysex data on a card. The SynthLegend cards are PCM cards with all new samples on them. They make my Wavestation SR sound like a new module with lots of new samples to create presets. The ones I have are SynthLegends and Techno&HipHop. I wish they would of made them available for the JD/JV series.

:wave:

1. Structures: anything to watch out for? Any of them you particularly like?

i often use the two osc into filters in series (HP into LP).

u can do fantastic moving BP style pads if u apply some of the myriad of posibilities for modulation on both of these filters respectively (lfo1 and 2, x 2). subtle goes a long way here.

also, this setup is great as mix carving utility - for those nice soft LP pads, when u put them in the mix and need to cut off the unecesarry low end balast robing u of headroom u use the HP in front.

if u run into a few bars where this sound is in scarcer arrangement and would like to have more beef - u can program a CC #2 to change the cutoff of HP - its easy to aotomate droping the HP freq and get lower, and back again.

for complex stuff, creating unexpected harmonics, play with the ringmod structures. not for all ocassions, but great for ambient, leftfield digi sounds.

Originally posted by burster1

The VoiceCrystal cards are data cards or basically sysex data on a card. The SynthLegend cards are PCM cards with all new samples on them. They make my Wavestation SR sound like a new module with lots of new samples to create presets. The ones I have are SynthLegends and Techno&HipHop. I wish they would of made them available for the JD/JV series.

:wave:

Interesting info here... can you tell more about these Synthlegend cards? I could not find any info at all on the net.

I wish they would of made them available for the JD/JV series.

Is the card format proprietary? Perhaps a suitably technical person could create new cards with whatever samples are desired.

Guest Anonymous

Does anybody know how to copy the SO-JD80 waveform cards? I searched the web and found nothing. Here's what I have so far

SynthLegends made PCM cards for the Wavestation.

Alesis offered Sound Bridge to make PCM cards.

Q-Card Wizard is a program that copies Q-cards.

If only we could make our own JD PCM cards.

:cool:

Does anybody know how to copy the SO-JD80 waveform cards? I searched the web and found nothing. Here's what I have so far

SynthLegends made PCM cards for the Wavestation.

Alesis offered Sound Bridge to make PCM cards.

Q-Card Wizard is a program that copies Q-cards.

If only we could make our own JD PCM cards.

:cool:

Or transplant the JD990 mainboard into the JD800...

Originally posted by Mook

Or transplant the JD990 mainboard into the JD800...

i may have a good donor, i think my JD has just croaked it :(

Originally posted by flat earth

i may have a good donor, i think my JD has just croaked it
:(

Give 50 quid for that rough 990!

Yesterday i downloaded all demos, can't decide which i like most, they are all so cool!

However, i noticed something and i hope it is just a coincidence due to mp3 compression or different soundcard A/D's. I noticed JD-800 demos to sound more "wide" in stereo spread and more Hi-Fi. In fact, this got me so interested that i will ask Awake or Gilberto to do a small test with the same patch played on JD-800 and then on JD-990.

@mook: hey, that water effect you made is really good. I never had idea to program one. Hehe, but now i will... with some other stuff, like mud bubbles, single water drop and water stream. ;-)

EDIT: ok we figured it out. No "Hi-Fi difference" between 800 and 990. My soundcard is a {censored}. That was the problem.