mxr blue box

bojo

• Members

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone here could give some links to find sound sample for the MXR Blue Box. I want to hear the twisted sounds it can make. The sound samples I heard are basic two octave distortion sound but I want to hear what kind of noise you can make with that effect. thanks:)

• Members

It's not really all that versitile. It's pretty much a one trick pony for that old skool nintendoish glitchy gated fuzz sound. It's cool when combined with delay and other effects, but on it own the samples you've heard give you an idea of what it does on it's own.

• Members

Originally posted by Biz Markie

It's not really all that versitile. It's pretty much a one trick pony for that old skool nintendoish glitchy gated fuzz sound. It's cool when combined with delay and other effects, but on it own the samples you've heard give you an idea of what it does on it's own.

so if i combined a fuzz with a two octave preset on a whammy a would get the same thing basically???

I tought it could do more than that based on the reviews I read but since I can't try one where I live i don't know...

• Members

I think it is more like a 1 1/2 trick pony. It has its thing it does, but you can get some variations of that trick. As stated before, it does drop the volume quite a bit. I found it to be almost unusable in a live situation. Very cool sound though. I would keep it to studio use. Perhaps there is something else out there that would do a similar trick.

• Members

I prefer to use the DOD FX33 Buzz Box , Mid-Fi Electronics Glitch Computer, and/or Tim Escobedo Uglyface for synthy, lower octave fuzz madness. I found it difficult to cope with the MXR Blue Box's volume drop.

• Members

Originally posted by bojo

so if i combined a fuzz with a two octave preset on a whammy a would get the same thing basically???

You would need to use an analog octave divider to create the same effect. I've heard that the Boss OC-2 and Arion MOC-2 "yodel" in a similar fashion.

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

You would need to use an analog octave divider to create the same effect. I've heard that the Boss OC-2 and Arion MOC-2 "yodel" in a similar fashion.

If by yodel you mean the way it glitches when you try to play chords, then yes... The OC-2 yodels quite nicely.

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

I prefer to use the DOD FX33 Buzz Box , Mid-Fi Electronics Glitch Computer, and/or Tim Escobedo Uglyface for synthy, lower octave fuzz madness. I found it difficult to cope with the MXR Blue Box's volume drop.

You'd think someone would come out with a mod for it by now, right?

• Members

there's a mod that helps with the volume drop. It also gives it more treble.

I did it a couple of weeks ago and have been loving it.

But I agree, not a versitile box to be tweaked, but works fantastically when I want to have a few seconds of noise.

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

i'd have to check that one... i've had boss oc-2 on my mind for some times...

• Members

Originally posted by scotron

there's a mod that helps with the volume drop. It also gives it more treble.

I did it a couple of weeks ago and have been loving it.

But I agree, not a versitile box to be tweaked, but works fantastically when I want to have a few seconds of noise.

yeah, I tried that on my blue box and it made it slightly more usable, but ultimately it is still a novelty box that doesn't cut it live.

• Members

Originally posted by murch33

If by yodel you mean the way it glitches when you try to play chords, then yes... The OC-2 yodels quite nicely.

but can it do the same thing just on single notes?

• Members

i've just done some clips.

i've only just received it on a trade this week and haven't had the chance to test it out through my full setup yet.

its a weird little box. but it's had a modification done to it. i believe it has higher volume and better bass and treble - this one http://www.noisefx.com/article/mxr_blue_box_mod

excuse my playing.

MXR Blue Box Clips

done direct to soundcard with a Schecter PT blackjack. switching between single coils and humbuckers (Duncan JB and '59). i found that rolling the tone down helped keep tracking on the more extreme settings.

i'm not sure i like the way it gates out though. i want it to roar as soon as the pedal is on..

• Members

i prefer the no-fi chaos or whatever the
thing is called on the e13 soda meiser...

also is probably still available as a stand alone pedal.

the blue box seemed too muddy, and i couldnt deal with the volume drop, either.

• Members
Originally posted by gambit

i've just done some clips.

i've only just received it on a trade this week and haven't had the chance to test it out through my full setup yet.

its a weird little box. but it's had a modification done to it. i believe it has higher volume and better bass and treble - this one
http://www.noisefx.com/article/mxr_blue_box_mod

excuse my playing.

MXR Blue Box Clips

done direct to soundcard with a Schecter PT blackjack. switching between single coils and humbuckers (Duncan JB and '59). i found that rolling the tone down helped keep tracking on the more extreme settings.

i'm not sure i like the way it gates out though. i want it to roar as soon as the pedal is on..

thanks man, it gives a good idea of the different settings!:thu:

Archived