Good autowah/envelope filter

Vigilance

• Members

I did not like the Emma Discumbobulator and the Moogerfooger LowPassFilter too much, but I must admit I did not spend more than 15 minutes testing those.

the best Envelope Filter and Autowah (even though the autowah is the dullest setting) is the Lovetone Meatball. It took me almost 4 years to realize it.

The one I prefer to use is the EHX QTron, phat and gnarly and very chewy like an old Muttron III

others I like were the Ibanez AF-801, which sounds more hifi than the tron, great for funk
I also used to own a Line6 FM-4 which had some outstanding filter settings to be discovered, but does sound very processed and shrill as compared to analogue filters.

Other intriguing pedals are the Prophecysound Rubber Fetish, the SubDecay Flying Tomato, the Frostwave Funk-a-Duck

• Members

Didn't like the EMMA. Used it for a few months and found it noisy/ear-piercing.

HIGHLY recommend the Chunk Systems "Agent 00-Funk Mark II." Absolutely stupid name, absolutely awesome filter. Does everything I've ever wanted an envelope filter to do-- from quacky funk to sloooooooow Radiohead swells-- and (soundwise) it compares favorably with the Meatball and original Mutron (both of which I have owned). If you can find one used, you can get a great deal.

• Members

The Tone Factor Analouge Filter is reasonably priced and sounds GREAT. It's a very simple unit; just two knobs. I've tried the Emma, the Menatone, the robotalk, several others. I even had a Mutron. which is still the mack daddy; it's so warm sounding. But the tone Factor was superior to the others I thought. The meatball; stuff like that is waaaayyyyyy over the top for me. The Mutron is as complicated as I'd personally ever want to get....Some people love spending hours tweaking though. So you might want to decide first off if your the kind of guy who wants to deal with two knobs (simple) or the kind of guy who needs lots of knobs and parameters to play with.

• Members

Here's one most ppl haven't tried: Jacques trinity!

Its one of the most vocal wahs/filter i have played. Too bad the actual wah side is difficult to control and engage, otherwize i'd also use my as a main wah.

• Members

I've tried the Moog and the Maxon.

I haven't tried the Moog's a lot, but what I generally gather is that the Moog's effect is smoother and more polished; the Maxon's is more pronounced and bubbly, with a rapid decay. And the Maxon's is a lot smaller. Auto wahs in general require tweaking to match whatever guitar you are using, its tone and volume.

• Members

I have a EH Mini Q-tron and I think it sounds weak. It doesn't seem to have much effect even with the volume low. I don't know if there's something wrong with it or not.

I tried the EMMA on two different occasions and thought it sounded great. I don't know how it fares live but it was simple and funky enough for me. I may pick one up sometime.

Archived