OLCircuits Thunderchief and English Channel done!

• Members

Both are very unique sounding overdrive/distortion boxes based on JFET emulations of classic amplifiers. The Thunderchief is based on the Marshall Super Lead 100 and has lots of gain and character. The English Channel is modelled after the Vox AC30 Topboost--a bit less gain than the TC but with much more flexibility because of the tone stack. I'm lovin' these boxes.

tc_done.jpg

ec_done.jpg

Mark at OLCircuits is making it pretty easy to get into some awesome DIY stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by vigor&kandor

i am expecting my Thunderchief kit sometime next week.

did you use a different transistor for Q1. i heard that if Q1 has to much gain the signal is noisy.

In the Thunderchief, I ended up using an MPF102 in the first stage, now its quiet as a Mouse. OLC includes a couple of MPF102s in addition to the stock J201s. Since the transistors are socketed it makes it pretty easy to swap them in and out.

Be sure to ask Mark for the latest Thunderchief Build Gude ;)

• Members

Originally posted by vigor&kandor

will do.

can you name a specific song, or band that the thuderchief nails exactly?

Third movement of the Brahms Concerto in D Minor, as played by the Berlin Philharmonic. Absolutely nails it.

But seriously, I'm not good at comparing tones. Build it, you'll love it.

• Members

Originally posted by olcircuits

Wow!! Those look great, Dano!!! Thank you for the kind words.

I want to give recognition to another, though. Without these guys, OLC really would not exist. Props to the runoffgroove.com team!

Yep, the ROG guys have done some really great work. I think it would be cool if they took a break from FET amp simulations for a while though. What the world needs is another overdrive. Seriously though--if they took the basic building blocks they already have, they could come up with a killer non-TS overedrive pedal. I'd vote for a full tone stack too.

• Members

Originally posted by cap'n'crunch

Still waiting for some clips of the TC. I can't make anything out from the clips at runoffgroove. Sounds like two different songs played at the same time.
:confused:

I'll really try this weekend--dork's honor. I know a lot of folks are waiting with baited breath to hear more lackluster playing :)

• Members

I put my kit together tonight. The Thuderchief has such a sweet marshall sound. It is a literal 'Stack in a Box'. The first thing that came to mind when played it was the opening to Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid'. Although I am pretty sure Iommi used a Laney and a treble booster.

I suggest anyone who builds pedals to try this one.

Archived