OT: New Futureheads out tomorrow

beezdeez

• Members

Already out across the pond, so I got it off slsk because I couldn't wait 4 days. Ready for more mindless catchiness. These guys have it down to a science when it comes to making music that's in your head all day.

Here is their single:

Question for UKers with the album already... the version I downloaded kind of sounds airy... thin... distant, but not in a reverb kind of way. Is it like this on the album, or it just a problem with compression when it was ripped?

P.S. - I plan on buying it tomorrow, so spare me the myeah myeah pirate myeah crap. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

its gonna be great, i can't wait.

the Futureheads are one of the few

existing 'rock' bands whose stuff i adore.

'skip to the end' is my myspace song.

one of the reasons i'm thinking about jumping on a Vox AC30:wave:

The AC30 will definitely do it.

I have a post it note on my computer that says:

New Futureheads

UK: May 29th

US: June 13th

So far I really like it. It's a little less in-your-face catchy as the self-titled, but it's good.

I wish I could write {censored} that catchy. It's ridiculous. I feel like Bernie from "Weekend at Bernies" when I listen to it because I can't help but move around.

bernies.jpg

• Members

UI saw them play in London last year - they seemed to be using some kind of Fender 4x10 to me - it could have been a HR Deville. One of the guys had two of them IIRC.

They were great. The vocals always blow me away though. Perfect 4-part harmonies!

• Members

just came across this while at work, thought some would be interested:

---------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------

Another crucial element of The Futureheads brew, are their bright, angular guitars. Lead singer Barry Hyde has recently switched from a Tele to a Gordon Smith, but Ross is sticking to his trusty Fender Telecaster Custom.

"It's just a Mexican one" he shrugs. "I got used to using it when we were starting, and to be honest, we've been on the road all the time so I feel used to that guitar. It feels like my guitar. I play it through a Fender Deville, like a four by ten, and I think that combination is great. We've always had a bright, clear sound. Fender amps are notoriously bright and trebly, often to the point that many people find them distasteful. Barry's sound used to be incredibly buzz-saw. He'd use this Evans analogue echo unit, through a Marlborough PA head for an amp, and only recently, in the last couple of years, has he started using a Vox AC30. Now that he uses the Gordon Smith though, I think I have the more trebly sound."

Ross has tried out Mesa Boogie amps, which he believes, are a bit meatier and perhaps more reliable, but for him, using unfamiliar gear is a psychological hill to get over. You get used to your own set-up. It's as simple as that. Overall, The Futureheads' sound is quite unprocessed. Barry uses an MXR Micro Amp Pedal, whilst Ross simply deploys his amp's footswitch.

"The idea of the band in the beginning was to be as straight forward and fundamental as we could" he declares. "We wanted to master our instruments before we got into foot pedals and stuff. A lot of young guitar players can become fascinated with delays and effects pedals before they've truly learned how to play their instrument."

IN THE STUDIO

Although their live set up is fairly sacrosanct, when it comes to studio work, they don't mind a few embellishments. "For the first album we used an Electro Harmonix Frequency Modulator, and Barry used a guitar synth, and we had an Electro Harmonix Memory Man too" Ross admits. Using effects in the studio that are not used in the live arena, can add flavours which - though quite low in the mix - make the sound more rounded and interesting. With that in mind then, have they got their eyes on any items for their next opus?

"We'll get some extra guitars and maybe a couple of amps to spice things up a bit." Ross beams. "I've not decided on my set up for the album. I really want to try out those Gretsch Jet's, because there's a bit more meat on those bones, and sometimes guitars like that record a little bit better than things like Tele's, which can sound a bit thin sometimes. We used a Kramer guitar quite a lot on the first album - those solid-steel neck aluminum guitars. That was interesting to play. They're really heavy, but you could get interesting sounds out of those things."

It's unlikely the boys will be getting any Gibson Les Paul's or Marshall amps however. Ross loves his brightness too much, and believes they simply don't give enough cut. He's knows what he likes. And to be honest, that's largely because he cares more about the music than any rock and roll posturing. Like Franz and Bloc Party before them, The Futureheads are a million miles from the pumped up, swaggering Liam's, or self-destructive Pete Doherty's of this world. Which is why they're not likely to screw it all up by getting lost in a drug haze. They're clean living dudes. Ross doesn't do drugs or drink. "We're from that school of thought that sees rock and roll excess as being a little bit tired, boring and cliched" he asserts. (well, get them to send all their unwanted excess my way - Ed)

In fact, it's while answering a question about the media's fascination with Pete Doherty's much publicised drug mishaps, that Ross delivers a simple statement that arguably summarises one of The Futureheads core beliefs. "Why do people have to go through all this drug hell time and time again to realise that they should be clean living in order to be creative and proactive?" he asks And that's the crux: Ross, Barry, Dave and Jaff, are four lads putting their music first. Not fashion. Not drugs. Not corny poses. Just fun

Archived