WC - USA vs Czech Republic

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i've always been baffled as to why the american team isn't as good as the rest of the world. i mean, we're exponentially bigger than most other countries (and the european continent) and yet we can't pull together a coaching staff and squad to consistently compete...what gives?

• Members

Originally posted by aeroslepperin

i've always been baffled as to why the american team isn't as good as the rest of the world. i mean, we're exponentially bigger than most other countries (and the european continent) and yet we can't pull together a coaching staff and squad to consistently compete...what gives?

I don't think it helps that allot of your fellow countrymen don't give a {censored} about the game and fail to get behind your squad ... In Australia when we qualified against Uruguay and won in a penatly shoot out ... it was front page news and the entire nation went beserk! Now we just beat Japan 3-1 ... tomorrow it will be a media blitz and people will be driving to work with Aussie flags on their cars etc etc etc ... that's the way allot of Football nations are regarding support for their teams ... allot of the US has a bias against it and kind of psychologically undermine your team in my opinion. At the end of the day though you have to win games.

• Members

One of the biggest problems is we don't have the competition level within our own country. To get that, we would have to constantly travel to South America, Europe, Japan, Australia,etc and the cost is too great. We don't have the financial backing in this country. Soccer is not considered a national sport and probably won't be for quite some time. I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime. Truly sad.

• Members

A combination of things.
Athletes are drawn to play basketball or American Football.
beyond that, Americans generally speaking dont give a damn about soccer :(

• Members
Originally posted by fusionid

A combination of things.

Athletes are drawn to play basketball or American Football.

beyond that, Americans generally speaking dont give a damn about soccer
:(

Yep, the best athletes find their sport young, really young.

So many good footballers are probably wasted on a Baseball park somewhere because that's what Daddy aspired to and he'll damn sure coax his kid that way too.

• Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

I don't think it helps that allot of your fellow countrymen don't give a {censored} about the game and fail to get behind your squad ... In Australia when we qualified against Uruguay and won in a penatly shoot out ... it was front page news and the entire nation went beserk! Now we just beat Japan 3-1 ... tomorrow it will be a media blitz and people will be driving to work with Aussie flags on their cars etc etc etc ... that's the way allot of Football nations are regarding support for their teams ... allot of the US has a bias against it and kind of psychologically undermine your team in my opinion. At the end of the day though you have to win games.

sounds like my neighborhood yesterday for the puerto rican day parade :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Teahead

Yep, the best athletes find their sport young, really young.

So many good footballers are probably wasted on a Baseball park somewhere because that's what Daddy aspired to and he'll damn sure coax his kid that way too.

Yep. They're encouraged to go where the money is. Not too many people make a living in this country playing soccer.

• Members
Originally posted by (((echo)))

fantastic czech team and poor usa effort = easy czech win. i blame it on "give'm hell" bush. you {censored} up everything else, please have the decency to stay out of our sports
:mad:

I'd like to pass blame too but, unfortunately, he wasn't one of the 11 on the pitch today.:(

• Members

hehe
we can even pin point the exact event

NY Times:

Eager to prove they are among soccer's elite after their surprising quarterfinal finish in South Korea four years ago, the Americans brought their most-talented team ever to this year's tournament. They even got a pregame pep talk from President Bush, who called from Camp David before the game and wished them well

:cry:

• Members
Originally posted by crankit

LOL. I can appreciate your rationale.
:)

i'm telling you, i was confident until they played that clip just before the start.. i got a sinking feeling that was confirmed when we bounced one off the post, game over

i give the czechs full credit though, that's a damn good team :eek:

• Members

I'm really looking forward to Tiki's commentary on the Italy vs USA game.

Spot on result for the Aussies today, absolute cracking last ten minutes and two goals from an Everton player. :thu: Top stuff !!!

Hope they do well Against Brasil, its basically going to be two teams full of Premiership and Spanish Championship players battling it out.

• Members
Originally posted by dangerous dan

I'm really looking forward to Tiki's commentary on the Italy vs USA game.

Spot on result for the Aussies today, absolute cracking last ten minutes and two goals from an Everton player.
:thu:
Top stuff !!!

Hope they do well Against Brasil, its basically going to be two teams full of Premiership and Spanish Championship players battling it out.

Bang on mate ... and what about that bloody awful foul on our goalie that the blind REF gave to the Japanese team!!!! :(

Talk about robbed ... robbed by a 3rd world ref!

Hiddink nearly punched out the 4th official trying to see the replay on the sideline and then nearly took out some of the Japenese coaching staff who were talking trash about our team before the game lead up to put the idea in the ref's mind that we played dirty and too physical!

pricks ... :mad:

But we got our justice mate ... :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by crankit

After hearing about our dismal efforts against the Czech Rep. I doubt the outcome of the Italy game will do much to lift spirits. We may have a short lifespan.

Have you been able to see any highlights yet?

BTW* Italy are playing Ghana in about 10 mins ... that is going to be an incredible game!!!!

• Members

BTW* Italy are playing Ghana in about 10 mins ... that is going to be an incredible game!!!!

i'm hoping to catch replays tonight. not sure what channel to check for. i know the spanish channels definitely re-air the games later on...but my father said he caught a few games in english the other night...

• Members

No I haven't Tiki. I'll see them on the news when I get home in about 1 1/2 hrs.

Archived