What are the differences between phasors and uni-vibes?

BigK335

• Members

I know they have similar aplications, but why do uni-vibes cost almost $300 while phasors are only around $100?

I know that hendrix and Gilmour (around meddle and DSOTM) used uni-vibes, but can their sound be copied by a phasor?

Is the expression pedal in a uni-vibe very important?

-BigK335-

• Members

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1270222&highlight=univibe

The Univibe is a 'Rotating Speaker Simulator', it was designed to sound like a Leslie. It sounds nothing like a Leslie, however... but it does sound very good as a new effect at the time. Basically, it was the first Phaser Shifter and it used an incadecent bulb with photo resistors as opposed to most of the modern transistor or fet based phasers.

It depends on how accurate you want it to be. In my experience, Uni-Vibes have a wierd hump at the peak that most phasers don't have. You need to check out both to see what you really want. I'm 98% sure Breathe is a Uni-Vibe, but I got really close with a Small Stone before I purchased a Uni-Vibe and other Phasers. As far as a foot controller, it depends on if you want to change the speed while you are playing or just set it and forget it. It seems most classic tracks don't use the foot pedal, but if you really like that speed transistion a la Leslie cabinet then go for it.

• Members

If your spending less than $200.00 on vibe. your better off trying to find a warm phaser. Tweek the trimpot on an evh, just as good as any vibe for the same price, to me. But if your spending arround 300.00 or more on a vibe were talking another story.

If you your looking for medium to subtle buy a wiggler, it does vibes and about 10 other awesome modulations for under $200.00 bucks.

Archived