the Mangler

• Members

Favorite settings?

...I really don't know yet. I'm still just mucking about through the presets. Here are a few of my early impressions:

The laserverbs are interesting, but can get pretty extreme. It does a surprisingly good Leslie sim. The tapped and pitched delays are sending me far away on flights of fancy. The distortions are forgetable. The ringmods and frequency shifts are cool but really need an ebow or a BigMuff to come alive for guitar. One of the big thrills are the patches that perfectly ape an old MXR Pitch Transposer with the feedback on runaway... weeee!!

:freak::thu:

• Members

Here are the first couple of Mangler vids:

mangled leslie
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=574597433033811185

cold badonkin'
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5413293026426826692

These clips demo the surprisingly good Leslie cabinet sim. It only has 2 speeds, fast and slow, but the ramp sounds excellent. I pickup up the Mangler for its more whacked-out sounds, but can see this patch getting a lot of use. I have owned and sold the latest Boss and Digitech leslie sim pedals. While it's not fair to compare a pedal with a rack, the Mangler's leslie just kicks those paperweights to the curb. :p

In these vids I'm using a Grosh baritone through a bjf PGC and a SBeq and then into an Acoustic Image, Clarus and out into an Aguilar 1x10 cab. This is my all purpose home rig/PA that I use for bass, baritone, synth, or drums around the apartment. The Mangler is running into the Clarus' effects loop. I can't wait to try it in stereo.

(more to come soon...)

• Members

...oh believe me, the tweekier sounds are coming. I wanted to ease folks into it and not scare them away with the most out-to-lunch clips first.

This is HCfx though... so I really shouldn't underestimate the mutant quocient around here.
:eek::wave::D

• Members
Originally posted by NightChildren

The Mangler is a surperb piece. LazerFlange is far out. The range of sounds is just out of this world. I have mine in the expanded tweak mode. The only sounds I do not like out of it is the chorus sounds, it means nothing to me though, because I baught if for distortion.

Woah, for the distorion... How are you using it? I wasn't blown away by the disto-presets, but I'm sure that with some tweaking there are some cool grinding and fuzzy sounds in there.

I was using the "drum loosener", "tightener", and "frightener" patches with an Ebow and slide on my bari just now.
:eek::thu:

...oh my poor neighbors! - :mad::p

• Members
Originally posted by fatbackribs

This is HCfx though... so I really shouldn't underestimate the mutant quocient around here.

:eek::wave::D

I'm guessing you haven't heard many clips from the synth forum then... Some of those guys are twisted.

• Members

nice crotch shots, crappy tone! :thu:

Here are the first couple of Mangler vids:

mangled leslie

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=574597433033811185

cold badonkin'

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5413293026426826692

These clips demo the surprisingly good Leslie cabinet sim. It only has 2 speeds, fast and slow, but the ramp sounds excellent. I pickup up the Mangler for its more whacked-out sounds, but can see this patch getting a lot of use. I have owned and sold the latest Boss and Digitech leslie sim pedals. While it's not fair to compare a pedal with a rack, the Mangler's leslie just kicks those paperweights to the curb.
:p

In these vids I'm using a Grosh baritone through a bjf PGC and a SBeq and then into an Acoustic Image, Clarus and out into an Aguilar 1x10 cab. This is my all purpose home rig/PA that I use for bass, baritone, synth, or drums around the apartment. The Mangler is running into the Clarus' effects loop. I can't wait to try it in stereo.

(more to come soon...)

• Members
Originally posted by jasonfuzz

You have one insane dvd collection.

cheers, me likes me vidles! :)

the DVD's are mostly music and old-school kung-fu; Shaw Brothers, Golden Harvest, etc...

Anyone with a 5.1 system owes it to themselves to find Cornelious' "Point" DVD/cd. Definately one of my favorite audio/visual experiences of late.
:thu:

• Members

cheers, me likes me vidles!
:)

the DVD's are mostly music and old-school kung-fu; Shaw Brothers, Golden Harvest, etc...

Anyone with a 5.1 system owes it to themselves to find Cornelious' "Point" DVD/cd. Definately one of my favorite audio/visual experiences of late.

:thu:

Man, I watched Golden Harvest movies too, but as a kid and mostly because that's what my parents watched. Are Chinese classic films a big thing now?

• Members

hey it worked for C.C. Deville! Remind me to forward you my DSL-combo/kilt demo...

:wave:

pwned....:p

Anyways, cool spontaneous clips as usual. That Grosh Baritone is really nice/ lipsticky too. :thu:

• Members
Are Chinese classic films a big thing now?

...a bit, but I just like seeing dudes with real skills rip each other up. It's fantasy, but the actors/acrobats/fighters were at a whole 'nother artistic level than what we see in action films today, (Tony Jaa's films excepted). The Shaw film "Dirty Ho" is a great example of a kung-fu movie that has great artistry and creativity with it's very unique use of disguised fighting. Anyhow I could go way O.T> on kung fu movies, although I wouldn't mind seeing:

the Mangler Meets the Flying Guillotine
:D

• Members

I have one and I love it, but the only problem I am having is that the user saved presets have midi channel numbers taht start at 197 and on up. This can make using the thing live a pain without the right midi controller. Currently struggling with setting up a Behringer FCB1010 to perform the changes in manual patch selction mode. Night Children, are you using this in a live setting? If so, what are you using as a midi controller to change patches on the fly?

Any input/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Archived