semi-OT: my quest for the RIGHT amp.

• Members

dunno about the mod, but i'm sure that guy would answer an e-mail in a jiffy.

coach- you got a twin !
:love:
did you ever play it before it was blackfaced?

basically i want to cop these tones with 1 amp...

the smiths' "this charming man"
sonic youth's "silver rocket"
the futureheads' "skip to the end"
the Clash "janie jones".

those 4 songs some up sort of the stuff i'm writing now.

(threm- whats the scoop on that 'tone king' ?)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by preservation

(threm- whats the scoop on that 'tone king' ?)

No big deal, really, just bumping the thread. :)

But when I was looking into blackface amps a year ago the Toneking MeteorII seemed to be up there. Blackface with some tweed and using pedals for more marshally/voxy sounds was my idea. Easier to have a blackface core sound and add the mids/ grease than going the other way round, me thoughts.
An amp like this will last a life time, in that regard the price is reasonable.

BUT in that price range there are too many great amps made today, Toneking being just one. Tophats, Kingsley, whatever ....

Just now I`m looking for a recording low watt amp. Here`s the 1 watt Bumbox Lead 1. Can be tuned blackface or marshally on order. $399.

newlead1.jpg
http://www.sombrabella.com/bumbox/index.html

• Members

i think all this crap about the twin not having its own voice is a little off base to put it mildly. i've never played a silverface, but my 67 blackface has personality spilling out of it. i've owned a {censored} load of amps, and i can attest to this. don't mean to be rude, but maybe its your playing that lacks personality. the twin reverb is the {censored}in twin reverb; it's revered the way it is for a reason. look in the tube amp book, it's in the top 10 greatest amps of all time with the deluxe reverb, ac30tb and jtm45 etc.... no personality, i think thats a crock of {censored}e. if swirling full mids, crysal clear sparkly highs and upper mids, booming bass, and complex harmonics that no other amp can touch equate no personality you may want to consider going straight into the PA through a kaoss pad or a blue box or something...you may find this a stronger personality...

• Members

so threm, for a max of $1200 (used)

what would you recommend?

i want the vox chime, the marshall clean, and loud. (thinking 2x12")

If you could stretch your budget a little, how about the Valvtech Hayseed? The deposit is small and you could save up. The folks here who have the amp seems happy.

I haven`t heard (owned) many amps compared to the people over at the TGP amp forum. Seems more sivilized with less testosterone and ultra high gainers than the HC amp forum.

I would have started a thread at TGP if I were you. Just to get as many experienced opinions/ideas as possible.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=3

• Members

thanks man, i appreciate your input.
i think in vanguard's case he's not taking the following into account:

we have different types of Twins.
every amp/guitar/pedal sounds different at least to some degree, but i'm trying to get a proper idea of an amp i should try out in my search for a SPECIFIC tone...
that peoples perception of tone is quite different.

• Members

well that was pretty intense... next ?
:)

perhaps, but cummon, man. just cause the twin doesn't work for you. i mean, it's one of the most famous amps ever. those were some really sweeping comments. just blackface it. we listen to all the same types of music, and the twin is reknowned for doing exactly what you want.

• Members
perhaps, but cummon, man. just cause the twin doesn't work for you.

well bud, i started this thread b/c i'm not exactly happy with either of my amps.
i didn't dog the Twin or say anything negative about it, except for that in my experience with ONE SPECIFIC type of twin that it just seemed to push out exactly what you put into it.

i'm thinking about blackfacing it, but i'm keeping this thread alive a bit longer so i can get a better idea of whats out there...
and to learn what modding a silverface to blackface specs actually DOES.

i try to not tell people they don't know what tone is if they're selling a Rickenbacker in hopes of grabbing an SG, so its hard for me to see why posted other than just to say "wait just a sec, i think you may be mistaken. my Twin has lots of character and you may benefit from further investigation into a blackface mod". if so, thanks !:wave:

• Members

well bud, i started this thread b/c i'm not exactly happy with either of my amps.

i didn't dog the Twin or say anything negative about it, except for that in my experience with ONE SPECIFIC type of twin that it just seemed to push out exactly what you put into it.

i'm thinking about blackfacing it, but i'm keeping this thread alive a bit longer so i can get a better idea of whats out there...

and to learn what modding a silverface to blackface specs actually DOES.

i try to not tell people they don't know what tone is if they're selling a Rickenbacker in hopes of grabbing an SG, so its hard for me to see why posted other than just to say "wait just a sec, i think you may be mistaken. my Twin has lots of character and you may benefit from further investigation into a blackface mod". if so, thanks !
:wave:

k. suppose i misunderstood you to some degree. i thought this was one of those "teles SUCK!" type threads. but clearly that wasnt the idea.....so yeah....."wait just a sec, i think you may be mistaken. my Twin has lots of character and you may benefit from further investigation into a blackface mod"

• Members

that said, i'm VERY tempted to sell my 4x12" in the next few days and send my Twin to NY-state for the mod.

does anyone know exactly what makes the blackface-Twins so much more highly regarded ?

the Twin is nice, i wouldn't have kept it longer than 2 days if i couldn't coax good sounds of it, but i still yearn for a "chimier" sound...that said, i think its b/c my tele is so beefy sounding-
and it MIGHT be cured b/c i plan on purchasing a Rickenbacker 330 or 360 in the next month or so.
i can never tell which one i like better when i play them, as they both have qualities i love...

i wish i could try a Rick into my Twin..or a blackface Twin.:cry:

• Members

I think what he's saying is that to truly blackface a fender amp you would need to replace the transformers to bring the watts down to 85 from 100. The later model your twin is, the harder it will be to approximate the blackface specs. Yours is I believe a 72, which is the first year of the master volume, and should be pretty easily converted. I have a 72 also, which has been blackface modded, and I love it. If you'd like, I can certainly try and record some samples for you. All I have to record with right now is a little mini-disc recorder, but I'll certainly try and get some things recorded for you. Just let me know what EQ settings you usually like, and I have a few different guitars so I can use one that's similar to yours also. If it helps.

• Members

Originally posted by jackpotjewell

How does it sound? I'm tempted to switch the speakers on mine. Do you like the Weber's?

It sounds excellent. I'm really taking a liking to the Webers. Very Punchy and aggressive for the most part but it can mellow out. Got a Shellac-esque tone out of the vibrato side immediately.

I'm still getting used to the amp but so far I'm not disappointed.

• Members

Originally posted by Coach

It sounds excellent. I'm really taking a liking to the Webers. Very Punchy and aggressive for the most part but it can mellow out. Got a Shellac-esque tone out of the vibrato side immediately.

I'm still getting used to the amp but so far I'm not disappointed.

which webers are you using? i've been wanting to get some low-efficiency speakers in my twin that have an early breakup. the celestion greenback reissues seem pretty cool...

edit: its the G12m speaker.

• Members

Originally posted by vanguard

which webers are you using? i've been wanting to get some low-efficiency speakers in my twin that have an early breakup. the celestion greenback reissues seem pretty cool...

edit: its the G12m speaker.

What are you using for speakers now?

• Members

Originally posted by jackpotjewell

What are you using for speakers now?

jbl d120f's. the LOUDEST most piercing speakers known to man.

i'm looking to replace either one or both for something basically the ecact opposite. quiet, low-wattage (?), early breakup, mid heavy, etc...

• Members

i wonder how a twin would sound w/ different spkrs--- or which 2 would compliment each other pretty well.:confused:
i just sort of feel like i haven't gotten a REALLY good idea of what a Twin is 'supposed' to sound like - especially since mine has those Carvin British series spkrs in there. it sounds GOOD...but maybe i'll get down to experimenting.

• Members

i wonder how a twin would sound w/ different spkrs--- or which 2 would compliment each other pretty well.
:confused:
i just sort of feel like i haven't gotten a REALLY good idea of what a Twin is 'supposed' to sound like - especially since mine has those Carvin British series spkrs in there. it sounds GOOD...but maybe i'll get down to experimenting.

yeah, i was being a wank before; there are a million different components to an amp that could make us hear two different tones. i'm just convinced that the twin is THE amp if you can turn it up sufficiently and use the right tubes/speakers. i've benn trying to get speaker recommendations on here for ages, but no one seems to know....that or they won't share the knowledge.

• Members

yeah, no worries. i know you've always been awesome on this board & i dig your music so i figured it was just a misunderstanding.
the thing thats been shocking me is that
the Twin simply hasn't made me say "thats the one" yet... and i wouldn't be shocked if its b/c of the spkrs, or it not being 'blackfaced' or whatever-the-case is.

i'm torn b/w just trying out a VOX AC-30 out asap or sending the Twin up to NY for the Voodoo mod.

i have to almost think ANY 'great' amp could sound like crap if something is wrong with it- makes me wonder if thats why some folks HATE sovtek mig 60s and i think they sound precious...

Archived