semi-OT: my quest for the RIGHT amp.

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

I think you should just forget ever trying to make music and do what you do best, discuss your gear purchases incessantly. Forget ever trying to make your own decisions, you def. need to check with every forum over and over.

This is probably the best advice.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by gregovertone

just makin a crappy joke, being as you mentioned my setup.

carry on. humor attempts retracted.

BWAHAHAHA. I'm a fool, I somehow assumed it was preservation that typed that. I just pwnd myself.
:wave:

Dude, you and Olle have nice nearly identical amp setups. And I love you for it.
:o

• Members
Originally posted by papa taco

BWAHAHAHA. I'm a fool, I somehow assumed it was preservation that typed that. I just pwnd myself.

Dude, you and Olle have nice nearly identical amp setups. And I love you for it.

:o

way to go dood.
and to think, i finally felt like a true HC'r for being Taco'd. I had been Robo'd and Markom'd, but never Taco'd.

i must wait til another day.

Olle has good taste. he likes his cleans, and wants his headroom. i commend him for that :D

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

greg, if you don't mind me asking how much $ did you have to shell out for the hiwatt 50 ?

well, i picked it up 6 months ago. they became cool shortly after, and it seems the prices have since gone up on vintage (possibly due to the crappy/overpriced ri's).

i bid on 4 in 2 weeks.

none went over $1200, and none hit the reserve. then one i bought was in chicago, so i emailed the dood and asked to pick it up with cash. the deal was for $1300.

fair price, being as i got to play it.

about a month later, a 73 dr504 like mine went for $1800 on ebay, in a bidding war.

ridiculous.

im half tempted to score any other vintage ones i find at reasonable prices. seems like a wise investment.

• Members

thats why i'm going nuts, b/c i can't really TRY many amps-

maybe i should just sell 1 amp or both, and travel to Va Beach.

i hear Alpha music is pretty gnar -

maybe beezdeez can tell me whats good @ the beach... or D.C.

-----------

whats the scoop w/ Top Hat ?

i just checked their site...those prices are insane...
:cry:

Alpha has Tophats. They are really cool about letting you try things. I never asked to crank anything though, but they are really cool guys in there. Can't remember the name of the guy in effects but he is a really cool guy... Miles? The people who work there are talented players too, so you can get them to play a riff while you stand back and listen to the amp.

Check out here too:

http://www.audiolight.com/

I saw some AC30s in there last time I was there.

That's basically it though around here.

I can't really help much with the question as to which amp though. :o

• Members

Originally posted by gregovertone

well, i picked it up 6 months ago. they became cool shortly after, and it seems the prices have since gone up on vintage (possibly due to the crappy/overpriced ri's).

i bid on 4 in 2 weeks.

none went over $1200, and none hit the reserve. then one i bought was in chicago, so i emailed the dood and asked to pick it up with cash. the deal was for $1300.

fair price, being as i got to play it.

about a month later, a 73 dr504 like mine went for $1800 on ebay, in a bidding war.

ridiculous.

im half tempted to score any other vintage ones i find at reasonable prices. seems like a wise investment.

but in case you're still interested, biacrown era hiwatts are just as good and could probably be sought out for less than a hylight era amp.

and you could probably score a biacrown lead 50 for even less.

• Members

that is absolutely true.

the biacrown hiwatts seen to be floating +/- $1000

they were made after the 4hole Hylight era models, and are known for breaking up a little earlier. they still stay clean loud, just have a little more gain available, should you want it.

• Members

FENDER TWIN MOD: "Black Face/Plexi Mod"

Amp: Fender silver face Twin (mid-Late 70's with or w/o Master Volume)

Price: $295.00

Includes:

* All Modifications are exclusive to Voodoo Amps

Archived