semi-OT: my quest for the RIGHT amp.

• Members

first of all, i express my gratitude up front for anyone that will take the time to read this and give me sound advice:

i debated on whether this should go in the amp forum, but i think some of you have a better idea of what i'm looking for and what i'm into (musically speaking, not the animal costume thing.)

anyhow, this is my deal-

i'm leaving the mega-LOUD band i was in where it was just a drummer and myself.

i used tons of live looping, and used every single pedal i own. lots of atmosphere, changes etc.

i used both my 72' Fender Twin & my Sovtek Mig 60 w/ 4x12" avatar cab. (no, not in stereo).

i plan on downsizing just a bit, (pedal & amp-wise) acquiring a shell pink tele, and finding the 'right' amp.

-----------------------------------------------

here's where you can help:

my influences (old & new) for what i plan on doing band-wise from this point are:

the clash, bauhaus, the smiths, gang of four, talking heads, the futureheads, broken social scene, echo & the bunnymen, belle & sebastian, joy division, enon, les savy fav, etc-

so i plan on some rock tunes w/a great pop sensibility. what i'd LOVE from an amp is:

* a great amount of volume (to play with a LOUD drummer)

* Fender-ish, sparkly/chimey cleans.

* 1 channel if possible (simple layout).

* 2x12" combo or head into 2x12"/4x12", but if its a combo it needs the ability to push an extra cabinet.

eventually i'll only really be playing teles.

i'd go and sell my 2 amps and pick up a Vox AC30, but then i get a bit worried about how "they're not that great unless dimed" and "they burn up tubes real fast".

i'd get a marshall jcm800 and call it a day, but it might be TOO MUCH and not give me the sparkly clean character (which is what i'm after).

i'd get a fender supersonic head but i worry that its not quite loud enough, and that the tones are merely decent

attempts at vibrolux & bassman tones.

----

summation:

----

i'd basically love an all-in-one amp.

stage-loud w/ a heck of a clean tone.

it must have character... the Twin & my sovtek do a better job of simply pushing out exactly what i put in... they lack a bit of character which is what i need for the music i plan on doing.

i don't care about built in gain or effects (reverb would be nice, but i won't necessarily miss it)

i don't need an effects loop.

i just need clean chimey buttery CLEANS with some power behind it.

any suggestions for what i should consider? richmond isn't exactly an easy place to go trying out amps...

my budget would be somewhere b/w $800 and $1200.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

blackface fender bandmaster....the best amp I have ever owned....45w, rich fender cleans I put a 12at7 in the preamp and it stayed clean up to 8 or 9 which is pretty loud and you can jump the channels for some extra volume. Tremolo is pretty standard and can be disconnected for more volume. I would recommend trying one out if you get the chance. :thu:

• Members

hrm. def. something to consider-
thought about the bassman, i just thought i basically had one since the Sovtek is supposed to be a clone...
inscho are you running the head into a 2x12" cab ?
---
aero:
i haven't ruled out hybrids or even solid states, as i'm told over and over again by about 3 different friends that the Fender Roc Pro has a gorgeous clean tone.
i flirt with the idea of getting one of the heads since they're cheap and it'd be loud.
then again, would it have that gorgeous chimey character? i do not know.:cry:

• Members
Originally posted by preservation

thought about the bassman, i just thought i basically had one since the Sovtek is supposed to be a clone...

inscho are you running the head into a 2x12" cab ?

---

aero:

i haven't ruled out hybrids or even solid states, as i'm told over and over again by about 3 different friends that the Fender Roc Pro has a gorgeous clean tone.

i flirt with the idea of getting one of the heads since they're cheap and it'd be loud.

then again, would it have that gorgeous chimey character? i do not know.
:cry:

yup I have mine running through an open back 2x12 with eminence texas heats...makes for really thick cleans...if normal fender cleans are water then this is milk :love:

• Members

I think you should just forget ever trying to make music and do what you do best, discuss your gear purchases incessantly. Forget ever trying to make your own decisions, you def. need to check with every forum over and over.

• Members

aero:

then again, would it have that gorgeous chimey character? i do not know.
:cry:

if you're asking about the roc pro, i have no idea...if you're asking about the musicmans, i haven't heard them in a long time, but remember them sounding very fender-ish.

• Members

yeah, the roc pro has gained my interest just b/c of its reputation for beautiful clean tones.

i like the twin a lot, and i'll be attempting to use it more at lower volumes to see if it will do the trick- but i almost prefer something with more character- like a Vox...

i figure that if i'm going to settle on one amp i should really sink some $ into THE keeper. i could attempt to get it blackface-modded, but if that didn't do it'd just be more cash down the drain.

mumford, i really don't know anything about Top Hat- what model should i investigate? would it suit my price range?

and thanks for your input robopimp.
i aspire to play in a {censored}e cover band myself someday.:freak:

• Members

I know what you mean about the twin, it's a great amp, w/ plenty of volume, but it basically just gives you what you put into it. Which is what I really like about it. You may want to check into a Super Reverb, it has less wattage than a twin, and a tube rectifier, so it will have a little more "character." I also second the MusicMan amps. I have a 210 w/ a solid state preamp, and tube inverter and I think it sounds awesome. Another thing to try, is maybe swapping out the speakers and/or tubes in your twin to get some different flavors. I have not done this yet, so I don't have any recommendations, but it may be something to try out.

• Members

From everything that you describe, I would lean towards mumford's Top Hat suggestion. But you really need to grab a Tele and play through it. I wasn't even looking for a Mesa when I played mine and fell in love with it's tone. It had the sound I was looking for in MY head. You have a sound in mind in YOUR head and when you hear it you will know.

• Members

thats why i'm going nuts, b/c i can't really TRY many amps-
maybe i should just sell 1 amp or both, and travel to Va Beach.
i hear Alpha music is pretty gnar -

maybe beezdeez can tell me whats good @ the beach... or D.C.
-----------
whats the scoop w/ Top Hat ?

i just checked their site...those prices are insane...:cry:

• Members

i've played through Devilles- not too fond.

i think they break up too early...

i wonder what i could do to my Twin to improve it...
:confused:

What speakers do you have in it now? Send an e-mail to Weber, and tell em what you're looking to do, and they'll probably give you some good recommendations. Different speakers will make a huge difference.

• Members

Preservation, you are really looking for an Allen modded bassman head. I took my 69' head to a gig and let the other guitar player in my band run it into his 76' Twin's speakers. It blew his Twin away. The AA-864 circuitry is a very sweet clean tone. The bass side has the Tweed Bassman/Plexi Marshall circuit. It is crunch heaven. I also let him use my COT 50 and he covered alot of crunch territory. You could get the bassman head and a small 2x10 open back cab and have a really kick ass punchy tone.I've run my bassman head through my Vibroluxes 2-10" and it sounds great. If your really considering getting a bassman head, I have access to a 67' Blackface head that I can have modded for your for $675 plus shipping. My amp guy has several bassman heads that he's working on. He knows how to do the Allen mod.

100_0127.jpg

• Members

skip, you've been PM'd about the Bassman mod...
---
my Twin has Carvin british series speakers in it, if that helps to give anyone an idea of what i'm working with. it sounds great, but it really does just spit out EXACTLY what you put it, and i'm looking for something w/ some more character. its a shame too, b/c i like how much power the Twin has.

that said, my Sovtek & 4x12" sounds much... BIGGER than just my Twin-

Archived