Decent and moderately priced reverb for a guy without an effects loop. . .

DylanWilde

• Members

Originally posted by TrashFace

wtf is with the noise bull {censored}. if you are a bedroom player ok. but if you gig no one hears the damn noise. lots of delays have noise when engaged without playing.

Ummm, well......... yeah. The noise comes and goes. When its there, and its unpredictable, it can be 3/4 as loud as my guitar when Im playing it. Not only that but it is a high pitched zipper noise that will have the audience running.

• Members

I've just posted a post bout the reverb on my new laney being {censored} (Please have a look). Otherwise I've had a few reverb pedals. The Holy Grail is a nice sound but control wise is very lame. With the effect past 12 o'clock is basically cuts your original signal and puts out reverb only. Below 12, its mainly just your guitar sound. So its not very flexible. And it buzzes depending on where your adaptor is plugged in compared to your other pedal adaptors. Oh and they tend to break down. Canadian band OX, who my band has played with recently, had one which died in the middle of a show aparently. He then got a Digiverb which sounded pretty nice on its 'hall' setting.

I've tried the Verbzilla but in my opinion its horrible. Very very digital sounding. The spring sound on it is RIDICULOUS! Stupid sounding I mean. I wouldn't bother, unless you want people laughing at you.

I've had a Boss RV-3 for a long time, which is reliable. The plate reverb is very nice, with good attack and decay. There's a lot of options in terms of controls. However it does sound quite digital depending on the setting.

I recently got the Marshall Reflector, purely for its 'spring' sound. The other sounds are rubbish. And the spring sound isn't as springy as the digiverb or verbzilla or holy grail, but it is nice and warm, and doesn;t sound too digital or wierd. I really like it compared to the Boss.

The best spring reverb pedal I've used is the Danelectro Spring King. Pretty chunky unit. All the features I'm sure you've researched already. The sound is probably the best spring sound out of all of them. It does have some springs in it but they;re very short and some debate whether or not the actual springs are actually contributing to the reverb or just the 'kickpad' effect.

I would try the Marshall for its mellow unobtrusive spring sound, or the Spring King for its great real spring sound, or the Boss if you want HUGE reverbs...

By the way, I've used all these pedals in my signal before the amp, rather than through an effects loop. I love the way reverb before gain {censored}s up the sound a bit. The best for not muddying up your sound if its before your amp is probably the Marshall on its spring sound. I haven;t found any of them particularly noisy - except for the Holy Grail.

Hope this helps a bit. Sorry for waffling on...
Jon

• Members

I have a Boss RV3 at the end of my chain, and I've never been happy with the reverb sound -- just too sterile. I ran across a schematic for a stage center reverb on

www.generalguitargadgets.com
I'm not quite done, but the fact that it uses a real spring gives me hope. It's certainly a cheaper alternative for reverb, so either way, I'm not out by much.

c

Archived