Decent and moderately priced reverb for a guy without an effects loop. . .

DylanWilde

• Members

The simpler the better. I want something to put on top of my amp so that I can have a subtle reverb effect on some songs, and adjust it either between songs or during songs.

My only main amp is a Traynor Bass Mate EL84 combo from the 70s, and there is no effects loop. I want something simple, natural sounding, and usable without a ton of noise in front of the amp.

Is the Digitech Digiverb alright? Any more than 100 might be a bit much (I am a cheapo effects guy. . .).

Thanks.

• Members

I don't really want to hijack, but I have a similar question...

What is a good pedal for really wet reverb, in the vein of Interpol stuff... "Stella was a Diver"...? I bought a used Digiverb but I never actually got to hear it because it was defective and I had to return it and they didn't have a replacement. :mad:

• Members

I am not exactly an obsessive tone guy, so a little noise is fine. Just not so much that it is really interfering.

The Holy Grail looks just like what I want, but I think the noise with it, especially in front of the amp is supposed to be too significant.

Does the Boss do a better job than the Digitech?

OH, and another final question- Reverb into delay or delay into reverb?

• Members

Originally posted by ZepFuzz05

I am not exactly an obsessive tone guy, so a little noise is fine. Just not so much that it is really interfering.

The Holy Grail looks just like what I want, but I think the noise with it, especially in front of the amp is supposed to be too significant.

Does the Boss do a better job than the Digitech?

OH, and another final question- Reverb into delay or delay into reverb?

delay into reverb.

• Members

digiverb is nice. holy grail is suppossed to be nice as well. heard only good things about the verbzilla, too. check them all out. i got the digiverb used for 70 and the spring setting works fine for me. has a blend control from dry to completely wet. nice plinky spring sound that to me sounds very authentic. does the reverb sounds just like my twin reverb's? no but it still sounds good.

Tim

• Members

I went through this a few months ago. I bought a Holy Grail but it was waaaaaaaay noisy, and didnt work with the pedal power 2. Verbzilla gets lots of kudos here, but its faaaar too expensive. So I got a Digitech Digiverb and I like it, took some tweaking like all pedals, now I enjoy it.

• Members

You might try looking for a used Alesis Microverb, if you're going to leave it on all the time and put it on top of the amp. Lots of different 'verbs, not too noisy, crazy low price. It runs stereo, too, if you're into that.

• Members

I have a digiverb. The spring setting is OK, but I prefer the plate setting myself. No, it's not perfect, but I dig the variety, and in the context of a band it's fine. I keep the reverb on my amp pretty low (Peavey Delta Blues) and use the digiverb for when I want a wetter signal - solos, spacey rhythm parts, whatever. Does the job with no complaints.

• Members

Originally posted by TrashFace

I used a holy grail in front even with gain.

That's actually how I was going to use the pedal. In front as the last effect into a cranked, distorted tube amp. What does it sound like? Do you still get a nice clear effect? Most, importantly, how is the noise?

Reverb into delay or delay into reverb?

Most people run delay -> reverb. Nothing says you can't do it the other way around if you prefer, but there's two things to be aware of that normally make people choose delay -> verb. First of all, in nature, delay comes before reverberation. In a room, a predelay occurs before the onset of reverberation. Since sound travels at about 1 foot / ms, if you're 25 feet from the wall, it's going to take 50ms before the sound travels to the wall, bounces off, and then back to you. As it continues to bounce around via multiple paths, reverb starts to set in. The other issue is that reverb -> delay offers a less defined delay sound... essentally you're washing it out with the verb and then trying to echo a diffused signal. That can be cool on some things, but usually people prefer it the other way around. Try both and see what YOU prefer - it's not going to "hurt" anything either way. :)

• Members

That looks a bit expensive and more than I want to transport. A pedal should be fine.

But again, I would love for the Holy Grail to be an option. How bad is the noise if I use it in front of the amp? If the noise were not an issue this would be the one to get. . .

Archived