just got a triangle big muff...

Pothole

• Members

I just scored a triangle big muff here locally from a trade deal which I had $80 invested...needless to say I'm pretty happy, especially since it completes my big muff collection. The only BM I don't have is the NYC reissue now. Anyway, the triangle BM is in good shape except for the fact it doesn't have a footswitch, jacks, or the original knobs. No biggie, but if anyone has a triangle version, i could really use a high-res photo of the inside so I can wire this thing up correctly. I've found a couple pics on the web, but if I could get someone to snap some really good close-ups, that would be really really cool. Thanks alot....

Kyle

khemly@yahoo.com

• Members
Originally posted by PFDarkside

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see pics of the collection. (Are you also collecting modern clones?)

edit:I got the triangle back all wired up and it sounds great...not as much distortion as the ram, but it has more sustain.
Here's a pic, obviously the triangle is missing because it's at my guitar/effect repair guy's shop getting wired up. The Marveltone is a repackaged Ram's Head made for Targ & Dinner..it has alot more midrange emphasis than the Rams Head.

I'm not going for the modern clones yet, I'll probably try to pick up some of the repackaged BM's first, like the Foxey Lady and others to complement the Marveltone first. bmps.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Bruno

Nice collection.

I have a Lyle version of the Big Muff ( will take pictures later ) That little pedal screams!!!

A Lyle eh? right on, I'm interested in seeing that. I guess if one was to get technical, I would need the transistor version of the original NYC version since my NYC is the opamp model.

Am I missing any true Big Muff's? I guess there is that black russian version with the big fat switch, and the green version with the skinny letters? What about the Red Army Overdrive, would that really be considered a true Big Muff, or is it a derivative?

• Members

Originally posted by jove

I've got the Russian blue/silver Muff too.

Of the 5 Muff's I own, it's my favorite.

Don't forget to post about the Triangle Muff when you get it!

That blue/silver, or Civil War version is in the top 3, that thing sounds really good..I was surprised.

• Members

Originally posted by Pothole

That blue/silver, or Civil War version is in the top 3, that thing sounds really good..I was surprised.

Heh, that begs the question of what units make up the other places in your the top 3?

I just picked up an IC Muff and have been pretty happy with it. Very thick and smooth. I've ordered some parts to TB it and replace the tone bypass switch (can't flick back on forth without it cutting out). Makes a nice companion to a tonebender, which is crunchy and emphasises the high end.

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

Heh, that begs the question of what units make up the other places in your the top 3?

I just picked up an IC Muff and have been pretty happy with it. Very thick and smooth. I've ordered some parts to TB it and replace the tone bypass switch (can't flick back on forth without it cutting out). Makes a nice companion to a tonebender, which is crunchy and emphasises the high end.

I don't have the triangle muff wired up yet, so it's a sleeping giant currently, but that IC muff has the top spot locked up right now for live playing, with the Ram in 2nd and the civil war in a close 3rd. Now, for bedroom playing, the Ram is the clear winner, civil war in 2nd, and the IC a close 3rd. It's really interesting how the Ram disappears in my loud 2 guitar, loud bass and drums indie rock band. Another point, the IC muff was in almost last place before I put it on a true bypass loop..that thing is like having an overdrive on all the time when it's off, so when you kick it on, it just disappears, but after true bypassing it (via a separate loop switch), it really came alive. I run mine with the tone switch out of the circuit.

• Members
Originally posted by Bruno

Here is my input to rare muff and really rare muff

I have never seen another Lyle muff before and the 3 knob Foxey Lady is really rare
:D

man, those are killer Bruno. very cool. I need those.

• Members

Another point, the IC muff was in almost last place before I put it on a true bypass loop..that thing is like having an overdrive on all the time when it's off, so when you kick it on, it just disappears, but after true bypassing it (via a separate loop switch), it really came alive. I run mine with the tone switch out of the circuit.

Do you mean effect bleed through during bypass? Mine was doing that initially (hence why I ordered the TB switch) but has seemed to stop now I've put my compressor before it. :confused:

• Members

man, those are killer Bruno. very cool. I need those.

Thanks

Both pedals sound great. I used to have a rams head muff and a green muff but those we sold/traded moons ago ( I should have kept them )

The last 3 knob Foxey Lady that I had seen on ebay went for almost $500+ and it was in terrible shape :eek:

• Members
Originally posted by Seth Carmody

Do you mean effect bleed through during bypass? Mine was doing that initially (hence why I ordered the TB switch) but has seemed to stop now I've put my compressor before it.
:confused:

yes, exactly. I have the IC muff on a single true bypass loop switch, and when the muff is off, i can engage the muff loop and it's like turning on a, hmmm....like a fulltone fat boost. pretty weird, but I've heard others talk about the same thing with the IC muff.

Not sure on the compressor-muff, maybe it's just squashing the signal so it's not as apparent. I'll say one thing though, getting that TB pedal really was 'ear opening' regarding what pedals actually do to your tone when they are off because you can switch back and forth with them quickly.

• Members

yes, exactly. I have the IC muff on a single true bypass loop switch, and when the muff is off, i can engage the muff loop and it's like turning on a, hmmm....like a fulltone fat boost. pretty weird, but I've heard others talk about the same thing with the IC muff.

+1, my IC muff does exactly the same.

• Members

Originally posted by jove

This one just sold for pretty cheap then, no?

that one sold for about $100 below the "average" price for a triangle big muff. someone got a good deal on that one, especially considering the condition. They are typically getting around $400 give or take.

Archived