Recommend me some noisy music (noise, noise rock)

DJLantz444

• Members

So recommend me things like this:

Noisy Rock (Meaning Guitars with loads of fuzz, use of feedback, lots of energy): Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth

Noise Rock: Lightning Bolt

Noise: Black Dice

THe examples are simply examples, I'll give anything a listen. I have odd taste in music, I am listening most right now to jazz and stuff like this.

• Members

Check out bands like The Velvet Underground, Spacemen 3, Spritualized, Galaxie 500, Luna (especially the album Pup Tent), The Feelies, The Lovetones, Drop City, Yo La Tengo, Jesus and Mary Chain, Brian Jonestown Massacre.....

I'm not sure if that's the kind of thing you're looking for but they're some of my favourite bands.

Alos check out this band called Straight to Video, I'm friends with these guys, they're great.

• Members

This {censored} is always way better live:

Coughs (Chicago)

Dynasty (Providence RI)

I saw the same bands play in portland a few days before this tour. You want the hot teenage tribal punk fire, here it is.

Some other bands:

Mikelas Fiend: Very lightening bolt influenced duo in seattle. I believe they just graduated from high school. You can find 7"'s and tapes and stuff around.

Caroliner: Messed up distorted banjo music with nurse with wound influences but a MUCH more manic energy. The singer is just creepy. You can only buy their music on lp and it's all about the 1880's. Search for them on youtube to find video of their intensely surreallive performances

Smegma: Link Wrey riffs wrapped in thick 60's tape manipulation meets free jazz. Been going since 1975 and they are better today then they have ever been. Utterly inspiring.

more later

• Members

Liars "They were wrong so we drowned" listen to "There's Always Room on the Broom", that is some f**ked up guitar.

Mercury Rev, first two albums (Yerself is Steam, Boces) are quite noisy. Then they did a major change in their sound.

• Members

Here's my reccomendations:

Excepter: minimalist noise guitar "rock" I say, start with KA, but really, any of their stuff is the same deal - very minimalist, hardly any melody, super ambient, hella creepy.

Goon Moon: Jeordie White (better known as Twiggy Ramirez, now playing bass with Nine Inch Nails), Zach Hill (Hella) and Chris Goss making some of the creepiest, noisiest rock ever.

for PURE noise, I'd say try Merzbow. He's got at least 1000 albums, so pick any one, they're all good. For more "accessable" work of his, I'd say to start at Merzbuddha and just kinda go from there.

• Members

BOREDOMS

LAMBSBREAD

T.I.T.S.

NATE DENVER'S NECK

SCARCITY OF TANKS

CHERRY BLOSSOMS

SAPAT

NOEL VON HARMONSON

SMEGMA

ZIP CODE RAPISTS

FLYING LUTTENBACHERS

TOTAL SHUTDOWN

BORBETOMAGUS

MURDER MURDER

MAYOR DALEY

SLUMS

TIMES NEW VIKING

MAGIK MARKERS

DEATH SENTENCE: PANDA!

STEVE MACKAY & RADON ENSEMBLE

YELLOW SWANS

RUSTED SHUT

OXBOW

NMPERIGN

BLACK EYES

WARHAMMER 48K

BLAME GAME

BURNING STAR CORE

TAIWAN DETH

XBXRX

• Members

Originally posted by Dharmabum

This {censored} is always way better live:

Coughs (Chicago)

Dynasty (Providence RI)

I saw the same bands play in portland a few days before this tour. You want the hot teenage tribal punk fire, here it is.

Some other bands:

Mikelas Fiend: Very lightening bolt influenced duo in seattle. I believe they just graduated from high school. You can find 7"'s and tapes and stuff around.

Caroliner: Messed up distorted banjo music with nurse with wound influences but a MUCH more manic energy. The singer is just creepy. You can only buy their music on lp and it's all about the 1880's. Search for them on youtube to find video of their intensely surreallive performances

Smegma: Link Wrey riffs wrapped in thick 60's tape manipulation meets free jazz. Been going since 1975 and they are better today then they have ever been. Utterly inspiring.

more later

i played with the coughs a few months ago and they are the smelliest {censored}ing band on the planet (literally!!!!) everyone left before their set was over because the whole venue smelled like a giant {censored}ing armpit. the air was thick enough to spread on toast. i made sure my mouth didn't touch the house mic once. sure wish i woulda had a {censored}in alcohol pad.

in other news, the other band that played that night, the white mice, were pretty {censored}in noisy and cool....

Archived