Help me find an amp with mojo

• Members

I have been getting more and more into stomp boxes and gear with a bit more vibe and feel i need an amp to suit.

I'm looking for either a combo or head (to run into a 2x12 with Greenbacks of V30's. I have both).

It does not need to be that versatile, just have a good cleanish sound that can go into a bit of overdrive. Then i'll let the pedals do the rest so it needs to like stompers.

Things like the Peavey C30, the LAney VC50, old Fenders, Sound City's etc interest me.

My budget is quite low so nothing boutique. Preferrably something that comes up second hand in the uk often.

• Members
Originally posted by joncyberboy

old Fenders, Sound City's etc interest me.

So they should ... I have the two amps which you just described actually - the 72 Fender Bandmaster Reverb I have has HUGE cleans but will push into gorgeous dirt when wound up - it's lush! The power tranny on the Bandmaster is smaller than the Bassman but I like the punch of the Clean on the Bandmaster more than the Bassman.

The Sound City L120 MKIV is a like Hiwatt on steroids for cleans ( SirHC may disagree a little with me here ) but I have had mine fitted with a master vol circuit based an an 800 Marshall so I can get both sounds from it.

I would look at old WEM, H/H and Sound City as well as Burman and Selmer Treble & Bass if you can find them. I'll most likely be buying a cheap HH VS Musician 100 head locally quite soon - killer amp!

Here's my Bandmaster and the Sound City ...

TIKISOUNDCITY1.jpg

BandmasterRE-5.jpg

• Members

i have a peavey classic 30 as main amp, and a laney lc-15r.
both are great amps, and both i have compared with the fender versions (hotrod dlx, and blues junior) i like both more than the fenders and both are cheaper than them.

if the lc-15r is to small you could also have a look at the lc30 or vc30.
laneys are wuite a good deal if you want to buy a new amp in the u.k.

if you buy used, you could get a bood deal on old fenders, like the others recommend. there are so much options.
how much watts/headroom do you need? for which purpose do you need the amp? homewanking? band practice? stadium gigs?

• Members

Tiki, those amps have plenty of mojo! There's a Sound City on ebay that looks great.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SOUND-CITY-L120-MARK-1V-AMP-HEAD-COLLECTION-ONLY_W0QQitemZ7422255579QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As for useage. Well it will be for gigging and recording, Mostly live though. Doesn't need to be massively powerful, we're a rock band, but far from the loudest in the world. We like to keep the stage volume down and let the PA do a lot of the work.

I could stretch to

• Members
Originally posted by joncyberboy

Tiki, those amps have plenty of mojo! There's a Sound City on ebay that looks great.

As for useage. Well it will be for gigging and recording, Mostly live though. Doesn't need to be massively powerful, we're a rock band, but far from the loudest in the world. We like to keep the stage volume down and let the PA do a lot of the work.

I could stretch to

• Members

Originally posted by alteredsounds

Matamp's have more mojo than the queen has Corgi's. Plus you can spend the day in the factory with the nicest guy in the world, watching him build your amp.

Yep I'd agree with that!!

They really are unique in tone and feel.

I love em!!

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Myself and many others would have to respecfully disagree with that sentiment.

imagine the mojoest amp you can. now imagine some dude playing a shiny black jackson through it.

net mojo = 0, yes?

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

imagine the mojoest amp you can. now imagine some dude playing a shiny black jackson through it.

net mojo = 0, yes?

No ... the amp still has mojo but the guitarist and the guitar don't.

Net mojo = 100% Amp

0% Guitar and Guitarist

Archived