What is your favorite Flanger pedal?

• Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Your late ... but most welcome.
:thu:

It's got the fattest chorus and flanging tones I've ever heard -- and I've heard the MXR, Ibz: FL9, DFL, FLL, & Swell Flanger, Boss HF2, TC Electronic, DOD 640, Korg Flanger. They're all cool mind you, they all do something particularly well or even avg., but none go so deep and swooshy and have such control and depth of parameter as the ADA.
Tho' the MXR is probably the easiest to get the classic tones out of, but something about the sweep of the ADA that just puts it over the top.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by jove

It's got the fattest chorus and flanging tones I've ever heard -- and I've heard the MXR, Ibz: FL9, DFL, FLL, & Swell Flanger, Boss HF2, TC Electronic, DOD 640, Korg Flanger. They're all cool mind you, they all do something particularly well or even avg., but none go so deep and swooshy and have such control and depth of parameter as the ADA.

Tho' the MXR is probably the easiest to get the classic tones out of, but something about the sweep of the ADA that just puts it over the top.

Agreed ... people who don't own or who have never heard the A/DA don't get how superb the Flanging is off it ... I've got one and the only other Flanger that comes close in my collection is my Yamaha FL-01 ... but the Yamaha actually does self oscillating freakiness and outer space sounds that the A/DA doesn't ... the combination of the two has my flanging covered though I really want to add the MXR to my collection and that will complete me. :cool:

• Members

I think the Korg is the same circuit as the Yamaha you mention, or if not that then built by the same co.
Kind of like the way Maxon made pedals for themselves and Ibanez.
In any case, the Korg does the self-osc. thing too and is pretty cool as far ad I can tell.
Yes, the
MXR is a good one ot check out and even keep if you like. It made Eddie pretty happy!

• Members

I'm a flange snob, too. Just not experienced. I've had numerous flangers. I hated the Line 6 Liquiflange because it cuts your gain in half when you turn it on (although all of the tweaks and settings made me drool an entire ocean... sound quality was outstanding, but I can't use it because of the gain problem!). I've had the old Boss Flanger, and that thing was pretty bad. I'm a tweak, nut, though. I want knobs and switches. I want to use a different setting in every song I play.

Why can't I find quality like this mxr%20flanger.JPG

With out of this world tweaks like this
ToneCore-Liqua-Flange-lg.jpg

• Members

I have a particular fetish with flangers. I say the ADA is the best so far. I have the Lovetone Flange With No Name and the EH Hoax in my lineup at the moment. But my ideal flanger would be an ADA Flanger in stereo that can TZF, and do the contrary motion flange effects of the Alesis Phlng and Roland SBF-325 half-rack.

Flanger are suppose to have lots of knobs and lots of foot switches (I hate toggles!)

• Members

I have the Ibanez Swell Flanger from the 80's and that is really good and I believe it self oscillates too. I also have an Arion Flanger from the 80's coming soon.

I'm really interested in the Line 6 Liquaflange. Any reviews?

Tiki,

There are several Yamaha flangers I've seen on ebay and the internet. Are they all based on the same circutry?

• Members
Originally posted by fenderguitar

Tiki,

There are several Yamaha flangers I've seen on ebay and the internet. Are they all based on the same circutry?

It depends on the model ... if you show me specific pics of the one's your seeing I can sort it out for you ... basically the one that self Oscillates is the Yamaha FL-01 --- this is the greatest small pedal Flanger nobody ever heard of --- the Korg of the same era is the same circuit. I've long been the Yamaha champion hereabouts.

You can see my FL-01 and other Yamaha goodness at the bottom of my pedal pic.

TikipedalsNEW.jpg

• Members
TIKI

What's the Tone Booster like?
Looks interesting.

I remember now (based on your photo) what gave away the Korg/Yam connection. It's the 1/4" direct out on top of both series.

For all you A/DA virgins, it also has an excellent noise gate and expression pedal input.
That makes your Swell Flanger not so swell now does it :evil: !?!

• Members

Originally posted by fenderguitar

Tiki,

One of the other Yamaha Flangers I've seen looks like the two Yamaha chorus pedals near the top of your pedals. Its in the same type of pedal housing.

Ok ... there are two series ( three actually ) of the Yamaha pedals from the 80's that are different. The earliest housings and circuits are the ones you see at the bottom of my picture ... these are the CH-01 - FL-01 and TB-01 - I also have the OC-01 but it's not in the shot. The housings are wedge shaped metal and bricks basically - the switch is solid and the travel on the tone controls is really heavy and have a smooth hydraulic feel to them - definately not toy like - more like over engineered! These pedals are for me the GREATEST of the Yamaha series.

Next you have the 10 series which are the second round of units with a new design on the cases and layout. The two from that series you can see as the blue marked CH10-MII's --- I sold one of them to Gorillalover a long time ago who I believe is selling it now? Then after this you had another series which I have never bought which is plastic casings and I believe the circuit started to change by the 3rd series. The Second series is good but not as thick and far out as the 1st series. For instance the CH-01 is allot more soupy and detuned than the CH10-MII from the second series ... it's still a beautiful analogue Chorus but it just doesn't get as far out as the Ch-01.

• Members

TIKI

What's the Tone Booster like?

Looks interesting.

It's awesome! Always on my board and a total mystery gem ... it's basically a {censored}ing loud boost but also can crank into a distorted fuzz ... I'm not lying when I say it's the loudest output boost pedal I have ever heard - stupid loud ... when you add the gain it can get cranky and then the fuzz kicks in. Most people have never heard of it and I've only known one other guy online who has one and uses one on his board like me .... we spent allot of time drooling on about them.

• Members

thx!

Are you a fan of The Church?
I know they're touring Oz now and are coming to the US soon.
I was a huge fan but have the hardest time getting into them anymore.
I still think Kilbey's a poet and unique voice, but the records have sounded awfully flat to me since they started recording themselves.

please excuse the automatic Oz >> Church fan assumption!

• Members

:Originally posted by jove

thx!

Are you a fan of The Church?

I know they're touring Oz now and are coming to the US soon.

I was a huge fan but have the hardest time getting into them anymore.

I still think Kilbey's a poet and unique voice, but the records have sounded awfully flat to me since they started recording themselves.

please excuse the automatic Oz >> Church fan assumption!

Church? Classic Sydney band actually - I used to live round the corner from Steve in Balmain. My favourite album is Remote Luxury ... well it's an EP and Persia the other EP.

Huge influence on me growing up and have not really followed them since Priest = Aura .... a friend of mine who is a recording engineer I have worked with in the commercial industry for years recorded their first two albums as producer and engineer ... I'm doing some recording for my album with him actually - you'll find his name on the albums credited as John Bee.

• Members

DITTO on all acc'ts!
You're my new guru.
My last album that I cared about was Priest=Aura too.
I have the two Persia/Remote Luxury EP's (Ozzie pressings), tho' I had the US album first. Remote Luxury is prob. my fave too.
Oh yeah, and I snagged an original Sing-Songs in an olde-time record store once, major score.
I know who John Bee is as well, being a mega-fan in the 80's. Blurred Crusade is pretty badass too, at least certain songs on it. The tones on that record are so great, I can't imagine how they put out such small sounding records in the face of that big sound. Even the mellow tracks that aren't bombastic ("To Be in Your Eyes") have such warmth and tone, so it's not just 80's OTT production I'm talking here.
Then there's Heyday and Starfish ... yikes!

Oh well.

Let em know when your record's done, I'd love to hear it or buy it sometime.
Oh, you have a MySpace page ... I'll see you there.

• Members

DITTO on all acc'ts!

You're my new guru.

My last album that I cared about was Priest=Aura too.

I have the two Persia/Remote Luxury EP's (Ozzie pressings), tho' I had the US album first. Remote Luxury is prob. my fave too.

Oh yeah, and I snagged an original Sing-Songs in an olde-time record store once, major score.

I know who John Bee is as well, being a mega-fan in the 80's. Blurred Crusade is pretty badass too, at least certain songs on it. The tones on that record are so great, I can't imagine how they put out such small sounding records in the face of that big sound. Even the mellow tracks that aren't bombastic ("To Be in Your Eyes") have such warmth and tone, so it's not just 80's OTT production I'm talking here.

Then there's Heyday and Starfish ... yikes!

Oh well.

Let em know when your record's done, I'd love to hear it or buy it sometime.

PM coming ...

Nice one!

Yeah to be fair though I love pretty much EVERYTHING they did up to Aura ... I actually LOVE Starfish as an album, there are magic songs on that and some fabulous production values but they sadly lost Richard Ploog who was a fantastic drummer. The thing with the Church is that as a live band they were much more of a rock band than they sound on record ... the records were very subdued versions of the band and never REALLY captured their power. Songs for me like Persia are classic moments ...Steve's bass line and the ebowing on that track are superlative! :cool:

You can check a couple of my home demo's on the myspace page in my sig - they will be re-recorded again with Bee for the album. I'm actually still looking for a drummer and a bass player for live shows - shame your not local.

• Members

The tunes sound great brother. Both hot numbers with lotsa' energy and crunch up the wazoo! Good tones and great 'tude.
Plus, Ian McCulloch digs you!

Yup, too bad I'm not local, I played bass in an original power trio for a few yrs. 1982 G&L SB-2 that someone gave me when they couldn't pay their studio tab!
Been to OZ three times for work trips. Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. Then some holiday time after on the Ocaen Rd. in the south and Noosa Head too. Learned how to surf. Great country, kinda' like the US was when I was a wee lad.

I'll be in touch.

HEY, how 'bout them FLANGERS?

Whose got a Tychobrahe Pedalflanger to brag about (not me!).

Tycobrahe_Pedalflanger_l.jpg

• Members

The tunes sound great brother. Both hot numbers with lotsa' energy and crunch up the wazoo! Good tones and great 'tude.

Plus,
Ian McCulloch digs you!

Yup, too bad I'm not local, I played bass in an original power trio for a few yrs. 1982 G&L SB-2 that someone gave me when they couldn't pay their studio tab!

Been to OZ three times for work trips. Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. Then some holiday time after on the Ocaen Rd. in the south and Noosa Head too. Learned how to surf. Great country, kinda' like the US was when I was a wee lad.

I'll be in touch.

HEY, how 'bout them FLANGERS?

Whose got a Tychobrahe Pedalflanger to brag about (not me!).

Tycobrahe_Pedalflanger_l.jpg

Thanks bro .... your kind words go a long way! :cool:

Well never say never - my girl and I are looking at a move overseas for music/career purposes so in this world of no borders we might just have something in the not too distant future to discuss if you were into it? Shoot me an e-mail if you want to chat further - psi_fan@yahoo.com

I've been looking at that parachute for a while but the clips never quite did it for me. You tried one in the flesh?

• Members

Are you thinking of the Tychobrahe Parachute Wah? I think the Chicago Iron guy is making a replica of that wah.

I've never heard it nor the "Pedalflanger."
The latter is verrrrry pricey.

The A/DA is just fine for me, plus I seldom use flanging anyway.
:rolleyes:

I'm gonna' email you, thanks.

• Members

Are you thinking of the Tychobrahe Parachute Wah? I think the Chicago Iron guy is making a replica of that wah.

I've never heard it nor the "Pedalflanger."

The latter is verrrrry pricey.

The A/DA is just fine for me, plus I seldom use flanging anyway.

:rolleyes:

I'm gonna' email you, thanks.

Yeah, the one above reminded me of the Chicago Parachute ... see ya on the e-mail.

Simon.

Archived