DOD FX53 Classic Tube ... Opinions?

ck3

• Members

I've been eyeing one of these for a while online and wondered if it would be worth pulling the trigger. How does it compare to the Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez Tubescreamer, and other cheap, but highly-revered ODs? Is its EQ contour similar to that of the FX52 Classic Fuzz?

• Members

I used to own one. The tone control is NOT the same as the Classic Fuzz. The pedal's tone is also not very similar to a tube screamer. It has more bass and much more gain. In fact, I would have wished for a lot more output and treble. I usually like a fairly dark tone but I almost had the tone control maxxed here.

The gain goes from almost zero but gritty and rumbly at minimum to an all out FUZZ maxxed out. Around 8-9 on the gain you can get an interesting lead style fuzz tone which I actually used for a while as such.

Again: it is NOT a tube screamer sound-a-like.

• Members

I think it's like the Boss DS-1...... No - not tonewise - what I mean is it's like "the" DOD pedal to own IMO - just like I think everyone owns or has owned a Boss DS-1 at some point in their lives. That's the Boss pedal to have one of...you know.....just in case kinda thing... There's just some staples out there that everyone should at least experience or own one of - and they're cheap.

I think the Classic Fuzz and the Classic Tube (no tube in there of course) Overdrives are pure DOD mojo. I like em and I probably always will for some obscure reason. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by 1DZReverendDavidLee

I think the Classic Fuzz and the Classic Tube (no tube in there of course) Overdrives are pure DOD mojo. I like em and I probably always will for some obscure reason.
:cool:

Now that the FX53 has received the rev's approval, I simply must have one. :thu::D

I'm still kicking myself in the arse for selling my FX52 a few months ago ... so I broke down and bought another one ... for $25 shipped. :):love:

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

...I'm still kicking myself in the arse for selling my FX52 a few months ago ... so I broke down and bought another one ... for $25 shipped.
:):love:

That' so {censored}ing accurate in more ways than you know - I have bought and sold this one 3 times and finally kept the 4th one. :freak:

But because they can be had so cheap and sold for what you got in them -what's the damage? :D

• Members

DOD envelope filters and the old distortions are great. I don't care any of their other pedals really but I will always have an envelope filter on my board. The old style Supra Distortion I am using now for light gain stuff then I kick on an MXR Blue Box (octave off) in front of it for really great tone. Probably my favorite DOD dirt box is the Overdrive Plus. It never gets talked about for some reason, but I love it.

• Members

really dod dirt =good? not for me, though i've never played the fx52 classic fuzz.

how ever i think that their analod time based pedals are good ( flangers, chorus delays) i used to have a fx65 stereo chorus, sold it cuase it was to subtle , i want another now cause all the other chorus i have played are too much there, the analog delay fx96 is really good, it not a clear dealy if that is what you want it is actualy quite lo-fi and i love it to bad it doesnt self oscillate.

• Members

Originally posted by 1DZReverendDavidLee

That' so {censored}ing accurate in more ways than you know - I have bought and sold this one 3 times and finally kept the 4th one.
:freak:

But because they can be had so cheap and sold for what you got in them -what's the damage?
:D

I may end up getting my next one rehousedand TB'ed. That way, it will be less likely that I will make the same mistake again. :thu:

Back when I had a Barge Concepts BB-1, I was amazed at how similar the FX52 sounded to "Fuzz A" at certain settings. :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by usa83strat

really dod dirt =good? not for me, though i've never played the fx52 classic fuzz.

... then you owe it to yourself to invest the fully-refundable ~$30 "deposit" to do so. :)

• Members

Originally posted by seifukusha

theres been one in a shop here forever. they want me to get it ("its old!"), oif course its like $50

the same shop sold me a vintage sd-9 for $20 and I sold it for like $100 so...

Which pedal? Either way, that seems like a gyp. :freak::mad:

Archived