Goo covering PCB's... Creamy Dreamer... what else?

Devi Ever

• Members

Two reasons to cover your PCB:

1. You have something unique, and don't want anyone to copy it. Which is silly, because if I really wanted to, it's not very difficult to get past all that goo, epoxy, etc.

2. You are making a copy of something else, and don't want anyone to know. Which is a good idea, because anybody who has the technology to remove the goo is smart enough to know there's nothing unique there, and people who don't know how to remove the goop are fooled into thinking there's some secret to the tone under all that goop...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Late reply, but I just thought of another explanation for reason 3. epoxy can also cause circuit sensitivity. If you epoxy a microphonic part to another part, they can actually feedback to each other, and cause all kinds of issues. Of course you'd have to have high gain devices, and very sensative components, but both are commom in pedals...

• Members

Originally posted by cusackmusic

Late reply, but I just thought of another explanation for reason 3. epoxy can also cause circuit sensitivity. If you epoxy a microphonic part to another part, they can actually feedback to each other, and cause all kinds of issues. Of course you'd have to have high gain devices, and very sensative components, but both are commom in pedals...

Jon, we both (as do others) know the real reason is #2. :D

Though, I don't know why people risk horsing with more chemicals than they need to in to production of anything. Sensitivity to stuff is a real possibility that I've seen with my industrial design pals. When we use gloves around here we use vinyl... Nobody wants a latex sensitivity for later down the road when they gotta bag it.

• Members

Is epoxy that hard to get around?

I ask becuase I'm trying to find someone to clone a bartolini tube-it for me. The electronics, I've heard, are completely encased.

Not that I'm looking to copy any designs for fun and profit, but to be completely honest.... I've been searching far and wide for a tube it for a few years now, and aside from the one my friend has, I've only seen one online and it had already sold by the time I found it.

I'd really like to be able to play with that tone while my search continues for the real thing.

I posted a thread about this a few weeks ago seeing if any cloners out there could do a tube-it. The epoxy seemed to be the end of the thread. Could it be possible to get around the epoxy for cloning?

-doc

Archived