does this deal seem legit?

fishfartz

• Members

its nothing like the nigeria scam or anything like that, but it seems fishy

i have my Pod/Long Floorboard listed in the gear classifieds here at HC and i got a reply from a fellow who had poor english but said he was in the UK and wanted to know the condition and price of the stuff.............(check sig by the way:p )

so i replied and told him how it is, and also told him im sorry that i did not mention this yet in my post but shipping outside the USA would be covered by the buyer.

i then got this reply:

am really interested in it ok and i will like to read from you ok

i dont want to neglect someone simply because of poor english (i dont know how to speak UK either :) ) but would like to avoid a big hassle if its a scam.

how long would a money transfer from UK to US take> i guess i could set it up and wait until his money clears before sending it.

anyway - what does it sound like to you guys? his first email to me was written in a similar fashion but just asked for condition and price

• Members
Originally posted by fishfartz

its nothing like the nigeria scam or anything like that, but it seems fishy

i have my Pod/Long Floorboard listed in the gear classifieds here at HC and i got a reply from a fellow who had poor english but said he was in the UK and wanted to know the condition and price of the stuff.............(check sig by the way:p )

so i replied and told him how it is, and also told him im sorry that i did not mention this yet in my post but shipping outside the USA would be covered by the buyer.

i then got this reply:

am really interested in it ok and i will like to read from you ok

i dont want to neglect someone simply because of poor english (i dont know how to speak UK either
:)
) but would like to avoid a big hassle if its a scam.

how long would a money transfer from UK to US take> i guess i could set it up and wait until his money clears before sending it.

anyway - what does it sound like to you guys? his first email to me was written in a similar fashion but just asked for condition and price

Is it a yahoo uk account?
This seems to be the "new" place for these lovely scams.
RUN AWAY!
It is a variation on the Nigerian theme.....Someone has tried this on twice with me.
The pidgeon English is usually a giveaway!
RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!
:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by adolf

Is it a yahoo uk account?

This seems to be the "new" place for these lovely scams.

RUN AWAY!

It is a variation on the Nigerian theme.....Someone has tried this on twice with me.

The pidgeon English is usually a giveaway!

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

i do appreciate your advice - ive traded here at HC with quite a few folks (especially here in FX) but never shipped anything outside USA and its kind of thought provoking since its not a mamber in here

• Members
Originally posted by fishfartz

i do appreciate your advice - ive traded here at HC with quite a few folks (especially here in FX) but never shipped anything outside USA and its kind of thought provoking since its not a mamber in here

Just my opinion BUT if it is a yahoo.co.uk account....
DON'T DO IT!
I smell a scam a brewing!

• Members

Hey, my Yahoo account is a .co.uk one :D

Hmm, from your post I don't see any of the sure signs of scams (eg I want to use an Escrow service to pay; I want to send a cheque/MO). Up to you but I'd give him the chance to pay, either by Paypal or a Western Union Direct Wire service where you get the cash in hand straight away. Never ever send your item until you have confirmed the payment is lefitimate. The UK is a former colonial power so has a lot of immigrants from former African/Asian colonies whose English may not be so good.

• Members
Originally posted by Seth Carmody

Hey, my Yahoo account is a .co.uk one
:D

Hmm, from your post I don't see any of the sure signs of scams (eg I want to use an Escrow service to pay; I want to send a cheque/MO). Up to you but I'd give him the chance to pay, either by Paypal or a Western Union Direct Wire service where you get the cash in hand straight away. Never ever send your item until you have confirmed the payment is lefitimate. The UK is a former colonial power so has a lot of immigrants from former African/Asian colonies whose English may not be so good.

Ii hear you....
I have had personal experience with this BUT, could be wrong.
My gut tells me it is a con....The dodgy English is always suss UNLESS it is a Gooner!
:D :D

Archived