I am so F'n sick of the bar scene (gig's that is)...

wacopacco

• Members

1st): we've been together for 2 years, have played hundreds of shows, and have never once been told were {censored}. I guess it's all opinion but we work very hard at our music and with each other, so the possibility that were a {censored}ty band is NOT there. I'm not saying were great, but were easily above anything in our local area.

2) A Bar wont hire a band to play all original music. At least in the GF/Queensbury region. Were branching to the Saratoga and 'hopefully soon' the Albany area, where they are more accepting for original acts.

but to go back to my original post, i'm {censored}ing sick of bars, being in a bar band, playing covers. Thats not what we are. Thats not what we want to do. But we do it because it's there and available to us.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Fourth Floor

Waco, I did happen to think that 300 was for an original gig. 300 ain't so much for a cover show. Your soul is worth more than that. But again, 100 of that should go to the soundguy.

If you want to continue covers, get paid 1000 and give the soundguy 200.

no bar around here will pay more than 400 for a band. {censored}in sad

• Members

Yup, sad. A {censored}ing DJ could pull that or more at any half decent pub.

I didn't say you were {censored}. Just try to make sure you are genuinely good and not jrak "my mum says I'm special" good.

If you're not making money on playing covers and it's soul-destroying, then quit it. Concentrate on really making music and getting the hell out of dodge and get into those other towns. No point wasting time and energy on covers when it's not what you want to do. It's fine when you're old and you've given away hope and playing in a pub will juice you up, but for now, don't waste your efforts.

If you were pulling 1500 a night or something, then fine, you have an income stream from covers but it's not worth it for 300.

• Members

Ha! No worries. I'll be there. It's along way from Australia.

You're obviously past getting a lot more practice playing live by doing the covers thing. So IMO, it's a waste when you could be doing a loss-making original gig somewhere and having your heart broken and life put in wrenching perspective for ya :mad::D

Anyway, give the band a chance and cut the umbilical cord that is only drip feeding you anyway.

• Members

Waco, I did happen to think that 300 was for an original gig. 300 ain't so much for a cover show. Your soul is worth more than that. But again, 100 of that should go to the soundguy.

If you want to continue covers, get paid 1000 and give the soundguy 200.

When I'm doing a covers show in Sydney just as a backing vocalist I get $250 just for me per night. My soul isn't worth less than that and they can be sure I bust my balls every show too.

• Members

Thanks mate. yeah, I am a bit bloody intellectual about the whole thing. :o

Like any sort of advice, it's also easier to give to someone else than it is to take your own advice.

What I'm coming to realise about life in general (and my philosophy is changing) is that I actually succeed a whole lot more when I just don't try. When I try, do my best, craft what I'm doing or care, I am less likely to succeed than if I don't care, relax and just let it happen. If you don't care so much if you fail then it's not big deal either. It's a {censored}ing weird situation to be in.

We have in the works an album of all the throwaway pop songs we've done in fourth floor that haven't been 'fourth floor type' songs. Even the title is throwaway.
The philosophy behind it is 'to not care'.

This applies to music and other jobs. It sucks but my philosophy is gradually shifting.

• Members

Thanks mate. yeah, I am a bit bloody intellectual about the whole thing.
:o

What I'm coming to realise about life in general (and my philosophy is changing) is that I actually succeed a whole lot more when I just don't try. When I try, do my best, craft what I'm doing or care, I am less likely to succeed than if I don't care, relax and just let it happen. If you don't care so much if you fail then it's not big deal either. It's a {censored}ing weird situation to be in.

That's something I have long ago been at ease with, not that I don't care but that I'm not afraid to NOT care about all the things in music everybody else seems to think I ought to care about ... like what's in the TOP 40 ... what are the radio playing right now and all that {censored} - Radiohead are the darlings so let's all be Radiohead now type of care .... all I do is my own thing and even down to songs the whole idea behind Mansfield Crash for me is that it's a completely free expression of my songwriting in that I write not for genre but for my own creative outlet ... I'm not trying really hard to make each song stick within a certain set of principles and guidlines so I can corner a certain audience ... I just want things to flow and people to be surprised that this or that song can end up side by side in a set with a whole other type of song. There has been and is all too much of that for my taste in music these days.

Another aspect for me is not caring about the whole "I've got until I'm 35 or I'm a failure" type of {censored} ... I see people in the session industry making music and being successful into their 50's and beyond ... the key is adaptability. So I'm not seeing my time in music as a finite thing with a set of guidlines and deadlines. Music is pretty much all I know and my life and I plan to make it stay that way ... the main thing for me is that I see longevity as a choice in music - where there is a will there is a market --- for originality you have to pay a price the price of playing covers is immediate gratification in a monetary sense but nobody will remember you when the leaves blow over your grave that's for sure. So I don't care about the immediate thing I care about longevity in the old blues man sense of the word. If it means I'm nothing more than footnote in the music history pages then that's good enough for me but the lifestyle is what's important to me because the music IS the journey and nothing else.

• Members

I see a glass ceiling on the cover band thing. Sure, you might pull $2000 a show, 4 nights a week but that's as good as it gets.

What about filling the arenas, or at least theatres...?
What about making a memorable work of art that touches people's lives?
What about shaking the world off its axis just a little?
What about making an album or other works that stay with people for 20 years or 40 years or more?
What about writing a song as ubiquitous as Happy Birthday or Silent Night?

You're in a good position Simon and an artist in the sense of expression and the sessions pay the bills. The longevity thing is an interesting one. I'm just purely a creative person but I see a limit to how long I can sacrifice myself to the band grindstone. I can shake the world in a variety of ways, not just the songs, but I'd like it to be a song or preferably albums plural. Not that I'd stop making music, I'd just shift the goalposts a bit closer.

Geez, I thought for a while my 'not caring' thing had killed this thread. It was a bit leftfield but just been on my mind. I've been trying to get a casual job, so I can keep doing the band but I don't give a toss whether I get one or not and it's actually worked in my favour. The same has applied to music. I've bled over every single note for so long that fate will conspire to have me succeed when i stop trying. It's {censored}in weird.

• Members

I see a glass ceiling on the cover band thing. Sure, you might pull $2000 a show, 4 nights a week but that's as good as it gets.

What about filling the arenas, or at least theatres...?

What about making a memorable work of art that touches people's lives?

What about shaking the world off its axis just a little?

What about making an album or other works that stay with people for 20 years or 40 years or more?

What about writing a song as ubiquitous as Happy Birthday or Silent Night?

You're in a good position Simon and an artist in the sense of expression and the sessions pay the bills. The longevity thing is an interesting one. I'm just purely a creative person but I see a limit to how long I can sacrifice myself to the band grindstone. I can shake the world in a variety of ways, not just the songs, but I'd like it to be a song or preferably albums plural. Not that I'd stop making music, I'd just shift the goalposts a bit closer.

Geez, I thought for a while my 'not caring' thing had killed this thread. It was a bit leftfield but just been on my mind. I've been trying to get a casual job, so I can keep doing the band but I don't give a toss whether I get one or not and it's actually worked in my favour. The same has applied to music. I've bled over every single note for so long that fate will conspire to have me succeed when i stop trying. It's {censored}in weird.

Well I'd rather be in your shoes Dan than mine in terms of musical fullfilment ... your doing 90% of the creative thing that's about your own thing - I'm doing 90% of the session end ( My own stuff too but NOT LIVE - yet!!! ) which is seasonal and up and down like an actors work - you're out of work until your not and nothing is ever solid beneath you. For me knowing I've got a tour coming up and bandmates to work with and gigs sheduled would be perfect since I live for that side of things as it stands, so kudos to you - your living the life.

My big frustration right now is that finding other members thing ( you've heard this rant before haven't you ) ... but I've an evil plan to stick an ad in the current Drum rag and see what the dragnet brings to the surface. Ah well mate there's always that NEW Midnight Oil band that we can put together if it comes to it.

• Members

an Oils type band would go down a treat right now i reckon...

maaaaan, it's so much frustration.

we haven't had much luck with street press for members. It's more messageboards. MelBand is the one here. we've had no responses from pin up boards at studios and shops and street press ads. weird.

• Members

an Oils type band would go down a treat right now i reckon...

maaaaan, it's so much frustration.

we haven't had much luck with street press for members. It's more messageboards. MelBand is the one here. we've had no responses from pin up boards at studios and shops and street press ads. weird.

RE an Oils type band ... you bet --- let me know when your ready and I'll shave my head!

As for the band posts etc ... I have used every message board for band members known to man on the internet - I use Fasterlouder also and have got a few nibbles but people are either totally not right or flakey or whatever the third worst thing is. I've got a guy interested right now but who knows how committed people are? I've had so many people be yeah let's do it and then just drop off and give some lame excuse once they understand it's more than just wishing and minor effort.

If I could just push myself as a solo artist I'd do it but I can't gig without a band ... I prefer to play in a band and share the vibe but I just have to believe that things are happening for a reason. Actually I met a guy who runs the Bass Player in Sydney who is a bassist and is in another band and I was trying out a bass with flatwounds cause I want to get some for my home bass - anyway he gave me his bass to try as he had semi's on and he really liked my bass playing and told me I played bass like a bassist ( I had told him I was a guitarist ) ... anyway we chatted and he said let's have a jam ... so there's that to follow up on but you've really got to work hard to get out and try and make connections these days. I've still got a band ad hanging in at Pete's in NEwtown and it's been there for 2 years and not a single call!

It will change with this new ad I am sure but y'know?!!!! Arghhhhhh!!!

• Members

and I'll put on the paisley shirt.

you mentioning Pete's reminds me, we're heading up your way tomorrow!!!

4 shows around NSW. The Hoeptoun show will be a cracker. Tiny stage but 3 top bands.

Sweet ... where are you staying when in Sydney mate? I'll PM you my number - if you've got any downtime during the day let's meet up in the city and have a knock about if you're into it ... maybe hit a couple of guitar shops etc - I've still got to go check out GlobalVintage which has some VERY sweet gear and pedals.

I'll PM you ....

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Sweet ... where are you staying when in Sydney mate? I'll PM you my number - if you've got any downtime during the day let's meet up in the city and have a knock about if you're into it ... maybe hit a couple of guitar shops etc - I've still got to go check out GlobalVintage which has some VERY sweet gear and pedals.

I'll PM you ....

Cool.

we stay at our manager's place in Stanmore, just around from the corner from the Annandlae and Jackson's Rare Guitars, and it's a short walk into Newtown too.

It'd be cool to meet up and check out some stores. Maybe not the best trip to do it casue there is a show every night and they're around the place a bit, Manly, the Gong, Cronulla as well as the Surry Hills show and then not a great deal of downtime compared to some other trips sadly. But we'll see what we can do. PM me your number again.

• Members

Geeez, hope you can make the Surry Hill show then...The Manly one is a bit of a warm up to be honest. We've been quietly warned about the venue being a bit average. We have a bass player in Sydney and the manly show is the warm up for the tour :D We've done plenty of shows recently with him, so it shouldn't be an issue.

• Members

Geeez, hope you can make the Surry Hill show then...The Manly one is a bit of a warm up to be honest. We've been quietly warned about the venue being a bit average. We have a bass player in Sydney and the manly show is the warm up for the tour
:D
We've done plenty of shows recently with him, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I just sent another PM ... but yeah I'd love to come to the Surrey H gig ... definately! The only thing that may prevent it is me being on my own - not much fun without the buddy system --- so perhaps I could round up either Merkin or Mike Ibrihim if he's willing or both and hit the gig ... :)

• Members

Tired of bars and working originals. Ok, Can people dance to your music? Can they sing along..how are your harmonies? Generally people like to connect to a band if they can relate. Your sets may need a couple of covers with your on twist on it.
Venues ...univeristies, colleges have an audience that will take you in as their band. They will learn your originals, buy your shirts. If your good and provide an emotional connection..breaks happen!

my dos centavos.

Archived