I am so F'n sick of the bar scene (gig's that is)...

wacopacco

• Members

we had our usual gig last night at one of the local bars. And right from the first song, our sound was HORRIBLE. Vox were inaudible, acoustic wasn't there at all, and the speaker was fuzzing out anything that went through it. Well, of course bar patrons have little patience or respect for live music so of course they left after 3 songs, i would have to. We never got the sound right for some reason. So the whole 4 hours we played our asses off, taking 2 15 minute breaks as usual, but never once getting a decent sound.

of course the bar owner wasn't happy, he paid us 300 instead of 350 that we usualy get there. Which was 300 more than i thought we were worth last night.

the bar scene sucks. I need to find a way for an indie/rock/funk band to make it without having to do the bar grind....:confused:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by wacopacco

the bar scene sucks. I need to find a way for an indie/rock/funk band to make it without having to do the bar grind....
:confused:

Study bands that have made it to see how they did it.

• Members

Video tape a gig and look at it, after a week. It helps to see how your set flows and what you portray...I have a bass player with attitude it shows!
"Going through songs" and connecting with an audience is rough when your sound is not there. With humid days electrical connections and pots develop wierd problems!

• Members
Originally posted by TheVibe

Video tape a gig and look at it, after a week. It helps to see how your set flows and what you portray...I have a bass player with attitude it shows!

"Going through songs" and connecting with an audience is rough when your sound is not there. With humid days electrical connections and pots develop wierd problems!

see thats not the problem. we have no trouble connecting with the audience. i'm just fed up with bar gigs. There is a totally different audience at bars than at actual concerts.

• Members

im not sure what its like in your area but in mine there are tons of local venues that are for shows(not just bars). Since your band has a recording i would think it would be very easy to get on a lot of shows with local bands, or touring band coming through your area for that matter.

• Members

My band struggled a bit for the first set last night but I cleared things up and we went on for a strong finish... Do you have an EQ for the vocals? are your 500-8K frequencies boosted a bit? Are the speakers placed up high? above head level?

those things help quite a bit...

• Members
Originally posted by itstartsstoppin

im not sure what its like in your area but in mine there are tons of local venues that are for shows(not just bars). Since your band has a recording i would think it would be very easy to get on a lot of shows with local bands, or touring band coming through your area for that matter.

well here in upstate ny, there is allmost no local original scene, unless your into metal or punk. For the stuff we play, were definately in the wrong area. Tho we've been contacted from a canadian band about doing a small tour with them, which would be awesome.

• Members
Originally posted by BrianPhase90

My band struggled a bit for the first set last night but I cleared things up and we went on for a strong finish... Do you have an EQ for the vocals? are your 500-8K frequencies boosted a bit? Are the speakers placed up high? above head level?

those things help quite a bit...

yep we have and do all of the things you listed above. We narrowed the problem down to the drums being too hot and not for the system and room we were in. Thats not the only problem tho, but it didn't help. Also there was a hot frequency in the mic's that we couldn't find so were getting a pink noise generator which will find all the hot frequency's in the room, and cut them out. Leaving us to adjust the eq on the board accordingly.

• Members

Originally posted by wacopacco

well here in upstate ny, there is allmost no local original scene, unless your into metal or punk. For the stuff we play, were definately in the wrong area. Tho we've been contacted from a canadian band about doing a small tour with them, which would be awesome.

Sorry to hear that. How far are you from NYC, it would seem like there would be tons of options there? Also, i would research some cities that are within 1-2 hours of you and start trying to get on shows with bands from those cities who have a strong following. Good luck!

• Members

the 'bar scene' up here is generally reserved for stereotypical 70s/80s radio, top 40 cover bands. It's generally just a handful of 50 year old guys playing "Brown Eyed Girl" on overpriced equipment; huffing out the fog machines.

Not very youth oriented in a college town.

I wanted to get togather with my guys and play originals with random odd cover songs from all kinds of decades, but they're both falling into the lagging 'scene mentallity' that we need to play Ozzy's "Paranoid" and some AC/DC cover.

I'm not one for that music (mainly because that's ALL that's up here in the rural depths of northern Maine) and I've been 'fighting' it for quite a while. {censored}, I play Elvis Costello, Jeff Buckley, and old Woody Guthrie tunes when I play the open mics.

It's just an odd, place for me, and most of the guys who are willing to play want to play stuff that I don't feel that I can play or want to play.

I'm just not into KISS.

• Members

were about 3 1/2 hours up from nyc. The only real cities are Albany, and Saratoga. And again, original stuff is either metal, punk, or the occasional solo acoustic thing that a handfull of people like.

and Tributejohnny that sounds like the exact same scene we have here. A bunch of balding middle-age med with mullets cranking out Kiss, Allman, Foghat, and God knows what else from the 70's-80's. Typical local bar band guitarist will be seen with a strat of some sort, line 6 spider amp, a d a tubescreamer:freak: :freak: :freak:

:evil:

• Members

Around here we have NO balding old guys in cover bands with expensive stuff... there is an alright scene in the town 30 minutes south of here. 4-5 venues specifically for bands, and most all of the bands that play there are all Hardcore, some branching into ambient rock, some emo, some acoustic acts... I like the scene around here. I'm also glad that there are no balding old guys playing songs from the 80's.

• Members

here's a sad fact:

people don't know about Bob Dylan up here.

it's not an influential thing as much as top 40 and millions of records (but don't take my word for that either).

I reference my love for Elvis Costello, Velvet Underground, and Woody Guthrie and most people up here give me an odd look.

i don't know how to describe my situation even more than a continuous generation gap.

• Members

well.

sometimes people yell about me not playing 70s and 80s songs until I tell them that I just played a bunch of big 70s/80s tunes....they just didn't know them.

also, the bars up here want you to play 3-4 hours worth of music with only 10 minute breaks...mostly contunious without talking. For the amount of time, effort, and sweat you piss out- you feel like you're being underpaid.

Most places have little or no PA system to nicely support a band- which means you have to scrape one up for yourself somehow....and with me and my guys, it's NOT an option (poor college kids who work for a living and cannot set aside cash for a $1000 PA system that would work nicely in a small bar).

I guess I'm ranting now...

Archived