WC - USA ( It's WAR! ) Vs Italy

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

those skinny dudes are going to run circles around us.

You've got the wrong African people mate ... take another look at the Ghanains! All those boys are super muscular and fit - certainly not skinny ... they are big strong fit men.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by arexjay

I don't think US deserved that result. They played well, MUCH better than the game against the Czech's, but the only reason they got on the board was the own goal.

Sure but Italy did it to themselves and after that the US did a commendable job of making Italy look ordinary with only 9 men ... give some credit.

• Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

You've got the wrong African people mate ... take another look at the Ghanains! All those boys are super muscular and fit - certainly not skinny ... they are big strong fit men.

???

they look skinny to me.

2847392045.jpg

• Members

Sure but Italy did it to themselves and after that the US did a commendable job of making Italy look ordinary with only 9 men ... give some credit.

yeah man, c'mon. on goal or not, they held their own...sometime luck is a part of it.

edit: whoops, quoted the wrong post.

• Members

USA should of had that game for me.

McBride wasn't offside as he wasn't intefering with play. It was a shot by Beasely and he was moving back.

Also they should of had a penalty for a handball.

USA played superbly whereas Italy didn't have the creativity to hack open the USA defence and get the goal.

• Members

Yeah ... let's assume all African people are skinny from the constant famines and run allot due to lack of transport.

I tell ya though - when USA play Ghana I know who will be slipping it in.
:eek::thu:

I was impressed....USA played like they were interested!
:thu:

• Members

Great game to watch, lots of action.

Italy was ugly as always (no offense to Calcio-natics, but that's classic Italy in my book).

US cameback in great fashion after the last game and outplayed the italians even with 9x10 men on the field.

Kudos to Bruce Arena for the tactical change - 3-6-1 changing to 9-1 when defending and 3-7 when attacking (well, at least until the end of the first half that is), and an interesting/dangerous 3-3-2 at the end of the game - he's kinda arrogant, but he's also smart nonetheless.

...and US was playing their heart out in that field, alot different from the previous game against the Czechs.

Lippi should've let both Totti and Del Piero play (at the same time!?), that would make Italy a lot more stronger, focused and creative when attacking (and interesting - 'cause I was bored with all the long ball/cross attempts leading to nowhere).

Great calls by the referee (Jorge - ? - Larrionda), it was a rough match and he did a great job. It's difficult enough to be the one with the whistle and the players weren't helpful this time - the first match with a higher degree of difficulty, alot more to come on the closing matches of the group stage and I'm not even talking about the 2nd stage.

• Members

Originally posted by whowasthursday

By the way, the ref called the offside on McBride because he was blocking the goalkeeper's view, which made him involved in the play.

+1

That's absolutely right.

The referee was great, as I've said on the previous post - both assistants were great also.

• Members

USA didn't do bad. A draw with Italy is not the easiest thing in football. The key was that they keep their offensives in the game, despite the 2 men missing. This way, the italians could not attack massively.

So now this group has much interest! USA can STILL qualify for the next round, with a win against ghana, and a win of italy against czechs!

• Members

i think italy thought this was gonna be a walk in the park, but the us showed a persistent fire in their pace setting of the game. italy showed great

skill i believe later in the game alas to no avail, but

even though i salute the us for their much improved playing, i will say italy is a better team,

if they were to play 10 times i give italy 8 victories. some good and bad ref calls on both sides. italy really beat themselves, and when they

are agressive as they were in the second half, they must score:rolleyes: one on one they are all

really good players, but......... the world cup, no:(

Originally posted by Ultra.Fuzz

+1

That's absolutely right.

The referee was great, as I've said on the previous post - both assistants were great also.

the red card to pope was bull. other than that, yeah, the refs were ok.

• Members
Originally posted by silvrcrank

the red card to pope was bull. other than that, yeah, the refs were ok.

Although I think Pope had his shirt pulled on (almost) every play on the first half (and the referee couldn't see that - although the assistant should've), I think it was fair enough: since he made two fouls that clearly deserved a yellow card, yellow+yellow=red.

It was a difficult game and he did a great job - I mean, yeah, if the referees were allowed to see lots and lots of replays from different angles... But it's not like that.

The referees from the previous games weren't as brilliant, far from it really. Ivory Coast should've had at least 4 (!) penalty kicks against Netherlands, for example - and what about Figo getting his head kicked martial arts-style by that Iranian defender? (No card, no foul, just a throw in... :eek: )

• Members

Good match, too bad the US couldn't pull off the win. But at least they got a result.

But why is it any time I've ever watched Italy play I get the feeling they take acting classes (of course, the same could be said for many a soccer/football team).

Archived