Is it possible to "expand" the sweep of my wah?

Joeyd999

• Members

I never use my wah pedal in the "traditional" sence- no ripping solos or whatnot. I mostly use my wah (a simple dunlop crybaby) for filter-sweep type sounds with lots of delay or ambience for more spacy/experimental sounds. I don't use it alot, and the sweep of the thing is pretty wide, but I wouldent mind if it went further (ie. absoloute rumbling to insanely ear-piecring). Is this easy to do? Is it a matter of chaning a potentimeter (or tweaking a trim pot... even easier) or will this be too difficult for my non-electronic self?

Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by Joeyd999

I never use my wah pedal in the "traditional" sence- no ripping solos or whatnot. I mostly use my wah (a simple dunlop crybaby) for filter-sweep type sounds with lots of delay or ambience for more spacy/experimental sounds. I don't use it alot, and the sweep of the thing is pretty wide, but I wouldent mind if it went further (ie. absoloute rumbling to insanely ear-piecring). Is this easy to do? Is it a matter of chaning a potentimeter (or tweaking a trim pot... even easier) or will this be too difficult for my non-electronic self?

Thanks.

if i understand things correctly you want to actually change the resistors, putting them in series.

check out http://geofex.com/.

there's an article on Technology of the Wah

Rw: Sweeps the Wah. Usually 100K. The exact value may not be too important as long as Rb3 and the gain of Q2 are large enough. Can be modified with tapering resistors to get a specific sweep, and the sweep can be narrowed by putting fixed resistors in series with the outside ends of it. Usually people want the opposite, a sweep across more of the range in a smaller foot pedal travel.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

if i understand things correctly you want to actually change the resistors, putting them in series.

Thanks for the quick reply. It says that putting these resistors in series will "decrease" the sweep. In which case, will changing the value of the origonal resistor increase the sweep? Should I be moving up or down in my case? I found their discription a little too vague to completely understand.

• Members
Originally posted by Joeyd999

Thanks for the quick reply. It says that putting these resistors in series will "decrease" the sweep. In which case, will changing the value of the origonal resistor increase the sweep? Should I be moving up or down in my case? I found their discription a little too vague to completely understand.

whoops. you're right.

so, looking at the article again, it may be the capacitor marked Cf.
more precisely, you shouldn't be listening to me cuz i don't know what the hell i'm talking about. :wave:

just try an old Morley WVO. hugest sweep known to man.

• Members

Originally posted by bbrunskill

Can help you with the electronics, but try a DOD FX-17. They have a massive sweep with highs that can tear your head off.

+1

any solutions for the volume drop in wah mode?

the DOD's sweep can be about as wide as the Morley's but the Morley does more screaming harmonics and the like. a bit less synthy too.

Archived