OT-- Yinzers, where's all dem good used gear stores in Pittsburgh?

• Members

I'm going to be back in the 'Burgh sometime in August and I'm trying to remember where all the good stores are. Johnny B. Goode's closed down when the Rocks flooded years ago, right? Is Piano's N' Stuff still outrageously expensive? Where should I go to search for used gear?

• Members

Originally posted by SpectralJulian

Johnny B. Goode moved, it didn't close! There is are 2 places on the south side with stuff. I can't remember what they are called, but one sells ricks and the other one is a CD store that just sells used stuff.

sounds cool. i know of a store in japan that has used stuff and the other side is a butcher shop. same guy. no kidding

• Members

Originally posted by SpectralJulian

Johnny B. Goode moved, it didn't close! There is are 2 places on the south side with stuff. I can't remember what they are called, but one sells ricks and the other one is a CD store that just sells used stuff.

That's good to hear. I bought my first piece of vintage gear there-- a Fender reverb tank from the 70's for $25. Good place.

Is one of the stores you're thinking of Pittsburgh Guitars or something, on Carson, by 17th street or so? I was never very impressed with their selection as a kid, but then again, my tastes have gotten a lot better.

• Members

Pittsburgh Guitars is on the southside, like you said. Their selection varies all the time. Swissvale Music sometimes has some decent stuff, but they can be hit or miss. Piano's "N Stuff isn't that bad anymore. I think they got smarter about the way that they run things. Music Go Round in Monroeville sometimes has some decent stuff, but that's hit or miss as well.

I actually buy almost everything online these days.

Archived