Peterson Strobostomp...

Pete

• Members

Hey what do you guys think of this tuner? I'm in the market for a tuner and i dont want to waste money on a garbage tuner, since the $25 cheapo tuner i have now is not very accurate. Can you really tell a difference if you tuned w/ the strobostomp vs. boss tuner pedal? thanks fellas.

• Members

This thread should get interesting. Do a search for the Strobostomp and you should find some lengthy threads on it. There are lovers and haters of it. I think more lovers though. I know I really dig mine. Definitely makes a difference. :thu:

• Members

Pros:
- only true bypass pedal tuner
- far more accurate than TU-2
- tracks and holds notes better than TU-2
- pretty good customer support
- good display
- lots of programmability
- great for intonating guitars
- 'sweetened' tuning setting is very nice

Cons:
- some flimsiness in the construction like weak jack connections, plastic top cover coming away
- some have had display freeze etc
- ugly blue race car design

If they made it as tough as the TU-2 it would be a no-brainer. As it is, for the money, I'd give it 3 stars.:wave:

• Members

I'd agree with the pros and cons above. In my opinion, it is a fantastic tuner. I have never used a non-strobe tuner that was more sensitive than my ear. The strobo is, and has a lot of great features.

I had a problem one day with the dc power jack, but that was it. I bought it right when they came out, as did my bass player. That's the only problem we've had. I like the race car shape.

I keep it set to true bypass, so when I switch on the tuner my signal cuts out. For onstage I consider that a must, although you can set it to tune all the time, which could be useful on the fly.

If you buy one, wall wart is the way to go-- batteries don't last long, and as they die, the display gets dimmer. (Although it still tunes up.)

• Members
Originally posted by 4Kenoath

Pros:

Cons:

- some flimsiness in the construction like weak jack connections, plastic top cover coming away

If they made it as tough as the TU-2 it would be a no-brainer. As it is, for the money, I'd give it 3 stars.
:wave:

Glad I held off when I did all those months ago actually ... I will admit the shape of tuner did nothing for me along with the colour.

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Glad I held off when I did all those months ago actually ... I will admit the shape of tuner did nothing for me along with the colour.

I'll get another one eventually if they fix the short comings (may be they have already??).

It's far better and more useful than the TU-2 IMHO. Peterson almost got it right.

• Members

Originally posted by loofery

I like my Korg DT-10.

I don't like spending much time tuning and i'm afraid since the Peterson is so precise I'd take forever trying to hit the nail on the head. My tuning keys seem overly sensitive already.

It's no slower than a TU-2 in my experience...once you get used to the method which is easy.

I never tried to always get the strobe display to stop dead, but it's pretty quick to get close, where it's hovering so close it doesn't matter.

• Members

Originally posted by Pete

Hey what do you guys think of this tuner? I'm in the market for a tuner and i dont want to waste money on a garbage tuner, since the $25 cheapo tuner i have now is not very accurate. Can you really tell a difference if you tuned w/ the strobostomp vs. boss tuner pedal? thanks fellas.

the TU-2 is built tough and gets you in the ballpark...but it is not accurate enough for doing setups

get the strobostomp..your ears will thank you...

• Members
Originally posted by 4Kenoath

Pros:

- only true bypass pedal tuner

- far more accurate than TU-2

- tracks and holds notes better than TU-2

- pretty good customer support

- good display

- lots of programmability

- great for intonating guitars

- 'sweetened' tuning setting is very nice

Cons:

If they made it as tough as the TU-2 it would be a no-brainer. As it is, for the money, I'd give it 3 stars.
:wave:

These are all true.

I'd give it a black mark for live playing too. It's tougher to follow on stage than a DT10 or TU2. I wouldn't use a TU2 though. The DT10 is a winner.
It's fine if you're doing a setup or you're at home and you can switch to neck pickup, roll volume down a little and fret at the twelfth with your thumb or some weird {censored}. {censored} THAT! On stage I'm lucky to get 10 seconds to tune.

The Strobo isn't on my board at the moment as well, cause it can't be powered by a Powerall. It sucks too much juice. It was fine with my Juice Box however.

I'm keeping the Strobo for around the house but it's a lot of cash to throw down for an around the hosue tuner.

• Members
Originally posted by Tonemeister69

So before the Strobo came out and everybody was using the TU2 it was fine?
:rolleyes:

Not really...I got rid of two TU2's before I knew of the SS. I planned to get the Korg when I heard about the SS.

• Members
Originally posted by Tonemeister69

So before the Strobo came out and everybody was using the TU2 it was fine?
:rolleyes:

It was a good stage tuner design. A better option would have been to have the TU in a loop or even a TU12 or whatever else....so there were other options rather than the TU2 and it introduced some great features as a stage tuner.

It was fine if you liked or compensated for it's suckingness. It is a certified tone sucker.

Everyone was ready for a stage tuner from Peterson....they just haven't quite covered off all the issues.

• Members
Originally posted by Mistersuperfly

Come up with something unforgivably bad about it! Now!

Save me the 180$!

Because I WILL buy one...

Gas pains, blegh.

The reviews show that the reliability hasn't been a huge problem. I'm still not sure if Peterson have made adjustments to their manufacture to sort some of the weaknesses. I asked at TGP and as usual, got no response.:rolleyes:

• Members

I've had one on my pedalboard for months now and love it. I have no problems tuning live with it and it is really easy to see on a dark stage, actually it is impossible to miss.

I do think the input/output jacks are crap though, could use a definite upgrade. I leave mine plugged in so there is no problem.

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

I'd give it a black mark for live playing too. It's tougher to follow on stage than a DT10 or TU2.

I have absolutely no problem following it onstage, and can tune very quickly with it, and best of all, can trust that it will be accurate when it says I'm there. I've been using it since when it first came out, though, so I'm very comfortable with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived