Mark Knopfler

RockNote

• Members

Originally posted by stereotypy

i think i saw his rig in a guitar magazine. i remember seeing 2 tc electronic rack delays other rack stuff and soladno heads?? something like that?? ...

Yes, but this is going virtually direct. He's got that classic DS tone, now with an LP - does he go through an Orange Squeezer, or is it in his bare hands?

• Members

i don't know.....to me, when i think of mark knopfler tone, it's that sweet fingerstyle-compressor-slight chorusy-out of phase strat tone.....truly one of the few minimalist tonemeisters that make me want to run out and buy a strat....Don't get me wrong, that overdriven les paul tone was cool, but it seemed way too generic for me....we've all heard that tone so many times before by so many other people...I wanna hear Mark on a strat or an old Pensa suhr, myself.

• Members

Oh, i'm not disputing that at all...the guy's awesome...it's just that sometimes, when you get so used to hearing the tone that a certain player is known for, you tend to expect them to always sound like that....i feel the same way about old Cream or Bluesbreakers era Clapton vs. newer Clapton....but hey, i guess even the pros have a right to continue on the quest for their version of the elusive "perfect tone" just like anyone else;)

• Members

MK is just about my favorite, but I can never tell what he's using. I am always shocked when I look up or read about what he was using on a particular cut or a particular part, because it is never what I would guess.

Very often I'll hear something that sounds like it HAS to be an LP, and I'll find out its a strat or a pensa-suhr.

His tone seems to be a function of his playing style moreso than most.

Archived