How much gain does the Tone Bone Hot British have?

BR4D

• Members

It has a lot of gain, but it's overly smooth. I consider it more of a gainy classic rock sound then a metal sound. More Zep than Metallica.

Cool pedal, though, I get endless sustain with it as a solo boost.

• Members

Originally posted by mumford

It has a lot of gain, but it's overly smooth. I consider it more of a gainy classic rock sound then a metal sound. More Zep than Metallica.

Cool pedal, though, I get endless sustain with it as a solo boost.

Have you had a chance to compare it with a Crunch Box? If so how does it stack up?

• Members

I tried it out with a Vox AC15 combo (closest the store had to my amp) and my Carvin Holdsworth, and thought it did decent Metal sounds. Probably not modern, death-metal stuff, but definitely 80's thrash and shred tones. Tons of gain on tap, I gave up on it for that reason. Anything over about 11 - 12 o'clock started to be too much no matter how I had it eq'd. But I'm sure it would react very differently in front of another amp.

• Members

It does the 80's metal thing very well...maiden, judas priest, van halen style sounds. It won't really do modern chunky metal - its a hot rodded marshall tone rather than a mesa tone.

It does not really do plexi sounds, nor does it clean up very well. With the eq options there is some flexibility, but it pretty much has tons of gain. It does respond well to the dynamics of your playing but even on softer notes you can still hear the distortion - it gets softer, rather than cleaning up.

Still it is a very good sounding pedal. It's definitely one of the most harmonically rich sounding pedals I've ever heard. If you have an arsenal of gain pedals that do different things, it may be a valuable addition.

Archived