Who is the foumite that builds the 18W Marshall clones?

Blungo

• Members

Yeah I went to his shop and he waved me down from his front yard. Really cool guy. I'm probably gonna have him mod my classic 30 whether I get a new amp soon or not. It was so cool because him and the other guy working with him kept asking about what people my age (I'm 20) play and stuff as far as gear goes and he pointed down at a Triple Rec and asked if I'd ever played one and I said no. He just looked at and said good. I laughed alot at that one.

• Members

Originally posted by Blungo

Those look great! Do you have any clean clips?

Thanks man. Here's one that's cleanish... the amp was cranked, I used the volume control on the guitar to vary the amount of gain.

Guitar used was a 2 humbucker custom firebird that a friend of mine built, he needed some help wiring it. I sent him a clip to show him how good the guitar sounded, and was messing with different pickups/tone control settings during the clip. I didn't touch the amp once during the recording, and it's one take - clams and all. I was just dickin' around.

Later on (the sweepy/wanky stuff) is with a pedal pushing it. *EDIT* pedal comes on during the 'extreme' riff/feedback. The pickups weren't potted, it wasn't the amp oscillating, it was the pickups in the guitar.

http://www.mothrastewart.com/images/18watt/sullyfirebird.mp3

Pete

• Members
Originally posted by Stratotone

Thanks man. Here's one that's cleanish... the amp was cranked, I used the volume control on the guitar to vary the amount of gain.

Guitar used was a 2 humbucker custom firebird that a friend of mine built, he needed some help wiring it. I sent him a clip to show him how good the guitar sounded, and was messing with different pickups/tone control settings during the clip. I didn't touch the amp once during the recording, and it's one take - clams and all. I was just dickin' around.

Later on (the sweepy/wanky stuff) is with a pedal pushing it. *EDIT* pedal comes on during the 'extreme' riff/feedback. The pickups weren't potted, it wasn't the amp oscillating, it was the pickups in the guitar.

http://www.mothrastewart.com/images/18watt/sullyfirebird.mp3

Pete

Nice! Thanks.:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by eethier

There is also Throbak, their clone looks really nice
:)

edit: I still think the Marshall 1974X is the best version because of the speaker and the mojo factor, its heavenly...

...and anyone wanting the real deal should get a marshall RI or see graydon at gdsamps.com, and avoid me. :) The stuff I build is based on the 18 watt, but then I mod them to suit the player. I know all the money is in using the exact same gauge wire Marshall used and matching the turret board exactly and making sure the transformer is exactly stock, etc - but I have no desire to build the same amp over and over. I like mine to be a little different and just for the person I'm building for, unless they want one like someone else had.

I do stuff that the real Marshalls didn't and should have imho... shielded wire on the grids and longer signal runs (lower noise, less chance of oscillation) 1% metal film resistors for less hiss and better thermal stability, I cut back on the screen voltage and bias slightly so you can use easily available EL84 tubes and burn through a set a month, I have a little more filtering in the power section, etc. I think mine still sound like a Marshall, just one that sounds really good to me.

Pete

Archived